Cracked windscreen

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

I came out from work Yesterday to find a 40cm long crack in my windscreen, it looks like it started at the bottom of the screen and moved upwards. There are no stone chips in the screen. Yesterday was a warm day here with heavy showers. I presume it was caused by cold rain hitting a warm screen.

I'm booked in with Autoglass for a screen replacement on the 7th June at their centre in Brent Cross shopping centre. They said it will take a precise 1 hour 36 minutes to do and I'll have to leave it for another 30 minutes before driving for the adhesive to cure. It has to be done at one of their fixed centres as it requires a camera alignment after the change as the car has 'an advanced camera system'. The insurance excess is £75 so not too bad.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38

Mo1

Post by Mo1 »

:shock: sorry to hear that, I remember reading somewhere else of a similar occurrence, the screen must be under some stress somehow.
iD3 Tour 77kWh, White 73 Plate.
Octopus energy £50 referral https://share.octopus.energy/ashen-mule-519

Octopus Juice £5 referral https://electricjuice.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=ashen-mule-519
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I think Monkeyhanger has some tales of repeated windscreen woe about a Golf he owned...

Driving 10-15k of motorway miles a year, I tend to accept that a broken windscreen will happen every 3-5 years on average... just the general crap on the carriageways that gets flicked up by trucks/other cars etc.. usually the worst is when some idiot cuts across the chevrons to make a late junction exit...

Hope it goes smoothly - I had two replaced on my Volvo V40 (heated screen - with radar thingy) and despite both being OEM's there was no difference from the original. Best bit for me was watching the fitters electric mastic/sealant gun with a V shaped nozzle so the glue comes out a consistent thickness. On my 'tools I'd like but never use' list :D
evfan

Post by evfan »

I previously had a Golf GTI 7.5.

Front windscreen smashed completely a day after a very, very tiny stonechip. VW weren't interested.

A few months later, rear windscreen spontaneously smashed! Once again VW weren't interested.
Last edited by evfan on Wed May 25, 2022 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
2022 ID.3 Max
:!: InstaVolt - download & get £5 free credit (code: qh46N) https://driver.emsp.instavolt.co.uk/referral/qh46N
:!: BONNET (inc IONITY) - download & get £15 free credit (code: RXRDG)
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

From what I've gathered there are a couple of companies who manufacture the screens for the ID.3 and presumably it will be one of these who supply Autoglass. I've seen them do a few screen replacements where I work and they always appear to do a good job. I'll be taking some pictures of the screen alignment and trim fits before I take the car in though.

I spoke to my dealership Yesterday and the replacement Family Pro Performance that's on order for me is still an unconfirmed build week 27 which is only 6 weeks away now so surely it can't slip that much further then this car will become the dealerships problem until they move it on. My current first edition has been apart that many times to replace the ECU twice, the headlight controller, keyless entry controller and steering column circuit board, plus a connector on the wiring loom had to be replaced as they presumably bent some pins when re-fitting it to the steering column PCB.

Being an Engineer I also appreciate magic tools that make the job easier, but couldn't see the need for me to own and electric sealant gun. I once played a game of I've got X power tool and raise you a Y with my colleagues. We all agreed that we had lost when one chap raised the bar by a JCB he had!
Deleted User 2515

Post by Deleted User 2515 »

One of my clients has a Tesla 3. The screen needs replacing....and

No replacements in the UK. 6 month wait!!!

This is what happens when an entrepreneur has an idea to sell EVs but doesn't put the spares and repairs infrastructure in place.

Anyone had similar stories?
Braddad9

Post by Braddad9 »

grudgey wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:08 pm One of my clients has a Tesla 3. The screen needs replacing....and

This is what happens when an entrepreneur has an idea to sell EVs but doesn't put the spares and repairs infrastructure in place.

What on Earth are you on about. The Model 3 is a 5 year old car. Shortages are literally everywhere at the moment and you are just cherry picking to suit your narrative.
ID3 Max Pro Performance - Scale Silver
Order: 3140****
Original ETA - Late April/Early May
Delivery scheduled - 18 May 2022
Deleted User 2515

Post by Deleted User 2515 »

Braddad9 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:58 pm
grudgey wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:08 pm One of my clients has a Tesla 3. The screen needs replacing....and

What on Earth are you on about. The Model 3 is a 5 year old car. Shortages are literally everywhere at the moment and you are just cherry picking to suit your narrative.

Actually I wasn't.
I was relaying what my client said.
Apologies but no need to be rude.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Your client will be going through Autoglass or National who will avoid dealing with Tesla direct.

Instead your client should deal with Tesla direct and make an insurance claim for the cost.

There were temporary shortages at the beginning of the year, but they’ve rapidly cleared.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
EssEhJay

Post by EssEhJay »

Interesting that you have a date for a windscreen replacement. Mine cracked in what sounds like a very similar manner to the OP back in April. It took me a week or so to get round to booking the replacement with Autoglass which made it the first few days of May when the claim went in and I paid my excess. 5 or so weeks later and Autoglass still can't get a windscreen in stock for my 1st edition with no forecast available.
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

Mine was replaced by Autoglass on Tuesday, they said that the screen came directly from VW as there are no pattern parts for it yet. He said that they had done another ID.3 the previous week and that their Boreham wood branch was changing one on the same day. It didn't sound like they were having difficulty getting them.
EssEhJay

Post by EssEhJay »

Strangely enough, within an hour of my gripe above, Autoglass called and have booked me in for next week. A genuine marked item would be nice but it's matters not as I have another ID3 on order anyway.