Public Pod Point chargers

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 2515

Post by Deleted User 2515 »

Forgive me for another lame question..............please!

Are public Pod Point chargers generally tethered or do I need to use my own cable.

So far I am a public charger virgin so please forgive me.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The free ones at the likes of Tescos are generally untethered, so you need to bring your own type 2 cable to plug in - and make sure the car is set to not unlock it or someone might pinch it to sell for copper scrap.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 2515

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:14 pm The free ones at the likes of Tescos are generally untethered, so you need to bring your own type 2 cable to plug in - and make sure the car is set to not unlock it or someone might pinch it to sell for copper scrap.
Thanks.

As a novice I intend to pop to my local Tesco later (about a mile away) and use the charger so I can gain a better understanding of the process.

Thankfully, the VW salesperson did forewarn me about making sure the car was locked.

Cheers

G
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

grudgey wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:17 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:14 pm The free ones at the likes of Tescos are generally untethered, so you need to bring your own type 2 cable to plug in - and make sure the car is set to not unlock it or someone might pinch it to sell for copper scrap.
Thanks.

As a novice I intend to pop to my local Tesco later (about a mile away) and use the charger so I can gain a better understanding of the process.

Thankfully, the VW salesperson did forewarn me about making sure the car was locked.

Cheers

G
Also, you need to use the pod point app to claim the charger or it will stop charging after 15 min. That caught me out on my first Tesco charge.

Deliberately spent a while pursuing to make the most of the free charging and was most disappointed and puzzled that it wasn’t charging when I got back!
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Deleted User 2515

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:17 pm
Thanks.

Cheers

G
Also, you need to use the pod point app to claim the charger or it will stop charging after 15 min. That caught me out on my first Tesco charge.

Deliberately spent a while pursuing to make the most of the free charging and was most disappointed and puzzled that it wasn’t charging when I got back!

Pod Point app for a Tesco charger?

I have a Pod Point account (in credit) is that ok?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Use the pod point app. The charger will have a code like a name and number. Once you plug in you have 15 minutes to confirm charge on the charger you have selected in the app.
That just comes up as a box on the app.
If you don't do that you will only get 1t minutes free.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
ItshardtobuyId3

grudgey wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:45 pm
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:17 pm

Thanks.

Cheers

G

Pod Point app for a Tesco charger?

I have a Pod Point account (in credit) is that ok?
As Daveion says you need the app to claim the charger (confirm the charge) but you don’t need any money on there as it’s free but it stops after 15 mins if you don’t use the app to tell it you are charging on the particular charger you are plugged into. You can zoom in on the pod point app to find the charger and it will have a name and socket… like Alec-Mike door B or something to the effect.

7FD8E4B0-F028-4B0D-88D6-283AA8075DE5.png

ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Braddad9

Post by Braddad9 »

Lmao, thanks for this. I have charged at Tesco twice now and didn’t know this haha!
ID3 Max Pro Performance - Scale Silver
Order: 3140****
Original ETA - Late April/Early May
Delivery scheduled - 18 May 2022
ItshardtobuyId3

Braddad9 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:13 pm Lmao, thanks for this. I have charged at Tesco twice now and didn’t know this haha!
Hehe, it’s not made obvious. I can’t remember how I found out what I was doing wrong. I do remember seeing people messing with their phones after they plugged the cable in!
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

I was happy to find out from a tesla owner that every Tesco had free chargers.
Unfortunately for me our nearest ones are 9 and 11 miles away, and the closer of the two only has 7kWh, while the one slightly further away has 2x 22kWh (2 hour limit).
Figuring out how to use them was a simple enough process, far easier than I had imagined, the hard part is keeping track of how long you had been in the car park for lol.

As a result though our shopping habits will alter a tiny bit, so as to make use of the free charging, to help cut down further on energy bills here at home.

Just wondering can anyone here tell me, a 50kWh charger, how quick it can charge your car from lets say 5% to 80% ? Also am I correct in thinking that the quickest rate the ID.3 can take is 125 kWh or is it 100kWh ?
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

TheMack wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:38 am
Just wondering can anyone here tell me, a 50kWh charger, how quick it can charge your car from lets say 5% to 80% ? Also am I correct in thinking that the quickest rate the ID.3 can take is 125 kWh or is it 100kWh ?
Assuming it delivers a steady 50kW.
5% to 80% is 75% of the useable 58kW.
In your case.
That is 43.5kW. So charging at 50kW will take.
43.5/50=0.87 hours or 0.87x60=circa 52 minutes.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

TheMack wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:38 am Just wondering can anyone here tell me, a 50kWh charger, how quick it can charge your car from lets say 5% to 80% ? Also am I correct in thinking that the quickest rate the ID.3 can take is 125 kWh or is it 100kWh ?
On the first bit, what Dave said. On the second, 58kwh cars built since last summer/autumn will do more than 100kw. Prior to that are limited to 100kw. The best I've had is 125kw peak, it took 26 minutes to go from 9% to 69% SoC. So an average over that range of 80kw. (It was a Kempower charger, which puts a live charge curve on your screen if you scan a QR code so I still have the data). I've seen others report up to 134kw plugging in at very low SoC. To be honest if you are limited to 100kw it is only going to take 2 or 3 minutes more and above 30% the charge curves are identical.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Tesco 50kW chargers aren't free though are they? (Maybe I am wrong)
So the quickest charge you can get from those is 11kW if your driving there eepecially and doing a standard shop you'll hardly recoup your driving mileage.
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

G43FAN wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:50 am Tesco 50kW chargers aren't free though are they? (Maybe I am wrong)
So the quickest charge you can get from those is 11kW if your driving there eepecially and doing a standard shop you'll hardly recoup your driving mileage.
No they are not. the 50kWh chargers are paid for. But the 22kWh chargers at Tesco's are free, and you are correct when we went on Tuesday we were drawing some 11kWh from the charger.
However in the 2 hour period we managed to get a 30-32% charge, which does more than outweigh the charge expenditure to get there. Or at least it did by my math (could be wrong).

To elaborate the car displayed 53% when we started, and 82% ish when we finished (forgot to reduce max charge back to 80 after a previous long journey).
Looking at the stats on the pod point app I can se the actual charging period was 1 hour 34 ( got there and waited for a tesla to move as he was finishing and I got back early to avoid a parking fine), and in that 1 hour 34, I received a total of 17kWh.
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
gfoldys

Post by gfoldys »

Daveion wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:05 am

Also allow that the car will slow the charge down progressively as it gets toward 100%
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

gfoldys wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:04 am
Daveion wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:05 am

Also allow that the car will slow the charge down progressively as it gets toward 100%
Not much before 80% though. I think mine usually holds 50kw to almost 70% and then drops slowly to 80%, so Dave's calculation above won't be far out.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

Just been looking on Zap maps, it is unfortunate that we have so few 100kWh chargers or higher , certainly from midlands and up. Hopefully we will see more of these appear in time, to help speed up journey's.

But alas I have taken this topic far enough off its natural trajectory.
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

There are enough now - many more than a year - 9 months ago…

For an id3 seeing 100kw as a charging rate is pretty rare - BUT a 75-80kw charger (like the newer Osprey and InstaVolt ones) makes a noticeable difference over a 50kw one.
Deleted User 2515

On the subject of chargers can anyone advise of the realistic number of Apps required (and type).

I understand not all chargers offer "swipe card" and Apps are needed.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

grudgey wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:23 am On the subject of chargers can anyone advise of the realistic number of Apps required (and type).

I understand not all chargers offer "swipe card" and Apps are needed.
The answer to this depends a lot on your own personal circumstances unfortunately. In Scotland for example you absolutely should get a CPS RFID card; but you really don't need one if you never travel north of the border.

In my case I intend to rub by with an Octopus Juice RFID card, a GeniePoint account that has my credit card linked to it as an RFID card and a CPS RFID card (as we travel in Scotland reasonably often). This covers me for all the major "reliable" networks simply enough without having to reach for an app and rely on mobile phone coverage.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203