Public Pod Point chargers

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I would go further than Utumno - in England, I don't think you actually need any payment apps at all. You can get everywhere with the operators that take contactless payment, and they also happen to be the most reliable networks (excl BP).
I do have RFID cards and/or apps for Ionity (wecharge), Tesla and Octopus Juice, because why not, but I haven't found occasion to use them yet. I anticipate them being more important when I drive abroad. Wecharge and OJ both cover a good number of networks in France that don't take contactless.
You *do* need one or two apps for finding chargers in the first place. Zapmap, wattsup, abrp are all useful but you don't need all of them. I also use Instavolt and Osprey's own apps (they are among the best networks) to check live charger availability. Zapmap is usually 10 minutes out of date (or more).
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

sidehaas wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:26 pm I would go further than Utumno - in England, I don't think you actually need any payment apps at all. You can get everywhere with the operators that take contactless payment, and they also happen to be the most reliable networks (excl BP).
I do have RFID cards and/or apps for Ionity (wecharge), Tesla and Octopus Juice, because why not, but I haven't found occasion to use them yet. I anticipate them being more important when I drive abroad. Wecharge and OJ both cover a good number of networks in France that don't take contactless.
You *do* need one or two apps for finding chargers in the first place. Zapmap, wattsup, abrp are all useful but you don't need all of them. I also use Instavolt and Osprey's own apps (they are among the best networks) to check live charger availability. Zapmap is usually 10 minutes out of date (or more).

That's interesting and insightful stuff, many thanks. I personally dislike the apparent contactless approach of reserving and then charging, but I completely understand that others find contactless payment painless (fwiw I don't do pay-at-pump either, for the same reason). The RFID approach I'm hoping to take is so that I can use contactless as a backstop, rather than a primary method, entirely due to my own somewhat unusual preferences :D

That said for me I think the Supercharger network will always be "first port of call" until all the Supercharger locations are open to all comers - so I probably won't even need a payment method or app for most of my public charging in England.

We're up to Argyll & Bute for a week in July though in the Tesla; hence the CPS card for us !

PS : I'll take a look at the Instavolt and Osprey apps too, I hadn't considered the "live" availability side.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Utumno wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:22 pm
sidehaas wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:26 pm I would go further than Utumno - in England, I don't think you actually need any payment apps at all. You can get everywhere with the operators that take contactless payment, and they also happen to be the most reliable networks (excl BP).

That's interesting and insightful stuff, many thanks. I personally dislike the apparent contactless approach of reserving and then charging, but I completely understand that others find contactless payment painless (fwiw I don't do pay-at-pump either, for the same reason). The RFID approach I'm hoping to take is so that I can use contactless as a backstop, rather than a primary method, entirely due to my own somewhat unusual preferences :D

That said for me I think the Supercharger network will always be "first port of call" until all the Supercharger locations are open to all comers - so I probably won't even need a payment method or app for most of my public charging in England.

We're up to Argyll & Bute for a week in July though in the Tesla; hence the CPS card for us !

PS : I'll take a look at the Instavolt and Osprey apps too, I hadn't considered the "live" availability side.
Yer, if I had a Tesla I would definitely use the superchargers :)
The Osprey and Instavolt apps can both be used for payment as well live data. It's not quite as slick as paying contactless (theoretically similar approach to Tesla chargers with a non Tesla). But it does away with your concerns about contactless payments and I think you can probably get receipts through them too.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Deleted User 2515

Post by Deleted User 2515 »

Please. What is RFID?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

grudgey wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 6:52 pm Please. What is RFID?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-f ... tification

In this case we are talking cards that just look like a credit or debit card (but no chip) and communicate with the charger by RFID. You are sent them by some charging companies if you sign with them. You give the company your payment details and then if you scan your RFID card at a charger, it knows who you are and you get charged. It provides a useful alternative to mobile apps, particularly if you are in an area with poor phone signal or for someone who isn't comfortable with loads of different apps.
I'm no expert so might be corrected on part of this.
Deleted User 2515

Post by Deleted User 2515 »

Thank you