How I came to own my ID.3

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 2515

Post by Deleted User 2515 »

I read with dismay the delivery time woes many are suffering.

I do not intend to rub salt in the wounds but I thought my buying process might be of interest .

I have owned VW's most of my life (several Golfs GTi, R, TSi etc, EOS, T Roc R ). My wife still uses her VW Up! Gti every day.

I loved my T Roc and I can genuinely say it was the most practical car that I have owned.

However, I am getting old and nearly at retirement age so I thought I should try to make economies and perhaps hug a few trees along the way.

I made enquiries about a new ID.3 and the salesman was most honest and informed me of the potential delivery estimate and told me to add on 6 to 9 months to the estimate!

I decide to walk away but left my details and noted interest. My T Roc had been valued at this point (£3k more than I paid for it 2 years earlier).

On 30th March 2022 (the time of month is significant) the salesman called me and said he had just taken back an ID.3 from an elderly gentleman who couldn't get on with it.

If I could get down to the dealership and wished to buy it I could have it for the money they passed back to the previous owner if I could complete by the month end.

The car had covered 800 miles.

It was faultless and to me as new. The car had literally been driven in and not washed or prepared and I couldn't tell it from a new car.

I took the obligatory test drive and fell in love with the driving experience. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the car saving me a whopping £5k on the new price. Some of which was promptly used to have a pod point charger installed.

The car was meticulously valeted and a granny cable added at no cost.

Now it isn't all wine and roses........there are things I don't like., such as the small glovebox, silly position of light switches, less than ideal quality plastics, lack of cable storage, no spare wheel to name a few. But the drive is superb. I can forgive the faults because the car lives up to expectations in all other areas (so far).

I would have liked a better spec, bigger battery version but as this is my fist EV I reasoned that I could use the car as a test and if I feel as I do now in say a years time I could trade up.

So my lowly spec ID.3 might not appeal to everyone but it has broken my EV virginity and I have short-circuited the lengthy wait times.

I hope that in a year or so time the wait times will reduce, some of the niggles might have been ironed out and I can trade up.

For now I am happy.

Grant

p.s I really am not trying to upset anyone with an order and having to wait.

StuartT

Post by StuartT »

grudgey wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:03 am I read with dismay the delivery time woes many are suffering.

I do not intend to rub salt in the wounds but I thought my buying process might be of interest .

I have owned VW's most of my life (several Golfs GTi, R, TSi etc, EOS, T Roc R ). My wife still uses her VW Up! Gti every day.

I loved my T Roc and I can genuinely say it was the most practical car that I have owned.

However, I am getting old and nearly at retirement age so I thought I should try to make economies and perhaps hug a few trees along the way.

I made enquiries about a new ID.3 and the salesman was most honest and informed me of the potential delivery estimate and told me to add on 6 to 9 months to the estimate!

I decide to walk away but left my details and noted interest. My T Roc had been valued at this point (£3k more than I paid for it 2 years earlier).

On 30th March 2022 (the time of month is significant) the salesman called me and said he had just taken back an ID.3 from an elderly gentleman who couldn't get on with it.

If I could get down to the dealership and wished to buy it I could have it for the money they passed back to the previous owner if I could complete by the month end.

The car had covered 800 miles.

It was faultless and to me as new. The car had literally been driven in and not washed or prepared and I couldn't tell it from a new car.

I took the obligatory test drive and fell in love with the driving experience. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the car saving me a whopping £5k on the new price. Some of which was promptly used to have a pod point charger installed.

The car was meticulously valeted and a granny cable added at no cost.

Now it isn't all wine and roses........there are things I don't like., such as the small glovebox, silly position of light switches, less than ideal quality plastics, lack of cable storage, no spare wheel to name a few. But the drive is superb. I can forgive the faults because the car lives up to expectations in all other areas (so far).

I would have liked a better spec, bigger battery version but as this is my fist EV I reasoned that I could use the car as a test and if I feel as I do now in say a years time I could trade up.

So my lowly spec ID.3 might not appeal to everyone but it has broken my EV virginity and I have short-circuited the lengthy wait times.

I hope that in a year or so time the wait times will reduce, some of the niggles might have been ironed out and I can trade up.

For now I am happy.

Grant

p.s I really am not trying to upset anyone with an order and having to wait.
Hello Grant, don't beat yourself up just because you got lucky! I know what you mean about waiting times and the patience required to sit and wait though. I ordered last April and took delivery in the August, but it started getting scarey after that; mine's through Motability and they're no longer available with them at all so I count my blessings.
I know what you mean about the small niggles, the mk2 ID.3 should be a better car, but I'm chuffed to bits with it (58kWh Life Pro). My wife and I drove to Bruges a few weeks ago and the car didn't miss a beat. Given a choice I'll never have another ICE car - I've been converted.
For now I am more than happy! 👍
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
Deleted User 2515

Post by Deleted User 2515 »

Nice reply.

I was initially sorry for the elderly gent who lost £,000s but I suppose I should feel lucky.

Perhaps that day the planets were aligned for me.

Its a great car.
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

I was similarly lucky @grudgey, I was on Autotrader at the right time just after 6pm earlier in May and happened to see a brand new Family Pro available. I called the dealer after 6pm expecting them not to be there, however, they answered so I reserved there and then. Picked up 2 weeks later and the ID.3 is excellent.
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats
K-EV

Post by K-EV »

We were lucky too went on Autotrader 1st. Edition with 25 miles on the clock and way under list price. It’s now 15 months of driving a great car, was originally going to get a Family when they came out glad we didn’t probably would still be waiting like a lot of people.
ID.3 1st. Edition Makena Turquoise.