Slow driving sound emission

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

Hi all
I understood that there was a legal requirement that and electric car is set up to emit a sound when driving at slow speeds - in carparks and the like. I don't think mine does. Can anyone clarify this matter for me as I do a lot of slow driving in pedestrian areas as part of my job and people just don't seem to have any idea of my presence if they are not looking at me?
Many thanks

Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Sheps wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:29 pm Hi all
I understood that there was a legal requirement that and electric car is set up to emit a sound when driving at slow speeds - in carparks and the like. I don't think mine does. Can anyone clarify this matter for me as I do a lot of slow driving in pedestrian areas as part of my job and people just don't seem to have any idea of my presence if they are not looking at me?
Many thanks
I don't think pedestrians give a toss any more. They look at you coming down the street and step out anyway, they know you'll stop. So much for the green cross code.

I want the noise of a Tie Fighter on my Born.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Many thanks
You are supposed to have it on I think, but it is fairly quiet and pedestrians often don't hear it. You still need to drive extra carefully in places where they are liable to walk out like a car park.

The sound is as per the video above but it doesn't sound that loud in an open space. If you aren't certain whether it's working, find a quiet bit of road to stop on. Put your window fully down then floor it. For the first 20mph or so you should hear a spaceship type sound.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Deleted User 1676

Post by Deleted User 1676 »

I plan on hacking my sound like this:
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

I like the idea of a Tie Fighter. Or possibly a Lamborghini. Or Ducatti. There is surely a market for these hacks!
cornbutter

Post by cornbutter »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:10 pm
Many thanks
You are supposed to have it on I think, but it is fairly quiet and pedestrians often don't hear it. You still need to drive extra carefully in places where they are liable to walk out like a car park.

The sound is as per the video above but it doesn't sound that loud in an open space. If you aren't certain whether it's working, find a quiet bit of road to stop on. Put your window fully down then floor it. For the first 20mph or so you should hear a spaceship type sound.
Yeah I've definitely found that pedestrians in anywhere other than a quiet indoor space don't hear my car. I really wish there was something other than the horn to actively notify them I'm there. I need the car equivalent of a forced cough. I'm pretty sure some comedian had a bit on that at one point.
Tour 5 77kWh Pro S 204HP in Stone Washed Blue
Ordered October 2021
Build Started: Week 21 2022
Delivered: Week: Week 26 2022

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

cornbutter wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:47 pm
sidehaas wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:10 pm
Many thanks

Yeah I've definitely found that pedestrians in anywhere other than a quiet indoor space don't hear my car. I really wish there was something other than the horn to actively notify them I'm there. I need the car equivalent of a forced cough. I'm pretty sure some comedian had a bit on that at one point.
But most modern ICE cars are as quiet and it's usually the tyre noise that is loudest, the real problem is pedestrians being too preoccupied with conversation, or mobile phones or just not giving any thought to surroundings, especially as now it's guaranteed to be the Car drivers fault.