Is now the time to pull the trigger on an ID3 order?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Post Reply
The Cardinal
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:54 am

Post by The Cardinal » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:28 am

Hi,

As a VAG fanboy, I've been considering an ID3 since its launch and it's always felt like a matter of "when not if". I think it's close-to - if not *the* - time to finally pull the trigger.

At the moment, I run three vehicles: a 2013 VW Transporter (camper converted two-tone), a 2016 Audi RS3 and a 2017 Skoda Fabia (family runabout). We had a bit of a family conference recently where we decided not to replace the camper with an ID Buzz on account of its range and lack of features that our current van has, so I'm looking to instead consolidate the two cars. It will be painful to sell the RS3, which has a truly one-off spec, but I seldom use it anyway.

The ID3 seems well-suited to our mainly local city driving needs and has enough range to imply a public charge every 2-3 weeks. With its 80-litre tank, the van would continue to cover truly long distance and load-carrying, albeit having to drive carefully around a local Clean Air Zone.

I'd really like a Family or higher spec ID3, Nonetheless, it looks like a Life with the standard 200hp powertrain is all that can be ordered at the moment. Life is probably everything that's needed for a car like this though, and I was thinking of finding some Sanya wheels separately to swap over with the standard steels periodically. Is it likely that the specs will open up again any time soon?

What are current waiting times and cash deals looking like? The sale of our two cars should give me just enough to buy an ID3 outright, but I'd prefer to time the ID3's arrival during the March-September period (now realistically 2023) to match seasonal used prices being higher.

Thanks :)

monkeyhanger
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:37 am

Cash deals? You might get a freedealership keyring with your keys, that's about it.

It's a sellers market right now, due to la k of supply. Full RRP and a long wait is pretty much what to expect right now. April-Aiug 2021was the time to buy an ID3 - £2500 grant, £1750deposit contribution, £1000.Euro 2020 bonus and maybe a healthy £2500 discount from the dealership's margin were all up for grabs. Now you'll be paying £8k more at full RRP and no incentives.

Coming from an RS3 and presumably liking a sporty interior - have you considered the ID3s sister car - Cupra Born? There's still a few launch cars in stock for immediate delivery.

Get your other cars priced up on Motorway.co.uk or maybe go to an Audi dealer for a price if your RS3 is pretty unique in spec.
His: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps, 58kWh Glacial White, 19" Hurricane Wheels - replaced ID3 PP Life
Hers: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

OB1CCFC
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:38 am

Post by OB1CCFC » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:45 am

A base ID3 is a good solid choice. Plenty of standard kit, very nice build and performance, ‘competitive’ price.
Absolutely a sellers market so no real price incentives. The best you can probably do is look at Motorway to sell rather than trade in.
I’d check on the latest delivery times with a dealer as they seem to be improving. A Born is a fair call, not sure if they depreciate more than a VW though(?).
Other similar options with better delivery times are the Niro EV 2, 3 or the Renault Megane etech.
ID3 1st Edition in glacier white. Wallbox charger. Octopus Go when the smart meter works (not often).

The Cardinal
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:54 am

Post by The Cardinal » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:27 am

Thanks both.

I'm not in a hurry and I was thinking that arrival next spring would be about right. I agree the timing isn't as good as it was for buying, though it's unclear with current inflation that it'll get much better soon. One broker is offering 4.5% off without a penalty for not taking PCP, which seems fair if the timing could work out.

Either of the current cars should be straightforward to sell via commercial buyers, though I expect the RS3's spec would make it more attractive to a private buyer (it's a custom colour with a lot of options).
Last edited by The Cardinal on Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

OB1CCFC
Posts: 248
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:38 am

Post by OB1CCFC » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:31 am

The Cardinal wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:27 am
Thanks both.

I'm not in a hurry and I was thinking that arrival next spring would be about right. I agree the timing isn't as good as it was for buying, though it's unclear with current inflation that it'll get much better soon. One broker is offering 4.5% off without a penalty for not taking PCP, which seems fair if the timing could work out.
Which broker is that, if you don’t mind me asking.
ID3 1st Edition in glacier white. Wallbox charger. Octopus Go when the smart meter works (not often).

The Cardinal
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:54 am

Post by The Cardinal » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:35 am

Drivethedeal.com

Mark V
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:29 am

Post by Mark V » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:45 am

There is no penalty for not taking the PCP because there is no incentive with the VW PCP at the moment!

I picked up a cancelled order last week - so there are cars out there (spotted it on Autotrader while checking used prices). I also got a free pen.
2022 (22 plate) Pure performance 150PS - Moonstone Grey (cancelled order), standard spec.

monkeyhanger
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:09 am

OB1CCFC wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:45 am
A base ID3 is a good solid choice. Plenty of standard kit, very nice build and performance, ‘competitive’ price.
Absolutely a sellers market so no real price incentives. The best you can probably do is look at Motorway to sell rather than trade in.
I’d check on the latest delivery times with a dealer as they seem to be improving. A Born is a fair call, not sure if they depreciate more than a VW though(?).
Other similar options with better delivery times are the Niro EV 2, 3 or the Renault Megane etech.
I'm not expecting any shocks with Born depreciation. Given the current extraordinary situation of people willing to pay more than list for a year old ID3, same pattern looks to be repeating for the Born - the launch stock of the Borns looks to be drying up on Autotrader and used examples (presumably demos) with a few k miles of the clock are filtering through for £4-5k above RRP. The GFVs on the Born look to be marginally better than on the ID3, so VWFS seem to have no concerns there on Born residuals faring any worse than the ID3 (although right now, 1 year old used prices look to be a hell of a lot better than GFVs would suggest they should be - due to the current supply/demand balance).

If the OP's in no rush then there's plenty of options, but how long will people have to wait in reality vs dealership's predictions, for a factory fresh order? Will the swathing gas volume cuts to the Nordstream pipeline supplying Germany from Russia hit Germany's manufacturing output significantly?

If not going factory fresh and having a long wait - keeping an eye on autotrader for new stock being advertised or cancelled orders coming through might be the way to go.
His: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps, 58kWh Glacial White, 19" Hurricane Wheels - replaced ID3 PP Life
Hers: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

sidehaas
Posts: 575
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:04 am

Post by sidehaas » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:41 am

monkeyhanger wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:09 am
If not going factory fresh and having a long wait - keeping an eye on autotrader for new stock being advertised or cancelled orders coming through might be the way to go.
From a purely financial point of view, if the dealership will guarantee your price against inflation (ie will commit to not increase it in line with price rises as announced by VW over the next 12 months) and you think that price is competitive, then I'd say a long wait was a very good deal in the context of high inflation rates. Effectively the money you set aside for the car is holding its value during that period rather than depreciating due to inflation. And then at the end you have a brand new car rather than a 6-12 month old one. Of course this all means you have to wait longer for your new car, which some may not want to.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Software 2.4. Ohme Home Pro charger.

Scratch
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:22 pm

Post by Scratch » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:44 am

sidehaas wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:41 am
monkeyhanger wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:09 am
If not going factory fresh and having a long wait - keeping an eye on autotrader for new stock being advertised or cancelled orders coming through might be the way to go.
From a purely financial point of view, if the dealership will guarantee your price against inflation (ie will commit to not increase it in line with price rises as announced by VW over the next 12 months) and you think that price is competitive, then I'd say a long wait was a very good deal in the context of high inflation rates. Effectively the money you set aside for the car is holding its value during that period rather than depreciating due to inflation. And then at the end you have a brand new car rather than a 6-12 month old one. Of course this all means you have to wait longer for your new car, which some may not want to.
"Effectively the money you set aside for the car is holding its value"
Some of us might need that money to pay the energy bills predicted this morning.

monkeyhanger
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:09 am

It would be a bold dealership that would guarantee a p/x price for 6-12 months, unless it was seriously lower than current used price.

Even with immediate delivery, their p/x prices are very low vs the likes of Motorway - my Wife's ID3 Family fetched £38200 on Motorway, SMC Woking (the supplying dealership for the replcement Born) offered £33500 in p/x.

I think everyone's waiting for the current prices to drop, either through reduced demand as we all get hammered on our utility bills and general inflation, or increase in supply as manufacturing constraint on parts supplies may ease.

The cost to change now or post bubble burst may be broadly the same:-

1. Sell what you have now, get a great price for it to offset having to pay RRP on a new immediately available car.

2. Sell later, put an order in now - if the bubble hasn't burst at time of collection, you'll still get a great price for it to offset having to pay RRP on a new car when it arrives.

3. Sell later, put an order in now - if the bubble bursts before time of collection, you'll get a lower price for the car/s being sold, but the new car will probably get some financial incentive from VWFS (lower APR, deposit contribution) - although you'll still be paying the price you agreed at point of order for the new one.

In the OP's shoes, i'd go with option 1 unless very fussy about spec/colour on the new one - there's a lot more certainty about the outcome.
His: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps, 58kWh Glacial White, 19" Hurricane Wheels - replaced ID3 PP Life
Hers: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

4810510
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:33 pm

Post by 4810510 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:31 pm

Mark V wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:45 am
There is no penalty for not taking the PCP because there is no incentive with the VW PCP at the moment!

I picked up a cancelled order last week - so there are cars out there (spotted it on Autotrader while checking used prices). I also got a free pen.
Hope you don't mind me asking ... can you tell us more about the pen.

monkeyhanger
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:30 pm

4810510 wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:31 pm
Mark V wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:45 am
There is no penalty for not taking the PCP because there is no incentive with the VW PCP at the moment!

I picked up a cancelled order last week - so there are cars out there (spotted it on Autotrader while checking used prices). I also got a free pen.
Hope you don't mind me asking ... can you tell us more about the pen.
The dealers are giving nothing away right now. I bet the salesperson passed him the pen to sign the sales form and he said I'm not signing that unless I keep the pen", and the salesperson reluctantly agreed :lol:
His: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps, 58kWh Glacial White, 19" Hurricane Wheels - replaced ID3 PP Life
Hers: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

Mark V
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:29 am

Post by Mark V » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:48 pm

Its a rather nice VW pen in a presentation box. Now you ask I will go and take a better look!
2022 (22 plate) Pure performance 150PS - Moonstone Grey (cancelled order), standard spec.

Yojoh2o
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:40 pm

Post by Yojoh2o » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 pm

No don’t. Touch it with a bargepole. Nice car plagued by software issues.

monkeyhanger
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm

Post by monkeyhanger » Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:54 am

Cherry's back.
His: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps, 58kWh Glacial White, 19" Hurricane Wheels - replaced ID3 PP Life
Hers: Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

Jamie1c
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:38 am

Post by Jamie1c » Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:05 am

monkeyhanger wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:54 am
Cherry's back.
I think I missed cherry but I've seen him mentioned on here a few times. What's the story with him? I'm guessing he was a downer and always complaining?
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20th of August 2021
Dealership- Arnold Clark
I have no order number, unfortunately.
Status 10 (14/02/22)

DickieBoy
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:44 pm

Post by DickieBoy » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:14 am

Jamie1c wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:05 am
monkeyhanger wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:54 am
Cherry's back.
I think I missed cherry but I've seen him mentioned on here a few times. What's the story with him? I'm guessing he was a downer and always complaining?
Basically yeah. He disappeared at the beginning of this year.

Think he might be most well known for this thread though: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1324
Family Pro
Order Date: 20/11/21
Provisional Build Date: Wk21 (23/05/22)
Car built: 18/07/22
Car delivered: ?

Jamie1c
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:38 am

Post by Jamie1c » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:54 am

DickieBoy wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:14 am
Jamie1c wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:05 am
monkeyhanger wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:54 am
Cherry's back.
I think I missed cherry but I've seen him mentioned on here a few times. What's the story with him? I'm guessing he was a downer and always complaining?
Basically yeah. He disappeared at the beginning of this year.

Think he might be most well known for this thread though: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1324
Cheers mate! I'll have a read at that when I get a minute 👍

Edit- 😂😂 I don't even know where to begin with that.
Last edited by Jamie1c on Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20th of August 2021
Dealership- Arnold Clark
I have no order number, unfortunately.
Status 10 (14/02/22)

G43FAN
Posts: 956
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 am
Location: N. Wales

Post by G43FAN » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:40 am

Yojoh2o wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:13 pm
No don’t. Touch it with a bargepole. Nice car plagued by software issues.
Hardly plaqued.. most of the issues are inconveniences at worst.
Family Pro: East Derry Wheels: Moonstone Grey - Software 2.3 finally installed 13/12/2021
Zappi Charger with Solar Edge 6kW PV array.
Android Connect ID App Ver: 2.2.15
2.4 - 24th August hopefully....

Post Reply