D versus B safety

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Every now and again I make the mistake of straying into Facebook, it doesn't take me long to realise it's not the place for rational sensible exchanges and I back out gracefully.

One such conversation got me thinking about One pedal driving (B v D) or whatever alternative. There are a lot of people who swear that B mode is the Be all (lol) and end all of driving. My one concern that has just occured is the emergency braking situation. If your relying day after day on one pedal and suddenly out of nowhere need to slam on.. Is there a risk you will hit the Go pedal?

I realise the ID.3 doesn't do 1 pedal well so maybe this is Off-topic.

Braddad9

Post by Braddad9 »

I think your last sentence said enough.

I love driving in B mode because I barely have to move my foot, I have adjusted my timing to come off earlier and slow down for corners and lights etc. But at the end of the day, when coming to a stop you still need to break - so for me at least, the muscle memory is still there.

Also, I think the car itself would have a good go at emergency breaking for you.
ID3 Max Pro Performance - Scale Silver
Order: 3140****
Original ETA - Late April/Early May
Delivery scheduled - 18 May 2022
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I use both B and D a lot. No preference in general, just how I feel on the day and the journey.
When I lift I have 2 modes. If I'm just controlling speed in true one pedal mode my foot doesn't leave the accelerator. If I'm using B as a brake my foot is off of the pedal and covering the brake pedal as it would be in an ICE with engine braking.
In either case I can't see any risk of hitting the Go pedal in an emergency any more than I would hit the accelerator in an ICE in the same circumstances.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
adas144

Post by adas144 »

I mean its the same risk as in any car. Yes, using OPD you will certainly not use your break pedal anywhere near as often as normal but I dont think you'll ever lose the natural / instinctual reaction to stamp on the break pedal. There's a reason they are designed as a larger / wider pedal.

In regards to B V D though, its completely down to preference. I think I carried over my tendancy to coast a lot when I drove manual. I pretty much always pushed the clutch in and rolled to a stop with the break so I prefer to drive without any OPD at all.
Family Pro Performance - Grey - East Derry Alloys
Ordered: October '21
Arval Salary Sacrifice
Confirmed Build Week 26
Estimated by dealer: Before end of July
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

Personally I feel like cruise control is a bigger risk for something like this than B mode. That was the reason I held off using cruise control for so long but I swear by it and always can react in time to any hazard.
Tour 5 77kWh Pro S 204HP in Stone Washed Blue
Ordered October 2021
Build Started: Week 21 2022
Delivered: Week: Week 26 2022

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Sanya

Post by Sanya »

My last car was BMW i3 and it offered true one pedal driving. I never had a problem performing an emergency stop.
Family Pro Performance | Glacier White | Sanya 20” alloys | Delivered March 2022
3rd time EV owner | BMWi Pure wall box.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

slightly off topic but in the general theme - i use b for everyday driving d for motorway ( i know some will disagree but i seem to get more miles) and use pilot assist as well as the adaptive cruise . drove to leicester and back last weekend - first time i’ve driven it in the ID3 and first time i haven’t felt felt exhausted when we’ve got home - but i get what the original poster means - but as another said the muscle
memory kicks in - indeed did have to slam on, foot went to the right peddle - but the car beat me to it ( not lack of awareness …a fool merging far too close ) and did an admirable job if not a little harsh - scares the bejeezus out of you when it does it ! not over reliant on the tech felt a bit like a pilot i was monitoring and in control of it until i had to act.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

I drive in B mode the whole time and feel like it supports braking when I really need it ( probably an illusion).
I use ACC wherever possible on major roads and the braking works very well, although at times it’s a little heart in mouth.
As I’ve said many times I think weight of the ID3 and how the traction and physical brakes ‘blend’ makes the brakes feel not the best IMHO.
Whether the use of drum brakes at the rear has any bearing on brake performance in any circumstance I’m unsure.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
phixion

Post by phixion »

B mode here too, I just like the way it drives. I still hover my foot over the brake when I think I may need it.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

phixion wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:52 am B mode here too, I just like the way it drives. I still hover my foot over the brake when I think I may need it.
Left foot braking?
phixion

Post by phixion »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:17 am
phixion wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:52 am B mode here too, I just like the way it drives. I still hover my foot over the brake when I think I may need it.
Left foot braking?
Nope, I just remove my right foot from the accelerator and hover over the brake. That way I can slow down more if I need to or come to a complete stop with a light touch of the brake.

If anything I wish B mode had more braking force and came to a complete stop on it's own.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

phixion wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:22 pm
G43FAN wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:17 am
Left foot braking?
Nope, I just remove my right foot from the accelerator and hover over the brake. That way I can slow down more if I need to or come to a complete stop with a light touch of the brake.

If anything I wish B mode had more braking force and came to a complete stop on it's own.
I agree, I wish it would brake more aggressively to a complete stop. When I switch from my car (Mini SE) to my wife’s ID3 I am sometimes caught out because the regen braking is much stronger in the Mini. I find Mini easier to drive with single pedal, but it is just getting familiar.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun