Moving on

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

After 20 months and 8000 miles I've sold my car and am waiting for a new one to arrive , such is the weird state of the second hand market at the moment that I made a £447 profit , the first time in 50 years this has happened . I thought I would just put down what I'll miss and what I wont .
Miss - The matrix Headlights , best thing since sliced bread and in my opinion worth the money if you have to pay for them . White steering wheel and dash, it really lifts the interior and contrary to popular opinion hasn't got particularly dirty ( wiped wheel twice in this time ) and who gets in a car with dirty hands anyway . iD light , really like it when using sat nav and D mode . Sat nav line drawing on small screen much easier to follow than large screen . Really like the driving position and the way the car drives in general. What I won't miss - Iffy software takes an age to load and still throws up errors when there doesn't appear to be any . Haptic light switches especially unlit ones , whoever passed off this design should be sacked . The light switches in general , poor position can't turn lights off if you want ( I've actually had them on at mid day for some reason). Lane assist , who needs to press three times to turn it off ? why not one button as in other cars . Heating on button totally opposite to every other switch , why? . The way mirrors , lane departure etc all default to VW settings when ignition is turned off . Window switches , for the sake of one switch they've made it as awkward as possible . In spite of these faults I've enjoyed my time in the iD3 and it's convinced me to stay electric and lets hope I won't regret selling it and hope updates 2.4 and3.0 live up to the hype and the car becomes what it should have been in the first place , a great car instead of just a good one .
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw

OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

You are getting another ID3??
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

OB1CCFC wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:10 am You are getting another ID3??
Sorry that wasn't quite clear , I'm getting an ioniq5 Premium which should be in the next couple of weeks
Last edited by Bromsgroveuser on Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:45 am After 20 months and 8000 miles I've sold my car and am waiting for a new one to arrive , such is the weird state of the second hand market at the moment that I made a £447 profit , the first time in 50 years this has happened . I thought I would just put down what I'll miss and what I wont .
Miss - The matrix Headlights , best thing since sliced bread and in my opinion worth the money if you have to pay for them . White steering wheel and dash, it really lifts the interior and contrary to popular opinion hasn't got particularly dirty ( wiped wheel twice in this time ) and who gets in a car with dirty hands anyway . iD light , really like it when using sat nav and D mode . Sat nav line drawing on small screen much easier to follow than large screen . Really like the driving position and the way the car drives in general. What I won't miss - Iffy software takes an age to load and still throws up errors when there doesn't appear to be any . Haptic light switches especially unlit ones , whoever passed off this design should be sacked . The light switches in general , poor position can't turn lights off if you want ( I've actually had them on at mid day for some reason). Lane assist , who needs to press three times to turn it off ? why not one button as in other cars . Heating on button totally opposite to every other switch , why? . The way mirrors , lane departure etc all default to VW settings when ignition is turned off . Window switches , for the sake of one switch they've made it as awkward as possible . In spite of these faults I've enjoyed my time in the iD3 and it's convinced me to stay electric and lets hope I won't regret selling it and hope updates 2.4 and3.0 live up to the hype and the car becomes what it should have been in the first place , a great car instead of just a good one .
I have had my ID3 for 18 months now and done almost 15,000 miles. Your thoughts above pretty much match mine. I would just add that range loss in winter is a big disappointment for me. Hopefully the new 12V battery and 2.4 software (if I ever get them) will improve this at least partially.
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:37 am
OB1CCFC wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:10 am You are getting another ID3??
Sorry that wasn't quite clear , I'm getting am ioniq5 Premium which should be in the next couple of weeks

They look like nice pieces of kit, happy motoring 👍
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi.
I’m glad you have enjoyed your experience with the id3 and will miss your contributions on the forum.
I do like your new car would be good to hear your thoughts on it after a few weeks
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Good Luck with the new car, I looked at one a while ago and I found it just looked too big on the outside, too small on the inside, I was quite dissappointed in it as in the pictures I had liked it.

Haptic Light switches? Never understood the light switch issue, I haven't touched mine in 15 months just leave it on auto same as every other car I have driven for 10+ years (I'm sure I rememeber your issues with the lights from a long time back though) Mine are also Lit, or are you on about the other haptic switches which incidentaly I have the same relationship.. I just adjust the temp and that's pretty infrequent.
The mirror switch.. just why did they do that, how did it get through testing, despite 'deleteduser198' reminding us it functioned as per design (and manual) many times I can't think anyone believes VW let that through. It's not used on any other new model so clearly they have binned it off.
Rear Window switch.. best move ever, lost count of the number of embarrassing times I have pulled up and lowered the rear window previously.

Matrix lights - Only reason (well one of the reasons) I haven't sold my ID is the availability of Matrix lights on alternatives without getting a lot more expensive.

Hope you keep dropping in occasionally to see how we are all doing and maybe offer an Off-Topic thread for your thoughts on the Ioniq?
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

You will love the ionic 5 !
We have both a P45 ionic 5 and a 1st edition ID
We love both ! The ID still makes me smile with its sharper handling than the ioniq but the ioniq is so smooth and large!
A few niggles on the ioniq as you would expect (first edition car!) but overall wonderful!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Hoppy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:01 pm You will love the ionic 5 !
We have both a P45 ionic 5 and a 1st edition ID
We love both ! The ID still makes me smile with its sharper handling than the ioniq but the ioniq is so smooth and large!
A few niggles on the ioniq as you would expect (first edition car!) but overall wonderful!
That's good to know , thanks
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Agree with much of what you said!

Speaking of lights, I only realised recently that some of the headlights stay on during the day. Have I got a setting wrong or is this how modern cars work now?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

It's normal, the light bar and the rings around the headlights are daytime running lights.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

Daytime running lights became compulsory for all new cars in the EU in 2011, although I believe that only applied to new models. They don't have to be retro fitted to older cars.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Glad that you are having fun looking at different cars. I have had many ICE cars and the ID3 is my first electric. We have had for over 1 year now and I can quite categorically say that its the best car I have ever had. I love the touch user interface, and the electronic window button that can pull down all the windows at the same time. The things that annoy me are the same things that always have, no option to purchase leather seats and having no speakers in the rear. Apart from that I have no niggles ...
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Good luck with the Ionic 5, Ive always seen that as the natural upgrade for our ID.3 should we feel we need more car.

The ID.3 was our first EV (maybe s/w 3.0 will re-kindle the novelty!), we love it's ease of use, comfort, practicality and cheapness to run, but it's a good driver too. Yep there are software and perceived build quality annoyances if you go looking for them, but all we see day to day is CarPlay and the interior touch points are fine, wearing well, no rattles. It's probably the least annoying general purpose car we've had.

On the other side of the drive our Mini Electric is the fun to drive/desirable option, we adore it and both choose to drive it over the ID.3 every time, but it's not as all round useful and that's where the ID.3 strength lies in our world.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Leccy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:50 pm Good luck with the Ionic 5, Ive always seen that as the natural upgrade for our ID.3 should we feel we need more car.

The ID.3 was our first EV (maybe s/w 3.0 will re-kindle the novelty!), we love it's ease of use, comfort, practicality and cheapness to run, but it's a good driver too. Yep there are software and perceived build quality annoyances if you go looking for them, but all we see day to day is CarPlay and the interior touch points are fine, wearing well, no rattles. It's probably the least annoying general purpose car we've had.

On the other side of the drive our Mini Electric is the fun to drive/desirable option, we adore it and both choose to drive it over the ID.3 every time, but it's not as all round useful and that's where the ID.3 strength lies in our world.
Just out of interest, what are the build quality annoyances you have noticed. Ours seems well screwed together.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

I agree it’s well screwed together, more accurately I should have said the quality of some of the visible materials is annoying, mostly because VW laid themselves open to “VW cabin quality isn’t what it used to be” that every review seem to parrot. The other day I saw a piece bemoaning the door caps in the rear.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Leccy wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:30 pm I agree it’s well screwed together, more accurately I should have said the quality of some of the visible materials is annoying, mostly because VW laid themselves open to “VW cabin quality isn’t what it used to be” that every review seem to parrot. The other day I saw a piece bemoaning the door caps in the rear.
This is only our second VW, so not that much experience with them. I have previously looked at Golfs in the distance past, and always came away thinking that the interiors were just bland.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

They had plenty of soft touch, that’s what seems to upset people, the harder materials on the ID.3. I don’t particularly mind, but it’s very different to the Mini in that regard. There are some harder plastics but they’re well away from what you see and touch most of the time.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

There seems to be a lot of confusion between build quality and material tactility. If the car is highly visible well screwed together, with no rattles and squeaks and does as was intended by design, build quality is good. oth our ID3s scored in that area.

The use of black gloss in areas that will see fingerprints all over them is poor design - the performance Golfs use plenty of black gloss, but in places like instrument surrounds where you're not going to have your fingers leaving highly visible fingerprints. I found the dash top materials plenty soft enough, and the door cards weren't that hard - the Golf does tend to keep the hard stuff out of touching range - the bottoms of a Golf door card are very hard.

When the perception of interior quality is based on the tactility of the materials, you've got to wonder why they don't spend a little more - a plusher set of door cards probably doesn't add more than £20 per car (equating to a likely extra £50 on the car's RRP). For me, the properly cheap feeling parts of the ID3 are the skinny armrests and the minimalist central console - I far prefer the Born's conventional central console with big pad armrest between the 2 front seats. I doubt the ID3 solution cost significantly less than the Born's. To a point, there has to be a differentiation between the 2 cars in interior design, but I just found those skinny armrests a bit crap in use, and as a result, I never used them, whereas I use the Born's.

The Born cheaps out on a more basic rear door card, because someone decided they could save a fiver per car and no-one would notice. When I talk about "cheaping out", the amounts being talked about are tiny, which makes it all the more galling on a relatively expensive car like the ID3 or Born.

The Audi difference is only skin deep - start pulling the interior bits on any mass produced VAG car to fit a dashcam, andyou'll find that they're all screwed together the same way - Torx screws and sprung clips holding interior trim in place. The Audi literally had an extra £100-200 spent on it, which in the grand scheme of total car cost is a very small amount, but allows them to justify a huge premium to sell.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

I am actually considering a new Niro EV (not one with the coloured C panel!). I had a look around one and it just feels a nice all rounder you could keep for 5 years. I’m well aware of the low charging speed but that doesn’t bother me with the way I travel.
What surprised me is the Niro EV is actually lighter than the ID3 and is actually a very similar size, besides a 6 inch longer nose - which I’d prefer design wise and it has a frunk 😛
I should have a test drive in the next couple of weeks before finally committing or not.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.