Honest thoughts on our ID.3

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

I thought id just make a thread to share honest thoughts and a semi review of our ID.3 and to see if im the only one with the same irks or if im alone :D

So we've had our ID.3 for 3 weeks now, and things are still early I know. Bear in mind we havent done any long long journeys up the A/M1 as yet, but have done a fair bit of our usual local journeys.

So far (and one has to consider it is start of summer) we are very pleased with the car. The range we get based on charge is brilliant, the insides are comfortable, despite being a small car, similar to a golf, it feels roomy inside. On the whole comparing it to the others we looked at and considered it was the best choice.

There are a couple of little quirks though, compared to our last VW we swapped in, I miss the sunglasses holder, given that I wear prescription sunglasses they are now left to slide about or get tangled up in things in the central storage area.

Another thing I have noticed is the wiper blades. The passenger (nearside) one is the last to fold in and so usually ends up flicking rain back all over the the drivers field of view. I realise that when it is raining you get this anyway, but it almost makes it feel as if you end up with less visibility all round especially during heavy rainfall. It almost feels as if when adapting the car to the British market they forgot to swap the wipers round (similar to how they forgot to move the fuse box and cut the glove compartment in half).

While the infotainment screen holds good info, I cannot help but feel I am left having to choose between what info I want to see, instead of being able to configure it or adapt it to what suits us the most. As an example when you have the overview screens up, you have half the screen as sat nav, then phone, and radio, and something else I forgot. I personally would prefer to see the sat nav and then the m/kWh next to it, but the kWh panel is on the next screen and so you forfeit sat nav.

Lastly the headrests... I cannot fathom why we do not have adjustable headrests. For me personally I have to have the seat leant back a little because otherwise it is much to uncomfortable and due to the lack of lumbar support plays hell. But then I find that the headrest sits so far back I may as well not have one. I think I need to get a cushion for it to see if it helps.

However despite the niggles, we do still firmly believe we made the right choice, and are happy.

Am I being too picky with the niggles or do others find these too ?
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022

Busman

Post by Busman »

TheMack wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:24 pm I thought id just make a thread to share honest thoughts and a semi review of our ID.3 and to see if im the only one with the same irks or if im alone :D

So we've had our ID.3 for 3 weeks now, and things are still early I know. Bear in mind we havent done any long long journeys up the A/M1 as yet, but have done a fair bit of our usual local journeys.

So far (and one has to consider it is start of summer) we are very pleased with the car. The range we get based on charge is brilliant, the insides are comfortable, despite being a small car, similar to a golf, it feels roomy inside. On the whole comparing it to the others we looked at and considered it was the best choice.

There are a couple of little quirks though, compared to our last VW we swapped in, I miss the sunglasses holder, given that I wear prescription sunglasses they are now left to slide about or get tangled up in things in the central storage area.

Another thing I have noticed is the wiper blades. The passenger (nearside) one is the last to fold in and so usually ends up flicking rain back all over the the drivers field of view. I realise that when it is raining you get this anyway, but it almost makes it feel as if you end up with less visibility all round especially during heavy rainfall. It almost feels as if when adapting the car to the British market they forgot to swap the wipers round (similar to how they forgot to move the fuse box and cut the glove compartment in half).

While the infotainment screen holds good info, I cannot help but feel I am left having to choose between what info I want to see, instead of being able to configure it or adapt it to what suits us the most. As an example when you have the overview screens up, you have half the screen as sat nav, then phone, and radio, and something else I forgot. I personally would prefer to see the sat nav and then the m/kWh next to it, but the kWh panel is on the next screen and so you forfeit sat nav.

Lastly the headrests... I cannot fathom why we do not have adjustable headrests. For me personally I have to have the seat leant back a little because otherwise it is much to uncomfortable and due to the lack of lumbar support plays hell. But then I find that the headrest sits so far back I may as well not have one. I think I need to get a cushion for it to see if it helps.

However despite the niggles, we do still firmly believe we made the right choice, and are happy.

You are being too picky.The Sunglasses? Infotainment ?The headrests?.I have no issues with these.Put your Sunglasses in the centre storage.The headrests are easily adjusted .As for the infotainment system,the configuration is just right,at the end of the day you should be looking at the road not playing with the infotainment system while driving.
ID.3 Comfort.
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Had mine a few months and although I love it there are some standout gripes I have with it…

1) The wipers are bloody awful! I’m convinced they used that layout because they thought it would save a bit of money. They are utterly crap and by far the worst thing about the car. I’d never buy another car with this layout again unless they find a way to not make them awful.

2) Lane assist is WAY too intrusive and has actively decided it better to run over a cyclist on one occasion because it was so determined to stay in lane. I have to turn it off every time I get in the car to stop it yanking me all over the place.

3) The infotainment takes far too long to start-up. It isn’t laggy once it has finished loading up but it is terrible whist it is. Especially since one of the first things I want to do is turn off lane assistance… AGAIN!!!!

(I little note about this, I’d bet the reason for lane assistance being always on is that you have to spend so my time messing about with a touch screen. It would actually be easier using your phone to interact with the car so it’s incredible that nothing is being done about car manufacturers move all the functions to a touch screen!)

4) The digital assistant is useless, especially when trying to use it for navigation.

5) no rear speakers

6) Apple CarPlay icons are far too small and thus difficult to operate.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Busman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:38 pm
TheMack wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:24 pm I thought id just make a thread to share honest thoughts and a semi review of our ID.3 and to see if im the only one with the same irks or if im alone :D

You are being too picky.The Sunglasses? Infotainment ?The headrests?.I have no issues with these.Put your Sunglasses in the centre storage.The headrests are easily adjusted .As for the infotainment system,the configuration is just right,at the end of the day you should be looking at the road not playing with the infotainment system while driving.
ID.3 Comfort.
That may work for you but I actually agree with the OP. The sunglasses holder should be standard, or at least there should be a better solution than throwing it in the centre armrest or in the net (gooooaaal). Ask any UX designer about the infotainment and they'll tell you it's poorly designed. The headrest is rubbish for a VW car and especially at this price. It should be adjustable or at least have a dip for where the head should rest (not supposed to bounce off now is it?).

We should expect and demand better from VW.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

TheMack wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:24 pm
The infotainment home pages are customisable. I can't remember exactly what you have to press without going out to the car but have a play around. I think it's a reasonably intuitive combination of press/holding on things like you would on a tablet, and pressing edit buttons that look like a pencil.
The customisation isn't unlimited by any means and in fact I couldn't get quite what I wanted, but I have ended up with exactly what you say you want - satnav with the driving data next to it - on my primary home screen.
Driving data is coming to the driver's screen with 3.1 eventually.

Can't you put sunglasses in the little net thing? Can't say I've noticed a problem with the headrests and I share the car with my wife, who is 6 inches shorter. Quite a few people dislike the wipers.
If we're doing niggles, I'll add in the pathetic glovebox and the position of the lights panel (both because of cost cutting when making RHD cars). And the wecharge app is laggy as anything. But the car is great.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 pm Had mine a few months and although I love it there are some standout gripes I have with it…

1) The wipers are bloody awful! I’m convinced they used that layout because they thought it would save a bit of money. They are utterly crap and by far the worst thing about the car. I’d never buy another car with this layout again unless they find a way to not make them awful.

2) Lane assist is WAY too intrusive and has actively decided it better to run over a cyclist on one occasion because it was so determined to stay in lane. I have to turn it off every time I get in the car to stop it yanking me all over the place.

3) The infotainment takes far too long to start-up. It isn’t laggy once it has finished loading up but it is terrible whist it is. Especially since one of the first things I want to do is turn off lane assistance… AGAIN!!!!
I think honest feedback does the world of good, but from reading this forum you may find that some rainx and an ODB11 dongle fix your three biggest gripes as the dongle can set travel assist to "remember last selection".
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

Busman wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:38 pm You are being too picky.The Sunglasses? Infotainment ?The headrests?.I have no issues with these.Put your Sunglasses in the centre storage.The headrests are easily adjusted .As for the infotainment system,the configuration is just right,at the end of the day you should be looking at the road not playing with the infotainment system while driving.
ID.3 Comfort.
I think you may have totally misunderstood, or simply scanned over what I had written and so missing my points.

The central storage means my prescription sunglasses are sliding about and getting tangled in the cable from the ipod nano, or the loose change, or what ever else I may have in there at the time. I personally don't want to have to be messing on while driving to get my sunglasses out, I don't know about you, neither do I want my lenses scratched.

The headrests are only height adjustable. Again, in my posts I did say I lean the backrest back, meaning there is a good 4 maybe 5 inch gap between my head and the headrest. I don't know about your car, but the one we got does not allow the headrests to be adjusted back and forth, tilt etc. Only height and that's it.

As for the infotainment system, again I would prefer to have a setup and config for me, so I don't have to touch it or play with it while driving, but the current one actually requires me to do just that if I want to see certain info. Perhaps that wasn't as clear as it could have been when I was asking for a way in which to configure the screen to how I would like it for info at a quick glance.

But hey, it is ok to disagree :) . We all have different opinions right.
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

mediaguy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:31 pm I think honest feedback does the world of good, but from reading this forum you may find that some rainx and an ODB11 dongle fix your three biggest gripes as the dongle can set travel assist to "remember last selection".
What are these dongles of which you speak ?
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TheMack wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:42 pm
mediaguy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:31 pm I think honest feedback does the world of good, but from reading this forum you may find that some rainx and an ODB11 dongle fix your three biggest gripes as the dongle can set travel assist to "remember last selection".
What are these dongles of which you speak ?
OBD11 - lots of things can be adjusted with it. The lane assist is god-awful, so makes sense to get it to remember selection e.g. if you switch it off on last use, it stays switched off unless you consciously turn it on again (and why would you?)
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

mediaguy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:31 pm
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:53 pm Had mine a few months and although I love it there are some standout gripes I have with it…

I think honest feedback does the world of good, but from reading this forum you may find that some rainx and an ODB11 dongle fix your three biggest gripes as the dongle can set travel assist to "remember last selection".
I’ll be amazed it Rainx helps but will give it a go. Am probably going to end up getting ODB11.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

I think you have a well stated set of valid points there and I agree with almost all of them.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Just read this thread . Some picky points.
Headrest are actually head restraints in the event of being rear ended reducing whiplash. A gap between the pad and the head of 50cm or so is normal given the variation in body sizes and shapes.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:06 am OBD11 - lots of things can be adjusted with it. The lane assist is god-awful, so makes sense to get it to remember selection e.g. if you switch it off on last use, it stays switched off unless you consciously turn it on again (and why would you?)
Does this not void warranty ?
Daveion wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:59 am Just read this thread . Some picky points.
Headrest are actually head restraints in the event of being rear ended reducing whiplash. A gap between the pad and the head of 50cm or so is normal given the variation in body sizes and shapes.
Again, fair enough, we all have opinions. I guess the headrest / restraints on my part is being compared to my previous VW which had the ability to slide forward. Which when we got it was sold to us as to reduce whiplash so you head doesnt end up tilting back as a hit from the rear made the head restraint slide forward.

I do question your comment though about a gap of 50cm between head and head rest / restraint being normal.... at half a meter it wont stop any kind of whiplash and never touch your head, or are you referring to something else ?
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

TheMack wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:09 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:06 am OBD11 - lots of things can be adjusted with it. The lane assist is god-awful, so makes sense to get it to remember selection e.g. if you switch it off on last use, it stays switched off unless you consciously turn it on again (and why would you?)
Daveion wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:59 am Just read this thread . Some picky points.
Again, fair enough, we all have opinions. I guess the headrest / restraints on my part is being compared to my previous VW which had the ability to slide forward. Which when we got it was sold to us as to reduce whiplash so you head doesnt end up tilting back as a hit from the rear made the head restraint slide forward.

I do question your comment though about a gap of 50cm between head and head rest / restraint being normal.... at half a meter it wont stop any kind of whiplash and never touch your head, or are you referring to something else ?
Anything that's reversible and doesn't cause premature wear or affect the operation of related hardware will not void warranty. You have the ability to turn lane assist off at the start of every journey. The "fix" just makes the car remember your last choice of whether to have it on or off, so you don't have to turn it off every journey.

For the head restraint comment, I think that's a typo - 5cm is more like it (or 50mm), that's more in the range that active head restraints operate when an equipped car crashes.

TheMack

Post by TheMack »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:47 pm

Anything that's reversible and doesn't cause premature wear or affect the operation of related hardware will not void warranty. You have the ability to turn lane assist off at the start of every journey. The "fix" just makes the car remember your last choice of whether to have it on or off, so you don't have to turn it off every journey.

For the head restraint comment, I think that's a typo - 5cm is more like it (or 50mm), that's more in the range that active head restraints operate when an equipped car crashes.
Ahhh, yeah 5cm or 50mm wouldnt be as bad. But I kid not when I say I have about 13-14cm (or 130-140mm) between my head and the restraint/rest. I can see it picky where the seating position allows for a small gap between rest and head for one, vs my case.
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 1:47 pm

Yep My banana fingers. Min 50mm.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

The wipers smear a little due to the wrong alignment but are absolutely fine when they are really needed.
After 18 months the biggest issues for us are the brake performance and the pedal alignment on our 1st Edition. My wife got her foot trapped between the pedals and put it into a wall at 10 mph. Hasn’t driven it since which is kinda a big problem!!
It generally is a lovely car to drive.
I have joined the priority list for a Megane EV to have a 1st look but I have my doubts around the cabin space and airiness. 4 discs might help the braking though (?)
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

OB1CCFC wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:19 am The wipers smear a little due to the wrong alignment but are absolutely fine when they are really needed.
After 18 months the biggest issues for us are the brake performance and the pedal alignment on our 1st Edition. My wife got her foot trapped between the pedals and put it into a wall at 10 mph. Hasn’t driven it since which is kinda a big problem!!
I have joined the priority list for a Megane EV to have a 1st look but I have my doubts around the cabin space and airiness. 4 discs might help the braking though (?)
Nothing wrong with the ID3's braking ability, but the first 1/3 of pedal travel being dedicated to the regen zone before actual braking does feel odd to the uninitiated. Were the brake pedal pads loose on your car? If not,I think blaming pedal placement is really inaccurate. Haven't heard of anyone else putting their foot between the pedals and colliding with anything - I'd chalk that up to operator error.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sun May 29, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikek18mdh

Post by Mikek18mdh »

Does your car have rear camera? I have just bought the same car 71 plate and forgot to ask?
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:23 am
OB1CCFC wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:19 am The wipers smear a little due to the wrong alignment but are absolutely fine when they are really needed.
Nothing wrong with the ID3's braking ability, but the first 1/3 of pedal travel being dedicated to the regen zone before actual braking does feel odd to the uninitiated. Were the brake pedal pads loose on your car? If not,I think blaming pedal placement is really inaccurate. Haven't heard of anyone else putting their foot between the pedals and obliging with anything - I'd chalk that up to operator error.
I have heard of other drivers having the pedal positioning problem- I had a thread on Speakev about this. Most people adapt after an issue or so but put it in a wall and you maybe somewhat scarred!
And I do think the brakes arent great, after 18 months of ownership and driving many cars over 45 years of driving. Quite a few agree with that on threads also. I guess due to the weight of the car, the blending of traction and friction braking and possibly the adoption of drums on the rear.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.