Max Payload

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

So this is something I've been thinking about recently since I was looking weight of the ID.3 and the Cupra Born.

It's an issue that I've never needed to really worry about with ICE cars because their max payloads are relatively high and basically impossible to hit.

However the ID3 55kWh has a max Payload of 530kg and the 77kWh has a max payload of 420kg. Both of those are extremely possible with 5 people and luggage onboard.

My question is this, what are the implications of going over the max payload? Safety? Increased wear on suspension and tyres? Decreased range?

How much should I be monitoring the weight of my passengers and load? Should I under no circumstances allow the car to have a load more than that?
Tour 5 77kWh Pro S 204HP in Stone Washed Blue
Ordered October 2021
Build Started: Week 21 2022
Delivered: Week: Week 26 2022

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

cornbutter wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:27 pm So this is something I've been thinking about recently since I was looking weight of the ID.3 and the Cupra Born.

It's an issue that I've never needed to really worry about with ICE cars because their max payloads are relatively high and basically impossible to hit.

However the ID3 55kWh has a max Payload of 530kg and the 77kWh has a max payload of 420kg. Both of those are extremely possible with 5 people and luggage onboard.

My question is this, what are the implications of going over the max payload? Safety? Increased wear on suspension and tyres? Decreased range?

How much should I be monitoring the weight of my passengers and load? Should I under no circumstances allow the car to have a load more than that?

I just checked the max payloads for the ICE Golf 8 and they’re basically the same as the ID.3.

Is there such a thing as payload anxiety for EV’s ? 😀

Personally, given the very minor differences in payload figures, I’d give just as much thought to EV payloads as I’ve historically given to ICE payloads….which is pretty much none whatsoever.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I once carried a boot full of bags of pebbles a short drive home from a garden centre in a BMW 1 series coupe. I was a bit (very) dumb and didn't think about the weight beforehand, but when I got home I noticed the wheel arches were virtually touching the wheels. I calculated it and realised it was carrying over half a tonne of stones in the boot. It definitely wasn't meant to carry that all at the back! The handling was significantly affected but it didn't seem to do any long-term harm.
I'd think twice before doing that in the ID3, but really, even with a load capacity of 420kg in a Tour 5, you could put five 70kg adults in it and still have more load capacity remaining in the boot than two suitcases (~50kg). The limits are bound to have a conservative margin in them, especially for a short duration on decent roads. I think it's of no concern unless you are carrying an unusual, dense load.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

I'm tall and a bit more on the heavyset side, about 100kg all in and a couple of my friends are big weight lifters (they're all about cultivating mass!) So the three of us alone would not a million miles away from 350kg between us.

I guess I need to lose some weight to accommodate more passengers!
Tour 5 77kWh Pro S 204HP in Stone Washed Blue
Ordered October 2021
Build Started: Week 21 2022
Delivered: Week: Week 26 2022

DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

The good news is, a ‘normal’ car licence allows to drive up to 3500kg!
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

The load rating on the trues also comes into play.
Fam Pro Perf, 19” Andoya alloys, bike rack prep in turquoise.
Ordered 20.10.21 dealer placed order 25.10.21
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

Flaming76 wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:48 am The load rating on the trues also comes into play.
“Tyres”
Fam Pro Perf, 19” Andoya alloys, bike rack prep in turquoise.
Ordered 20.10.21 dealer placed order 25.10.21
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***