Honest thoughts on our ID.3

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I think the brakes are fine. Not sports car great - but as most of it is some sort of regen / brakes software blend they’re ok.

I don’t think the drums at the rear are the issue - discs don’t actually help the car stop any better They are just loads better at repeated hard braking as they’re much better at handling heat.

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

And my experience of rear disc brakes is that they are great when driving, but holding the car on a steep hill with just the handbrake, was not always a good idea. I used to leave mine in 1st gear as well. Remember gears?
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

I've had mine 2 weeks and it's easily the best car I've had. I love B mode, I haven't tried D. Brakes adding more regen taking acclimatisation but work fine.
I use Rain-x on all my cars, need to keep it reapplied frequently but it's helpful especially on the side windows.
I'm quite happy with lane assist and it helps encourage correct indicator use on dual carriageways and motorways.
I like manual controls for

Things that I would change.
1. No rear speakers - really VW, what were you thinking.
2. Can't get rid of Burger King & McDonalds showing on the Sat Nav.
3. Public charging network is a complete mess - I'm hoping Bonnet App will solve the many app & payment issues.
4. Online manual to understand the operation of all the bits of the car
5. Some off the voice controls are not easy to understand. Why can't I turn the heated steering wheel off by voice?

Considering I ended up with the 145ps model, performance is fine. I really am impressed and can't understand why anyone would spend £10k more for a Tesla.
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

smyth1492 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:39 pm 3. Public charging network is a complete mess - I'm hoping Bonnet App will solve the many app & payment issues.
I know I bang this drum a lot...but... just use the better providers that take contactless....then there are no app or payment issues. The public charging network is fine if you know which networks to use and which to avoid - just needs to keep growing.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

sidehaas wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:37 pm
I know I bang this drum a lot...but... just use the better providers that take contactless....then there are no app or payment issues. The public charging network is fine if you know which networks to use and which to avoid - just needs to keep growing.
do you use the RFID card you can order through the WeConnect app?
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

smyth1492 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:20 pm
sidehaas wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:37 pm
do you use the RFID card you can order through the WeConnect app?
I haven't yet. I just use Instavolt, Osprey, Gridserve and MFG, who all take normal contactless debit/credit cards. Wecharge only makes sense cost-wise for me to use at Ionity, and there aren't any Ionity sites on my more regular routes. I'm going to find an excuse to stop at Blackburn at some point to test it out, as I think I might want it on a trip to France in autumn.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

OB1CCFC wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:55 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:23 am
OB1CCFC wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 8:19 am The wipers smear a little due to the wrong alignment but are absolutely fine when they are really needed.
After 18 months the biggest issues for us are the brake performance and the pedal alignment on our 1st Edition. My wife got her foot trapped between the pedals and put it into a wall at 10 mph. Hasn’t driven it since which is kinda a big problem!!
It generally is a lovely car to drive.
I have joined the priority list for a Megane EV to have a 1st look but I have my doubts around the cabin space and airiness. 4 discs might help the braking though (?)
Nothing wrong with the ID3's braking ability, but the first 1/3 of pedal travel being dedicated to the regen zone before actual braking does feel odd to the uninitiated. Were the brake pedal pads loose on your car? If not,I think blaming pedal placement is really inaccurate. Haven't heard of anyone else putting their foot between the pedals and obliging with anything - I'd chalk that up to operator error.
I have heard of other drivers having the pedal positioning problem- I had a thread on Speakev about this. Most people adapt after an issue or so but put it in a wall and you maybe somewhat scarred!
And I do think the brakes arent great, after 18 months of ownership and driving many cars over 45 years of driving. Quite a few agree with that on threads also. I guess due to the weight of the car, the blending of traction and friction braking and possibly the adoption of drums on the rear.
I was aware of 1 person onspeakev having issues with the pedals and crashed her car. The circumstances are so exacting to the ones you describe (foot went between the pedals, crashed into a wall at 10 miles per hour) that I assumed the incidents were one and the same and the lass was your wife. Pedal sizes and positioning are in line with VAGs that have auto/DSG for as far back as I can remember, nothing extraordinary about them. If they were any closer together you'd risk hitting both pedals at once.

I do think you're getting hung up on rear discs too. Rear brakes are used for stability,the front discs s do all the work. Rear discs are there for show on cars that have them - just as having front fogs are for show from when any properly sporty cars had them, then every car trying to look sporty had them. If you have to jump on the brakes, you'll find the ID3's as effective as any Golf that isn't a GTI or R.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

smyth1492 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 4:39 pm 1. No rear speakers - really VW, what were you thinking.
Ok, I had to check this out in ours Friday, and yeah, it does seem very odd that there are no speakers in the rear.... It does seem very weird that those were left out. Fitting them afterwards too is not an easy thing id imagine.
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022