Enabling Travel Assist with OBD11

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

One other cool thing of activating TA is the display on the binnacle. When you activate it instead of just having the lane ahead and the car in front the ACC is latched to highlighted in blue - but you get the lanes either side and all the cars/trucks in those lanes too. Worth scrolling to the larger view for that. I’d have taken a pic but best not while driving 😁 all quite impressive.

I want a capacitive touch steering wheel now!!

Betty b

Post by Betty b »

😂😂😂 me too
I’ll have a look at the larger screen next time I’m out 👍
Think I found high been assist memory too but car is on charge so will have to wait, will update if I get it working.
Cupra Born V2 in Vapar Grey 58kw
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

What does the high beam assist memory actually do? (I have a lowly life pro model so possibly nothing)
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

If you have high beam assist every time you switch of you have to re set to make it Auto again, my god how things have changed when I can’t be bothered to switch main beam on any more 😂😂😂
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Just looking at lane/ travel assist, you can make the intervention early to late in adaptation I think.
davmatjo

Post by davmatjo »

Betty W wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:15 pm Only problem I found is it didn’t take long before it was beeping and telling me to put my hands back on the wheel, then it started to slow the car and activate the hazards, wasn’t until I got home I checked the menu and found option in LA to turn this off.

So as said it’s not perfect but very cool and now don’t have a blank button, wondering now if the the time delay can be lengthened?
It sounds like the Born doesn't have a capacitive wheel by default either then.

Just to confirm, what did your byte strings end up being before and after coding?
THR32

Post by THR32 »

Evening all,

Many thanks for the tips… I’m really keen to get Travel Assist enabled on my MY22.5 Family Performance. Does anyone close to Colchester happen to have an ODB11 and the smarts to to do this that they would be willing to share for a contribution to the cost of the OBD11?

Many thanks
TH
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

THR32 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:11 pm Many thanks for the tips… I’m really keen to get Travel Assist enabled on my MY22.5 Family Performance. Does anyone close to Colchester happen to have an ODB11 and the smarts to to do this that they would be willing to share for a contribution to the cost of the OBD11?
Each to their own, but I personally would not recommend this option. If you have any warranty issues, breakdown or return to the dealer, I would highly recommend immediately returning it back to default. Having an random internet friend who may be miles away from you with the device might be a very bad idea.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

davmatjo wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:48 pm
Betty W wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:15 pm Only problem I found is it didn’t take long before it was beeping and telling me to put my hands back on the wheel, then it started to slow the car and activate the hazards, wasn’t until I got home I checked the menu and found option in LA to turn this off.

So as said it’s not perfect but very cool and now don’t have a blank button, wondering now if the the time delay can be lengthened?
It sounds like the Born doesn't have a capacitive wheel by default either then.

Just to confirm, what did your byte strings end up being before and after coding?
Before bytes 6 7 and 8 are 08 E0 and 07

After bytes 6 7 8 are 10 F4 and 16

My 3 day old born was full of faults,one worryingly transport Mode so I doubt they’ll notice my travel assist coding.
THR32

Post by THR32 »

mediaguy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:15 pm Each to their own, but I personally would not recommend this option. If you have any warranty issues, breakdown or return to the dealer, I would highly recommend immediately returning it back to default. Having an random internet friend who may be miles away from you with the device might be a very bad idea.
Hi Mediaguy,

I think you may have a point there. Although given my experience of dealerships of late I think expecting them to notice a config change that is standard on some models but not others may be crediting them with more care than they deserve!

Take care

TH
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yes its a good point.
Some chat on the Italian OBD thread I linked to at the beginning - and on the OBD11 forum that getting some of these options wrong may throw error codes that are logged. Its NOT resulted in any issues/malfunctions with how the car works - but IIRC these will show up as logged errors if VW plug it in and look (which they probably wont!). In any case - you can easily clear these codes with OBD11 :)
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

THR32 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:26 am
mediaguy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:15 pm Each to their own, but I personally would not recommend this option. If you have any warranty issues, breakdown or return to the dealer, I would highly recommend immediately returning it back to default. Having an random internet friend who may be miles away from you with the device might be a very bad idea.
Hi Mediaguy,

I think you may have a point there. Although given my experience of dealerships of late I think expecting them to notice a config change that is standard on some models but not others may be crediting them with more care than they deserve!

Take care

TH
The process is probably automated via the software on their diagnostics unit.
scarecrow101

Post by scarecrow101 »

mediaguy wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:15 pm
THR32 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:11 pm Many thanks for the tips… I’m really keen to get Travel Assist enabled on my MY22.5 Family Performance. Does anyone close to Colchester happen to have an ODB11 and the smarts to to do this that they would be willing to share for a contribution to the cost of the OBD11?
Each to their own, but I personally would not recommend this option. If you have any warranty issues, breakdown or return to the dealer, I would highly recommend immediately returning it back to default. Having an random internet friend who may be miles away from you with the device might be a very bad idea.
Actually its alright, I can confirm I coded the travel assist with ODB eleven onto my friends Family pro performance, then his car developed a fault so I reversed everything and it went in last Friday, absolutely no problems at all with VW servicing and no warranty voided. If anything the car was showing lots of faults already, managed to look at them and clear them using ODB 11.
THR32 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:11 pm Evening all,

Many thanks for the tips… I’m really keen to get Travel Assist enabled on my MY22.5 Family Performance. Does anyone close to Colchester happen to have an ODB11 and the smarts to to do this that they would be willing to share for a contribution to the cost of the OBD11?

Many thanks
TH

Hey THR32, if you can drive down to Southend I can code your car for you, its no cost in ODB as its in the pro coding mode.
Family Pro Performance MY 22.5 | Software 3.0
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

Actually its alright, I can confirm I coded the travel assist with ODB eleven onto my friends Family pro performance, then his car developed a fault so I reversed everything
This is my point. I'm pro making the changes, but I wouldn't want to share the unit with someone I didn't know personally and could get hold of at very short notice. The ability to reverse the settings may become impossible if you are just sending PM's through a forum.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 11:46 am
THR32 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:26 am
Hi Mediaguy,

Take care

TH
The process is probably automated via the software on their diagnostics unit.
I made a few OBD11 alterations on our Family before it went in for its warranty 2.1 update to software version 2.2 and not a thing was said. With previous VWs I've added many things via VCDS (same Hexadecimal coding), and again, not a thing said when going in for warranty/servicing on multiple VAG cars since 2009 (the first one being the addition of XDS to a VW Scirocco - a £380 option at the time).

Unless your recoding is the cause of a warranty claim fault, they will not be bothered, if they even notice.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

MotMot wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 2:51 pm One other cool thing of activating TA is the display on the binnacle. When you activate it instead of just having the lane ahead and the car in front the ACC is latched to highlighted in blue - but you get the lanes either side and all the cars/trucks in those lanes too. Worth scrolling to the larger view for that. I’d have taken a pic but best not while driving 😁 all quite impressive.

I want a capacitive touch steering wheel now!!
I rarely see the lanes either side with vehicles in the other lanes. What conditions does the car need to be (motorway?) in order to see this?

I did see a quite impressive video of Travel Assist 2.0 on a Seat Leon (I think it's also available in Golfs) which showed multiple lanes and more realistic animations. Would be amazing if this found its way over to the ID3.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

It’s actually like the Leon one but without fancy animations (or a curve in the road)… and all the cars in the VW screen are little id3’s 😁

You need to be in a road with multiple lanes - otherwise there no lanes to have anything in the lanes next to you 😂
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

MotMot wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:37 am It’s actually like the Leon one but without fancy animations (or a curve in the road)… and all the cars in the VW screen are little id3’s 😁

You need to be in a road with multiple lanes - otherwise there no lanes to have anything in the lanes next to you 😂
The animations actually serve a purpose though in providing more confidence to the user that the car is actually seeing what you’re seeing. I’m just surprised the futuristic ID3 is already outdated when it comes to TA.

They do come up as trucks, motorbikes or pedestrians but the car can be comically bad at recognising the last 2.

As for lanes of course, even when driving in multiple lanes I’ve not seen the car recognise that.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

You need to have TA switched on before it shows multiple lanes.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

MotMot wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:22 pm You need to have TA switched on before it shows multiple lanes.
Well yes, that goes without saying!