Driving style and ID3 efficiency

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Just watched a very annoying fifth gear review of an Ionic 5 which had all the usual fake drama about running out of juice, will they make it etc.
This one majored on you have to drive carefully and not drive ‘aggressively’ around mainly country roads if you don’t want end up with 2 mi/kWh. Note this was all on roads less than 50mph.
What’s your view on driving style and efficiency?
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

My 2 penneth.
1. If you are driving more aggressively and braking more, even though the regen is good you will still have losses that will cost some efficiency vis-à-vis driving ‘steady’. However, I’ve not seen anything to suggest this is very significant.
2. Higher top speed is mainly influenced by significant increasing drag. But that wasn’t the issue on this YouTube which was around Scottish country roads.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

For me, the biggest hit is short winter journeys and doing 80+ on the motorway.

The regen does do a lot to mitigate an inefficient/non-anticipating driving style. Even with lead boots, that regen will be putting a lot of energy back that would otherwise be wasted.

I've always accelerated pretty hard to get to my desired speed but drive with a great deal of forward thinking to preserve the momentum thereafter. At the moment, with the warmer weather, I'm averaging 4.1 miles per kWh and half of that is doing 70-75mph on dual carriageway where the car will be doing 3.7 miles per kWh, so the rest of it is well into the high 4s.

Don't forget that Ioniq5 is a big lump to lug around, and it's hardly set up for being chucked around the twisties. I wouldn't read much into the shock journalism figures.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

If you drive country roads for fun with consistent hard acceleration, no coasting and no thought for efficiency then consumption does drop a lot, there is only so much that regen can do. I haven't done a lot of driving in that vein since getting the ID.3 but 2-2.5mi/kWh wouldn't surprise me.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

I can’t remember seeing any YouTube’s on this issue. I think the weight and handling of most EVs usually stops you being that aggressive around windy stuff.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Strange thing for me with the ID3 is that I have no desire to drive it aggressively so efficiency is always good. Even on M roads and dual carriageways I tend to drive at 65. Every ICE I have had including my current BMW get driven aggressively generally when I'm on my own..
It's not that the ID3 can't be thrown around a bit it's such a relaxed drive I seem to go into pipe and slipper mode.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

OB1CCFC wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:00 pm I can’t remember seeing any YouTube’s on this issue. I think the weight and handling of most EVs usually stops you being that aggressive around windy stuff.
I'd agree with that. On my Cupra Born test drive, I initially tried to drive it accelerating hard up a minor bending sliproad onto the 70mph A19 to see if it had a sportier set up than the ID3 and had to back off a little bit. A lardy 1800kg lump of a small car just an't be thrown around like a Golf GTI CS, Focus ST or R Type can be on the twisties.

These EVs are quick in a straight line, especially off the line, but handle like a non-performance variant.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Faster you go the less economical it is… however…

On SpeakEV there was a thread (last year?) asking whether or not it was that bad for economy to accelerate hard. Not to go fast but whether accelerating hard to say 50 was any worse than gently getting there. After several pages of replies - I think (and may well summarise wrong) that the conclusion was that it was worse -but not by much - and certainly not as much as in an ICE car. Reasoning was:

If there’s no wind resistance you’ll need the same amount of energy to get to that speed accelerating fast or slow. It’s the same amount of energy in the push as it were.

If you accelerate fast however you spend more time at the faster speed - so will lose a bit there (wind resistance etc..).

Also the losses in the wiring are slightly greater when more amps are used accelerating hard - but again not much.

This doesn’t cover regen - so obviously there is a loss there and if you go fast slow fast slow fast slow etc.. you lose more than if you were just going at one speed.

So - nipping down a slip road to a motorway getting up to 70 isn’t going to use much more (if any) than dawdling up to 70 - presuming you cruise along at 70 after both etc…
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Some good points here.
The only time I’ve really driven my ID3 very hard was when I had a Golf GTI all over me on some country roads. The weight made it too difficult to comfortably swing it round bends.
But generally I despair at many YouTubers, even the bigger channels. That just can’t help themselves. There just has to be fake drama and sensationalism around EVs. You look at the comments and it’s just stuffed with nonsense and people saying they’d never get an EV. irresponsible clickbait reporting.