Enabling Travel Assist with OBD11

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 5:38 pm
rikimaru wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:32 pm That’s very cool! What else can you add to the car with OBD11?
The most useful thing is to turn the very intrusive lane assist off or get the car to remember you turned it off for every ignition cycle. Some messing with the ambient lighting, I set mine to fade in and out when going on or turning off rather than a hard on/off. Lots of things listed that the UK market models already get activated.
Nice!

Any chance we can change the voice control wake word or assign seat position to a key?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

rikimaru wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:50 pm
Any chance we can change the voice control wake word or assign seat position to a key?
Nope, you can't do that.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Other useful things that can be coded are windows automatically up when the car is locked.

The ‘online’ screen when you power up can be set to appear for 1 sec then go.

Lots of different things with the lights… I quite like high brake light on when boot is open (gives a little more light to the boot area).

It appears the bi zone climate requires a VW software update to activate - and any sort of power output/changes are locked in a module so unavailable.
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Fantastic work, thanks for sharing 👍
Wondering if this will work on my Cupra Born 🤞
Cupra Born V2 in Vapar Grey 58kw
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Worth a try - you can always change it back if it doesn’t.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Betty W wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:03 pm Fantastic work, thanks for sharing 👍
If the hardware abd controllers are there, it almost will. I've previously applied Golf VCDS tweaker to Audi A1, A4 and Polo GTI that shared modules and hardware.

daern

Post by daern »

There's literally two of us here! ;-)

Do you have one already, or waiting for delivery? I was trying to work out whether the UK cars will get ACC + LA, or "full" Travel Assist, but it's a little hard to work out. At a guess, it'll be the former and TA isn't even available as an option on UK-spec cars - certainly, I can't find it on the options list.

This thread is fascinating, but I'm afraid that, without the capacitive steering wheel, it feels more "interesting" than something I'd try myself.
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

daern wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:03 pm
This thread is fascinating, but I'm afraid that, without the capacitive steering wheel, it feels more "interesting" than something I'd try myself.
Does anyone know of a way to check definitively whether one has a capacitive steering wheel? I thought mine had because I don't seem to need to move the wheel at all when using lane assist (which I do in my Octavia) but it's only a Family. I've seen some stuff suggest quite a lot of cars have capacitive wheels and others say only those specced with travel assist from the factory. So :?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

There's literally two of us here! ;-)

Do you have one already, or waiting for delivery? I was trying to work out whether the UK cars will get ACC + LA, or "full" Travel Assist, but it's a little hard to work out. At a guess, it'll be the former and TA isn't even available as an option on UK-spec cars - certainly, I can't find it on the options list.

Yes only had it a few days but it has lane assist that keeps you from straying over the lines but not full travel assist.
So very tempting to activate this but I don’t think it’s on any Cupra born
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

sidehaas wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:12 pm
Does anyone know of a way to check definitively whether one has a capacitive steering wheel? I thought mine had because I don't seem to need to move the wheel at all when using lane assist (which I do in my Octavia) but it's only a Family. I've seen some stuff suggest quite a lot of cars have capacitive wheels and others say only those specced with travel assist from the factory. So :?
It’s in a sticker if you take off the steering wheel….

From the other forums no one has found they’ve accidentally got a capacitive steering wheel…
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

If you look at my Cupra steering wheel you can see the travel assist icon

34C42659-B331-4F6D-8AF5-D19814EBC6F2.jpeg

daern

Post by daern »

Betty W wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:12 pm Yes only had it a few days but it has lane assist that keeps you from straying over the lines but not full travel assist.
So very tempting to activate this but I don’t think it’s on any Cupra born
Thank you, very useful. If you do enable it, I'll be interested to know how you get on. Do you mind me asking - are you in the UK?
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Yes it’s a Uk car

4DC67ACF-3183-4C6B-AE82-2FDE67BBFAE8.jpeg

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:45 pm
If the hardware abd controllers are there, it almost will. I've previously applied Golf VCDS tweaker to Audi A1, A4 and Polo GTI that shared modules and hardware.
You actually have a Born? Have you owned/driven the ID3? If so, would appreciate your opinions on both.
Betty b

Post by Betty b »

Sorry , the born is my first electric car but it’s far better than I ever expected.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Betty W wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:44 pm Sorry , the born is my first electric car but it’s far better than I ever expected.
I’m a bit jealous. We have an ID3, which is a great car, but I wish I had waited for the Born.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:49 pm
Betty W wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:44 pm Sorry , the born is my first electric car but it’s far better than I ever expected.
I’m a bit jealous. We have an ID3, which is a great car, but I wish I had waited for the Born.
Put an order in, you might wait a year,but if you have to wait that long for it, the used car bubble won't yet have burst and you'll get most of your ID3 money back.

I'm tempted, but only if I get the bucket seats (and they're comfy) and the boost version (although as a % of the standard 204ps, its not a huge hike).

Bucket seats look to be V3 only - can anyone confirm?

Was concerned about Cupra residuals, wouldn't want to pay VW money for a car that depreciates like a Ford (as per usual Seats), but looking at the GFVs for both, they both sit around 50 - 51% of RRP at 3 years/36k miles. As someone who buys outright, residuals are important to me, but even when PCPing, you see the difference in higher monthlies.

Now I am tempted.

daern

Post by daern »

Betty W wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:28 pm Yes it’s a Uk car
Excellent! You win the award for first customer car I've heard tell of - really glad you like it and bodes well for the rest of us. I won't derail this (mostly unrelated) thread any more, but if you cared to share your thoughts on it in the off-topic Born thread, I am sure you'll have an eager and interested audience!

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2027
davmatjo

Post by davmatjo »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:58 pm Bucket seats look to be V3 only - can anyone confirm?
Bucket seats are in all trims, just the material is different (nicer) for V3.

I'm also very keen to learn if this module works for enabling travel assist on the Born.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

davmatjo wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:00 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:58 pm Bucket seats look to be V3 only - can anyone confirm?
Bucket seats are in all trims, just the material is different (nicer) for V3.

I'm also very keen to learn if this module works for enabling travel assist on the Born.
99.9% sure it will - under the skin, the Born and ID3 are the same car, with the same electronic architecture. Whether you find TA useful is another matter (especially if the Born doesn't come with a capacitative steering wheel like the ID3s generally don't have either).

I'm not especially keen on most the assistance functions, they seem to be in place to enable idiots to get away with playing on their phones while driving, without crashing and don't work as well as you'd like:

Lane assist tries to keep you in the middle of a lane all the time, but conveniently ignores or doesn't see the thing you're going wide to avoid e.g a parked car, or cone narrowing a lane during roadworks, nudging you back towards it.

ACC ties in with the front camera and satnav databases and tries to adjust your speed down/up accordingly. Great, except when you're on a 70mph dual carriageway and it picks up on a 40mph sign up a sliproad you didn't take, or you're on a flyover, over a roundabout and it's trying to slow you down for the roundabout 50 feet below you.

I rarely use the assistance systems for reasons like these.