Location data dropping out.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Trisc64

Post by Trisc64 »

Just done a round trip from Gloucester to Toulouse and back.

We noticed that the car lost its location data a couple of times, once in France, having arrived at our destination - on a few local journeys the satnav was unavailable and speed limits could not be detected. This persisted for a couple of days. Then on return to England it happened again immediately on disembarking the ferry and lasted for about 40 miles before the car was able to read speed limits and use the satnav.

Anyone else experienced this?

Its a 58kW 2021 ID.3 Pro.

Averloc

Post by Averloc »

It happened to me once towards the end of last year - I was driving around all day with the same symptoms you have. Next day it was back to normal and it's never happened again.
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

I am sorry to hear about the location data.

Now tell us about that epic trip. Toulouse is super hot just now, how did the car cope? How was the charger etc?
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

On my trip through France speed detection frequently didn’t work on my Id3. I never really got to the bottom of it. The French really don’t like car radars and like maybe they have magic signs😛
On loss of location data I have lost GPS a couple of times I guess it can happen. Rarely.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
Trisc64

Post by Trisc64 »

Full marks to the car, performed beautifully in the heat and preconditioning is a God-send. My ICE companions were so impressed to get into a cool car that had been standing in direct sun and 40deg heat! A small consolation for always arriving 2 hours behind.

I used ABRP to plan the route and charging stops but if you deviate from the planned route ABRP can suggest some strange chargers even when you know there is a better one a few km up the road, which was a bit disconcerting. It can also overheat the phone and uses more battery than the USB-C ports can supply. Sticking the phone in the aircon vent helped. We also found the infotainment system was flakey so Apple CarPlay and Android Auto would not always connect. Hugely frustrating. Perhaps heat related?

I have a ChargeMap RFID card which worked seamlessly at all the chargers. We only found two chargers out of order, but as the French holiday season was cranking up towards the end of the trip we found ourselves having to wait more often. There are way too few chargers for the domestic market and they are overwhelmed by an influx of pan European EVs.

Leaving aside péage costs we did over 1600 miles for approx €230 at public chargers.

One question, after prolonged driving at motorway speeds, charging to 80% now gives 188 miles predicted range - a big drop from the 220ish we saw before we left. Can I expect this to increase once we return to our usual local driving pattern?
baguette

Post by baguette »

Trisc64 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:39 am We also found the infotainment system was flakey so Apple CarPlay and Android Auto would not always connect. Hugely frustrating.

I also found this to be the case with my setup, although I attributed it to having a device that didn't support Android Auto originally and has it sideloaded from recovery. In any case, the quick solution to this problem was simply to delete the device from the car's App Connect menu and then re-add it. Takes only about 10 seconds and solves the problem every time.

One question, after prolonged driving at motorway speeds, charging to 80% now gives 188 miles predicted range - a big drop from the 220ish we saw before we left. Can I expect this to increase once we return to our usual local driving pattern?

Yes.
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Yes. I have found it forgets the home location and therefore all of the charging times get lost. It seems random. Occasionally the nav system doesn’t start. It seems only getting out of the car and locking/ unlocking restarts the system.

For the heat … we are currently on a short vacation in the south of France … had problems ‘too hot’ with one set of Ionity chargers near Annecy which their CS couldn’t fix remotely. I luckily found one of them that had slightly more shade and was able to charge.

I am not impressed with the aircon, although I like the pre-departure program. The slope of the windscreen catches too much heat when travelling south, and the adjustment of the outlets and temp can’t compensate. Although have to say with 37C average temp, it is a bit exceptional.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
Trisc64

Post by Trisc64 »

duckworthsj wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:26 am For the heat … we are currently on a short vacation in the south of France … had problems ‘too hot’ with one set of Ionity chargers near Annecy which their CS couldn’t fix remotely. I luckily found one of them that had slightly more shade and was able to charge.
Chargers everywhere should be under cover. Makes them easier to find, protects from the elements and should improve their reliability. Trying to read an LCD in direct sunlight can be impossible.

It should be a legal requirement, like petrol pumps.
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Totally agree. These had a small umbrella cover but not something to protect from direct sunlight. So definitely a design fault since 5 out of the 6 wouldn’t work.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Trisc64 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:39 am
Yes the GOM will quickly return to your ‘typical’ estimates.

I think the aircon vents aren’t the greatest. A bit low down and the side ones don’t give a great airflow in my experience. Obviously if you drive in ECO you will get less aircon ‘push’. I tend to drive in Normal on longer trips.
It is a very relaxing long distance car though and the seats are perfect for me- I used to have back pain quite a lot on previous cars.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.