Why does preconditioning take so much power?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ksoni94

Post by ksoni94 »

Im likely not understanding how the feature works fully so im quite curious to know. Today in this scorching heat I was due to go out and so 10mins before I left I opened my app and started the air conditioning on 18 degrees. I had charged the car last night and already used it this morning. When I last left the car I had about 224 miles of range left. Then later, 10mins after starting the preconditioning I got in my car and saw the range had dipped to around 160miles. Im very confused how 10mins of air conditioning took over 60 miles of range off the battery life so im wondering if anyone here knows? Maybe im doing something wrong? πŸ˜…
I.D 3 Family Pro - Order placed 26.07.21 - Picked up 20.02.22

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

At maximum the aircon uses 1-2kw, you can see it on the dash when stopped. It tends to reduce over time but even if you assume 2kw for 10 minutes, that's a third of a kwh, ie 0.5% of the battery.
Did you look at your SoC in the app?
Sounds most likely to be the GOM doing a recalculation but I'm not sure why it would change so significantly.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ksoni94

Post by ksoni94 »

Yeah to be fair I don't think the battery % takes much of a hit. I've done maybe 25-30 miles today and that's taken about 10% of my battery which I think is about right. It sounds like the calculation goes a bit wild though
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

I assume the 224 miles was with the climate, aircon off. Then after the 10 mins preconditioning you got in the car with it on. You would see a significant hit in that circumstance especially if the car was working hard to get to 18degs.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
ksoni94

Post by ksoni94 »

OB1CCFC wrote: ↑Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:26 pm I assume the 224 miles was with the climate, aircon off. Then after the 10 mins preconditioning you got in the car with it on. You would see a significant hit in that circumstance especially if the car was working hard to get to 18degs.
Yeah your assumptions are correct. I guess I thought why would the hit be that high when other times I've just gotten in the car without preconditioning and when Ive then turned on climate/aircon its maybe taken 15 odd miles off my range and so why is the difference so steep πŸ˜…
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

ksoni94 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:18 pm
OB1CCFC wrote: ↑Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:26 pm I assume the 224 miles was with the climate, aircon off. Then after the 10 mins preconditioning you got in the car with it on. You would see a significant hit in that circumstance especially if the car was working hard to get to 18degs.
Yeah your assumptions are correct. I guess I thought why would the hit be that high when other times I've just gotten in the car without preconditioning and when Ive then turned on climate/aircon its maybe taken 15 odd miles off my range and so why is the difference so steep πŸ˜…
The 160 miles range is purely a prediction based on the current demands being placed on the car battery, the 224 mile range previously stated was a prediction based on the demands being placed on the battery then. Aircon or not, if you're tootling around 30 mph roads, you'll get a high prediction vs going out and driving at 60-70mph. The amount of draw the aircon has depends on the difference in ambient temps vs the temp you're trying to achieve in the vehicle - that difference would have been huge yesterday. It helps a lot to put the aircon recirculation on, so you're not dumping that air you just cooled and starting the process all over again. Also, I usually drive around for half a mile with all teh windows down after the car has sat in the heat and become a mobile greenhouse - lets the car cool down quickly with almost no range impact - it could easily be 40C inside a car that's been sat in direct sunlight, even if ambient temps are 28C.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

monkeyhanger wrote: ↑Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:22 am
ksoni94 wrote: ↑Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:18 pm
The 160 miles range is purely a prediction based on the current demands being placed on the car battery, the 224 mile range previously stated was a prediction based on the demands being placed on the battery then. Aircon or not, if you're tootling around 30 mph roads, you'll get a high prediction vs going out and driving at 60-70mph. The amount of draw the aircon has depends on the difference in ambient temps vs the temp you're trying to achieve in the vehicle - that difference would have been huge yesterday. It helps a lot to put the aircon recirculation on, so you're not dumping that air you just cooled and starting the process all over again. Also, I usually drive around for half a mile with all teh windows down after the car has sat in the heat and become a mobile greenhouse - lets the car cool down quickly with almost no range impact - it could easily be 40C inside a car that's been sat in direct sunlight, even if ambient temps are 28C.
I do the same as Monkeyhanger except the recirc air. The GoM is so called for a reason. Setting a temperature of 18C doesn't do much for range. If you really like it that cold fair enough but if the cabin is very hot and it's 28C ambient I set the car to 23C or 24C. The feeling of comfort comes from a combination of lower temperature as well as lower humidity. The AC system dehumidifies as well as reducing temperature so with recirc on you are adding water to the cabin from your body. I Turn recirc air off once I'm in the car. On a long drive on a hot day you will consume a lot more energy at 18C than say 22C.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22