Braking and use of regen when in ACC

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The D v B safety thread reminded me of something.
When driving with ACC (in D) I sometimes want to slow down more than the ACC is doing, for example if I can see a queue or red light ahead. I find quite often in these circumstances (but only when ACC is on up to the point of pressing the brake) the car will indicate it is only using a very small amount of regen when braking. Much less than it would normally. It could be a bug of some kind, or else the car is programmed to use the friction brakes occasionally when braking from ACC to avoid the discs suffering over time. Has anyone else noticed this?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.

Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

sidehaas wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:19 am The D v B safety thread reminded me of something.
When driving with ACC (in D) I sometimes want to slow down more than the ACC is doing, for example if I can see a queue or red light ahead. I find quite often in these circumstances (but only when ACC is on up to the point of pressing the brake) the car will indicate it is only using a very small amount of regen when braking. Much less than it would normally. It could be a bug of some kind, or else the car is programmed to use the friction brakes occasionally when braking from ACC to avoid the discs suffering over time. Has anyone else noticed this?
When ACC is switched on, Eco Assist is disabled so in D mode the car will coast until you press the brake pedal or switch off ACC, When ACC is switched on and active, Regen is used
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Turning on ACC does not disable eco assist, however, I generally have it disabled now anyway - it's not a factor in what I described.
I also just noticed when driving this morning that it also shows the same behaviour in normal driving (with no ACC) if I brake (reasonably heavily but within regen capacity), lift off and immediately brake again at the same intensity. The first brake uses entirely regen, the second uses a tiny bit of regen plus friction brakes.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

sidehaas wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:49 am Turning on ACC does not disable eco assist, however, I generally have it disabled now anyway - it's not a factor in what I described.
I also just noticed when driving this morning that it also shows the same behaviour in normal driving (with no ACC) if I brake (reasonably heavily but within regen capacity), lift off and immediately brake again at the same intensity. The first brake uses entirely regen, the second uses a tiny bit of regen plus friction brakes.

eco assist.jpg

Is your you battery at a high level of charge ?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

No. Regen availability isn't the issue (pale green bar is full), it just seems to not use it in these circumstances.
gfoldys

Post by gfoldys »

yes exactly the same experience of not getting regen green bar when braking on occasions
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Yes, similar experience at times. If I lift and press again it seems to come back as expected but the braking sensation is no different so I assume it's more of a bug in the display than anything.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:14 am Yes, similar experience at times. If I lift and press again it seems to come back as expected but the braking sensation is no different so I assume it's more of a bug in the display than anything.
Interesting, I think it feels different, maybe I'm imagining it!