Drive through car wash

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

Would you put the wipers in service position before washing the car in a drive through car wash?
I'm wondering if the rolling brushes would a) cause less damage to the wiper blades and/or b) give better clearance of the windscreen.
Charles
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump

phixion

Post by phixion »

I'm also curious.

Been hand washing my car but feel like I might just take it through the car wash near me, it's one of those where the car get jet washed before hand then you drive on to a platform that pulls the car through.

Would I just need to put car in to neutral and turn off auto hold?

I used to do this in my Golf auto but I've also heard EVs can't be towed like normal cars, so could this cause any damage?
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
Busman

Post by Busman »

Turn of completely and activate Parking brake as you would with a normal car.Leave in neutral and it may roll.
Hypercube

Post by Hypercube »

Page 165 of the manual has some instructions for “establishing rolling capability of the vehicle” for use in car washes for example, otherwise the parking brake may be applied automatically. I haven’t tried this but here is what it says (for those who don’t have access):

Prerequisites
— Vehicle is stationary
— Brake is pressed
— Neutral position N is selected

Establishing rolling capability
— Open the vehicle settings in the infotainment system
— Open the vehicle menu
— Open the exterior menu
— Open the brakes menu
— Establish rolling capability

Ending rolling capability
— Press the electronic parking brake button
— or select a driving position
— or the ignition is switched off by pressing the starter button
phixion

Post by phixion »

Interesting, thanks guys I'll check the car menu.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger