Enabling Travel Assist with OBD11

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

rikimaru wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:44 pm
MotMot wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:22 pm You need to have TA switched on before it shows multiple lanes.
Well yes, that goes without saying!
Not necessarily- to clarify - because you can have just the ACC on and it will just show only your lane (and if there is a car on the RHS to stop you undertaking) - the other two lanes appear the moment you switch on TA. The display has to be large too (swipe right on the RH steering wheel view selector).

Betty b

Post by Betty b »

And as MotMot says I think you also need to swipe right to make the screen full size for this to show.
Last edited by Betty b on Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cupra Born V2 in Vapar Grey 58kw
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

MotMot wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 1:30 pm
rikimaru wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:44 pm
MotMot wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 12:22 pm You need to have TA switched on before it shows multiple lanes.
Well yes, that goes without saying!
Not necessarily- to clarify - because you can have just the ACC on and it will just show only your lane (and if there is a car on the RHS to stop you undertaking) - the other two lanes appear the moment you switch on TA. The display has to be large too (swipe right on the RH steering wheel view selector).
I'm aware that multiple lanes is a feature that is exclusive to TA (unless there is some hack that I don't know about). What I meant was when I tested it I was actually in TA and swiped left for the larger view but I still did not see the other lanes. It simply shows a single lane even when there were other lanes.

I guess there may need to be cars in the other lane for it to display multiple lanes?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

6DC5A9DE-4C0B-4266-9516-3108A9A70AEF.jpeg

Not my picture but gives you the travel assist in swipe right screen
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Had a run on the motorway today, travel assist works perfectly, resting just one hand on the wheel kept the dreaded warning at bay, other half took a pic of the expanded display.

47B4CB40-A0A7-4B10-8104-3A303D3323A3.png

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Basic question, as I haven't taken the plunge with a dongle yet - does OBD 11 provide some sort of basic reset to default/original function, or do you need to carefully write down the settings before you change them so that you can revert them later if necessary?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

Betty W wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:58 pm Had a run on the motorway today, travel assist works perfectly, resting just one hand on the wheel kept the dreaded warning at bay, other half took a pic of the expanded display.
Sounds like the cupra has a capacitive steering wheel as standard then, congratulations.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
roppenheimer

Post by roppenheimer »

I've tried this (adding TA) - it works but you have to engage ACC before you can activate TA. People with vehicles delivered with TA tell me that pressing the TA button also engages ACC - so there must be an additional bit of coding to be done. Anyone know what that is?

ID.3 1st Edition UK version
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I was resisting going down the OBDII route again (need to sell my old Ross-Tech Tool), but this modification obviously had got me interested. I have been in touch with a supplier about replacing my Ross-Tech device although this seems to be a more expensive route the VCDS tool has more functionality. Ross Tech however do not have a way to get around the SFD protected modules. (Maybe because they are based in US) They can use an unlock token but not generate one.

So I went back to OBDeleven which can unlock the SFD protection, and this led me to do a bit more in-depth reading around the topic. It appears that any access and changes made to a module would be logged and therefore any information including VIN number would be available to VW anyway. (As part of the agreement to allow access to VW servers to generate a token) The question really is whether VW are going to be looking at these updates being made or whether they just put the clauses in the contract for some other future use, but it seems clear that any SFD unlock info would be available to VW if they asked for it.
It raises the question, why develop SFD if they are just going to allow 3rd party products access anyway?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Exactly. Why ‘allow’ it if you say it’s not allowed…
DW12345

Post by DW12345 »

I've enabled this with OBD11 and did a long drive across France. My conclusion is its pointless..

Once enabled you literally have 5 seconds before its telling you to take control of the wheel. On my old Tiguan you just had to give the wheel the slightest touch and it reset the time and continued working.. could even use the bottle of water trick on the steering wheel to make it think you were still holding it. however on the ID3 you have to physically move the wheel to make it recognise you have the control.. if you don't it beeps and bugs and red lights flash which is really annoying for passengers.. I gave up in the end and just used normal ACC.

until someone can code out the time limit. its pointless.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

mediaguy wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:15 pm
Betty W wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:58 pm Had a run on the motorway today, travel assist works perfectly, resting just one hand on the wheel kept the dreaded warning at bay, other half took a pic of the expanded display.
Sounds like the cupra has a capacitive steering wheel as standard then, congratulations.
It's pot luck it seems. Betty's seems to have one, our 2 x Born V2 E-boosts don't have one.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
scarecrow101

Post by scarecrow101 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:56 am
mediaguy wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:15 pm
It's pot luck it seems. Betty's seems to have one, our 2 x Born V2 E-boosts don't have one.
You can actually see if your wheel is capacitive in ODB if you go to steering column then long coding there is the field "Capacitive steering wheel" or something like that, if its installed itll say INSTALLED. Just got a new Family pro performance 22.5 with version 3 software and it doesnt have it as standard
Family Pro Performance MY 22.5 | Software 3.0
daveangel

Post by daveangel »

The NEW 3.0 I.D Software coding is different for the travel assist, have anybody an idea which is the new code for activate the travel assist in the new software version?
Original code with ACC and traffic sign recognition: 00 08 30 2A 15 45 08 E0 07 24
Raymysterio

Post by Raymysterio »

MotMot wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:12 pm Look what I managed to get working this evening!

4BEBD17A-4ACD-45A4-A89F-228F478E9BF1.jpeg

This is on my lowly life pro - and it works just fine!

I’ve heard rumours this might be possible over the last year - but there’s been lots of stuff about it not working because sensors being missing etc… apparently not! The only caveat is that unless you have a steering wheel with capacitive touch you have to gently move the steering wheel (even a tiny nudge) every 15 secs otherwise the car beeps at you to hold the wheel. The capacitive touch wheel means you can just rest your hand or a finger on the wheel. These were fitted only on those with TA fitted.

Anyway. How do you do it?
1. buy/borrow an OBD11 (eleven) dongle with the pro licence (£110 on Amazon) sign up, download the app, plug in and connect.
2. Go to the control module A5 and select the long coding option and then follow these instructions:
B1CBA6E3-1143-49C3-B26B-10B8A9AFF485.jpeg

And. That. Is. It. 👍

These instructions were from an Italian id3 forum - but based on those thebOBD11 forum (which was not at all clear!). https://www.forumelettrico.it/forum/obd ... 21683.html

If you want a capacitive touch steering wheel - they are €700 😱 or the same as some fitted to Passat 8’s (on eBay for £170 or so) but you also have to disassemble/ reassemble from one to the other a bit.
This is awesome cheers. I changed the E4 to F4 as instructed on another forum and it keeps the memory function for lane assist to last setting.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Cool - was a while ago :) Since then I now have a Tour that has TA built in (the capacative wheel) and aside from having to wake the wheel with a wobble every ten secs - it works exactly as it does on the Tour.
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

MotMot wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:12 pm Cool - was a while ago :) Since then I now have a Tour that has TA built in (the capacative wheel) and aside from having to wake the wheel with a wobble every ten secs - it works exactly as it does on the Tour.
And of course with 3.0 the TA button now turns TA on and off indpendantly on the Tour/Max.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Newfie wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:34 pm
MotMot wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:12 pm Cool - was a while ago :) Since then I now have a Tour that has TA built in (the capacative wheel) and aside from having to wake the wheel with a wobble every ten secs - it works exactly as it does on the Tour.
And of course with 3.0 the TA button now turns TA on and off indpendantly on the Tour/Max.
If only I had 3.0 (let alone 2.4!)… 😁
Firebird1980

Post by Firebird1980 »

Does anyone know if a golf 8 steering wheel is capacative to work with travel assist? I note they have a module inside them that reside at the 4 o’clock position rather than the 6 o’clock position that the Passat B8 wheels do (and a different looking module). I have attached pics of the golf wheel. I have an ID.4 with the non touch wheel and need to jolt every 15 seconds to keep it happy, which means it is pretty much useless!

1D9F9575-4FE6-4D7B-928F-98F1BAFB669D.jpeg

CA6BB663-96F6-4BFD-958D-3FABAF195DD9.jpeg

913D7325-527E-430D-BABD-BF23ED1AAD15.jpeg

gabe

Post by gabe »

Hi,
Since the upgrade to 3.2, the ODBII access key doesn't work anymore. Did it change? If so, how does one get the new one?
I'm using Car Scanner Pro with ODBLink MX+

Edit: forget the nonsense I wrote. As of 3.2 the hood needs to be popped - just released - and all works as advertised.

___
ID.3 1st 2020
Last edited by gabe on Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.