VW contract with McDonald, Burger King and Chinese

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

VW must have a sponsorship deal with all the Chinese restaurants, Burger King and McDonald as my car shows these on the map all the time.

How do I set my dietary preferences in the menus please so that I don't get these showing or is this impossible?
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
PodPoint Solo charger / Car linked to Tronity for stats

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I find the association very handy - If there's a burger king on site at an indicated service station, it'll almost certainly be a Moto with a few Rapid 125kWh Gridserve chargers on it (and they're surprisingly reasonably priced _ I paid 38p per kWh on a PAYG basis).

We all know that if you are actually in the mood for a meaty burger, Burger King beats McDonalds hands down (just get the app for the discount codes so you don't pay silly money for it).
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
baguette

Post by baguette »

I'm with smyth1492. I'd rather not be advertised to in a car I paid for.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

baguette wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:42 pm I'm with smyth1492. I'd rather not be advertised to in a car I paid for.
You paid for the car - they'll probably see the sat nav subscription as a separate entity that needs to be paid for or paying for itself via advertising, or they think we all want to eat fast food when we stop for a charge.

I also see Shell garages highlighted - probably other brands too, but its the Shell logo that stands out for me on the journey progress bar.

Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

There's a drop down list of locations that you can select for display on the map, it's pretty comprehensive.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Big277wave wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:17 pm There's a drop down list of locations that you can select for display on the map, it's pretty comprehensive.
There is but it doesn't seem to enable you to stop the display of the fast food and chinese restaurants.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

Heaven, can't wait for the car now
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

99% of the time I can get where I am going and back on a charge from home. Whilst i accept BK and MDs could have charging points at them, I still want them off. I'd rather the built in app was better at locating showing the fast charging network especially when you are down to 10% battery
ID.3 Family Pro (May 22), Grey / East Derry alloys. Software 3.2. (2.4 dealer / 3.0 OTA / 3.1 dealer / 3.2 OTA).
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I have never noticed McD or BK symbols that I can remember. I probably turned off fast-food POIs or something. The nav does insist on showing me petrol stations though, despite me turning those off too. It also shows me Costa Coffees inside inaccessible hotels and innumerable local Chinese and southeast Asian takeaways of a questionable nature.
I like the way the map displays things, it's potentially very useful, but there is a bit of optimism needed. I haven't ever thought it's advertising things at me.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

The BIG question. is what Chinese restaurants?
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

I couldn't get over the Chinese flags everywhere. I knew there were a lot of Chinese restaurants in my area but seeing it like that made me laugh. That and 'Italian' places (chippers).
Tour 5 77kWh Pro S 204HP in Stone Washed Blue
Ordered October 2021
Build Started: Week 21 2022
Delivered: Week: Week 26 2022

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

You've just gone on a public internet forum and typed the name of these organisations, with correct Syntax I see.. you can't stop it Google and everybody else now thinks you are interested in these, the only way to stop it is ignore them. Oh or scroll through and deselecting the seemingly endless list of POIs identified by individual company, and generic 'Restautant'. It's not targetting Chinese or Asian takeaways, if you are in the right area you'll see Greek or French and many others.
I don't know whether a nav update resets these, I wouldn't know, never had one lol.....

Upvote for the Burger King app though.. saves a fortune.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

smyth1492 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:13 am 99% of the time I can get where I am going and back on a charge from home. Whilst i accept BK and MDs could have charging points at them, I still want them off. I'd rather the built in app was better at locating showing the fast charging network especially when you are down to 10% battery
I was directed to a McDonalds on my drive down the M1 a few weeks back,just north of Loughborough and was glad I was as I was down to my last 40 miles of charge. I declined the unspoken invite to partake in a horrible mcmuffin at 0630, but did use one of 4 rapid chargers that were in the car park. Very handy. Not sure why the offence is taken on seeing those as POIs unless the Satnav is pestering to use them - e.g. well spoken woman's voice on Satnav says " you've been driving a long time, wouldn't you love a Big Mac and mcFlurry right now? Let me direct you to your nearest McDonald's for refreshment!"

That would be a line crossed for me.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:58 am
smyth1492 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:13 am 99% of the time I can get where I am going and back on a charge from home. Whilst i accept BK and MDs could have charging points at them, I still want them off. I'd rather the built in app was better at locating showing the fast charging network especially when you are down to 10% battery
I was directed to a McDonalds on my drive down the M1 a few weeks back,just north of Loughborough and was glad I was as I was down to my last 40 miles of charge. I declined the unspoken invite to partake in a horrible mcmuffin at 0630, but did use one of 4 rapid chargers that were in the car park. Very handy. Not sure why the offence is taken on seeing those as POIs unless the Satnav is pestering to use them - e.g. well spoken woman's voice on Satnav says " you've been driving a long time, wouldn't you love a Big Mac and mcFlurry right now? Let me direct you to your nearest McDonald's for refreshment!"

That would be a line crossed for me.
Absolutely, because you know the McFlurry machine will be broken anyway...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:21 am
Absolutely, because you know the McFlurry machine will be broken anyway...
My local mcdonalds' mcflurry machine is only down in the hot weather when the cooling/churning system can't freeze the mix quick enough for the demand, and who wants ice cream when it's hot anyway? :lol:

Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Sherlock wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:33 pm
Big277wave wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:17 pm There's a drop down list of locations that you can select for display on the map, it's pretty comprehensive.
There is but it doesn't seem to enable you to stop the display of the fast food and chinese restaurants.
I was sitting in my car today near a McDonalds with time to kill, so I had a look again at the POI (Places of Interest) settings in the navigation system.

My conclusion is that these settings don't work as even disabling all possible restaurant categories, and individual named restaurants e.g. McDonalds, my car still (sometimes) shows them in the Navigation map and route plan. Same thing for Shell and Esso service stations.

It is not a big issue, but has anyone been able to get these settings to work?
I'd ideally like to not have them displayed unless I choose to select them in the Settings.
smyth1492

Post by smyth1492 »

Agreed the settings just don't work. Roll on version 4.0 and perhaps VW might have fixed this