Ohme charger slow charging with v3.0 software - now fixed

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Mikee

Post by Mikee »

As titled really, I have an Ohme charger that won't charge the car higher than 3kw/h. After talking with Ohme they're saying it's the cars fault and need to talk with VW. The car is already on v3 of the software so they can't do anything as it charging properly on other makes of charger.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to check or do next before I get it replaced with a dumb charger.

Edit - October
Massive update. Turns out the CT clamp was broken and it took 2.5 months for Ohme to work it out.

The car happily charges at 7kw now and happily wakes up for delayed charging. I get occasionally get slow charging complaints from the car but it won't stop charging
Last edited by Mikee on Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Family Pro - Kings Red - Sport Suspension - Alloys - Heat Pump

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Disconnect your car from the charger in the Ohme app ie remove the profile. Set up a new profile and instead of selecting the standard ID3 profile in the Ohme app, or the one for your specific car, select the one with the abbreviation "CPWL" in the name. To start with, I would also suggest not connecting it to the car's API, but you could try that later.
The CPWL profile has been created to solve a known interface issue in Ohme with some ID3s that causes the charge to limit itself to 16A (although 3kw seems low). It adjusts the signals that the charger sends to the car when plugging in and when the charger pauses a charge. Try this and see how you get on, several of us on these forums have had success with it.
P.s. you can ignore any error messages thrown up by WeConnectID or red lights at the charge port while waiting for a scheduled charge to begin in this mode, it should still work.

P.p.s have you tried the charger with another car? Is the charger a Home Pro? The other possibility is that the charger's load balancing facility (CT clamp) has not been installed correctly. This also happened to me! I had to get the installer back out to fix it. The way to test this is to hold down the three buttons on the front of the chargers which resets it. On restart you can then choose between 16 and 32A and whether you want load balancing enabled. Assuming you are confident in your house supply being sufficient, then select 32A and disable load balancing. If the charge then works correctly at 32A, that means it's likely the source of the problem is an incorrect setup of your charger's CT clamp, and you should contact your installer.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Mikee

Post by Mikee »

Had a long chat with Ohme today and went through the consumption logs with them, it definitely looks like the car is trying to control the charging rate and keeps refusing to take full charge rate.

Apart from a different car I've tried all the things you're recommended and nothing works. It seems to be how the v3 software works.

Hopefully it's not a problem for other ID.3 owners using smart chargers
Jimmybones100

Post by Jimmybones100 »

Ohme have told me they are still working it out with VW with the new software with ID3 but at least my charger can now can charge during off peak hours.
turntoport

Post by turntoport »

Hmm, Hypervolt same issue...2kW max, forced or scheduled.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

just wondering wether it’s the tarrif? i moved onto intelligent octopus with an ohme pro and set it up as advised - was all
over the place sometimes charged fully somethings didn’t - it’s more consistent now - 1 schedule 80% by 5.29am - only issue is that on the hour every hour the car ‘wakes up’ full headlights and back lights - im on 2.3 - ohme are good and it took a firmware update of the charger to get things more settled as well - maybe that’s it? they do it their side as it’s not been rolled out yet fully as i understand- just my two penneth!
Mikee

Post by Mikee »

billybobb2019 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:21 pm just wondering wether it’s the tarrif? i moved onto intelligent octopus with an ohme pro and set it up as advised - was all
over the place sometimes charged fully somethings didn’t - it’s more consistent now - 1 schedule 80% by 5.29am - only issue is that on the hour every hour the car ‘wakes up’ full headlights and back lights - im on 2.3 - ohme are good and it took a firmware update of the charger to get things more settled as well - maybe that’s it? they do it their side as it’s not been rolled out yet fully as i understand- just my two penneth!
I wish it was the problem, the issue predates me moving over to Intelligent Octopus.

I've had to settle in only being able to add 22kW of charge in six hours. Even with the slow charging speed I've still managed to do 1900 miles in the last eight weeks.
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

I’m surprised this is still an issue with v3 software. I had loads of grief with this but the CPWL profile sorted it.

I’ve switched to a Cupra Born that’s running V3 software and it’s be working fine without any special profile so assumed the ID3 would be fixed too.

The only other things I can think of is to check the car isn’t set to reduced AC charging and go through the following from support when mine was installed. As mentioned before if the CT clamp isn’t fitted then load balancing should be disabled. Mine was left on after installation:

[from Ohme support email]
It could be an issue with the load balancing feature. To test this, are you able to hold down all three blue buttons so that the charger goes into installer mode? Once you've done so, you should see 'max amp 32A', leave this as is and click 'next'. Then, you should see the option to disable or enable load balancing. Click 'disable', 'next', and then 'exit set-up'. Could you then try charging the car and see if it hits the full charge rate? Do bear in mind that this feature prevents there from being an overload on your supply circuit. If you have other appliances (dishwasher, washing machine, power shower) on the same supply, it would be best to test this when these are not in use.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Hi all, Had the new software installed and battery changed and have had a few instances now where the car has not properly charged. Would normally get 30kw over four hours (EO Mini) but only 15kw last night. Anyone else had issues, it seems a strange coincidence that it only happened after the upgrade, previous 10,000 miles no issues?
eeccbb

Post by eeccbb »

We are having the same problem as Whistler. Only charging at 4kw instead of the 8kw when changing it on our PodPoint during the four hours we get at the cheap rate. We never had a problem before the update software. Very frustrating.
EssEhJay

Post by EssEhJay »

Mine did it as well, I think it's coincidence that 2.4 was installed recently. I unplugged the car, reset the Ohme at the consumer unit and once it had booted back up, plugged the car back in. It's been fine since then. I'm guessing something sqwiffy at Ohme's end.
Mikee

Post by Mikee »

Random question for those with an Ohme charger. When you put the charger into developer mode how many amps are you seeing during the test.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Mikee wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:13 am Random question for those with an Ohme charger. When you put the charger into developer mode how many amps are you seeing during the test.
What's developer mode? (We might have different chargers, mine is an Ohme Home Pro). When mine is set to 32A I actually get around 32.5A. I haven't ever run it with an intentional 16A limit in place (you can set this if the charger is reset manually by holding down all three buttons on the front).
Don't know if this helps...
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Mikee

Post by Mikee »

sidehaas wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:26 pm
Mikee wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:13 am Random question for those with an Ohme charger. When you put the charger into developer mode how many amps are you seeing during the test.
What's developer mode? (We might have different chargers, mine is an Ohme Home Pro). When mine is set to 32A I actually get around 32.5A. I haven't ever run it with an intentional 16A limit in place (you can set this if the charger is reset manually by holding down all three buttons on the front).
Don't know if this helps...
My bad, meant installer mode. Mine is set to 32amps but when it runs a test it only shows 12amps.

PXL_20220812_174730506.jpg

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Ah ok, sorry, I can't help with that, have never used it.
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:25 pm I’m surprised this is still an issue with v3 software. I had loads of grief with this but the CPWL profile sorted it.

I’ve switched to a Cupra Born that’s running V3 software and it’s be working fine without any special profile so assumed the ID3 would be fixed too.

The only other things I can think of is to check the car isn’t set to reduced AC charging and go through the following from support when mine was installed. As mentioned before if the CT clamp isn’t fitted then load balancing should be disabled. Mine was left on after installation:

[from Ohme support email]
It could be an issue with the load balancing feature. To test this, are you able to hold down all three blue buttons so that the charger goes into installer mode? Once you've done so, you should see 'max amp 32A', leave this as is and click 'next'. Then, you should see the option to disable or enable load balancing. Click 'disable', 'next', and then 'exit set-up'. Could you then try charging the car and see if it hits the full charge rate? Do bear in mind that this feature prevents there from being an overload on your supply circuit. If you have other appliances (dishwasher, washing machine, power shower) on the same supply, it would be best to test this when these are not in use.
Based on my experience over the last 3 months with a completely different home charger , I dont think your problem is with the charger.

IMHO it is the VW Software or AC Charger circuit that is the problem. If you want to confirm this, try attaching another make of EV to your charger…
I posted the below on a different thread, but seems to be relevant to the thread.
We still have charging issues on our 7,8 KW rated (32Amp) home charger. It seems to only take 1 to 2 KW per hour, so never reaches the target 80% even with overnight charging starting at 20 or 30% battery. I have checked the ‘reduced current settings’ but cannot find the problem.
It has been doing this ‘reduced charge rate’ for a number of months.

By comparison my Mini electric charges normally at home between 6 and 7KW per hour consistently, so it is not our charger.

The VW charges ‘as predicted’ by the chaque curves on the exterior 100KW DC chargers….

Ours has been into the garage twice where on the first occasion during 2 days they failed to achieve the update. The line to the VW server dropped each time they tried. On a second visit they claimed to have success.
HOWEVER when I check the vehicle info and software status it is still showing Software Version 2,3.

Also every few weeks it loses the ‘location’ charge settings I have set up for the house.

I am getting more and more angry with this car, and on the point of handing them back the keys and telling them to screw themselves for the Lease contract.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
TheDarylSharp

Post by TheDarylSharp »

Hi,

Anyone on this post with an Ohme Charger and the VW APi can you reach out to the customer service team as we have an update on this and would like your feedback.
billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

TheDarylSharp wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:54 pm Hi,

Anyone on this post with an Ohme Charger and the VW APi can you reach out to the customer service team as we have an update on this and would like your feedback.

i dont know if its of any help but I had the same issue with our ohme pro and the id3 - OHME did a firmware push update to it and it seemed to have resolved it - no issues with charging since, we are on 2.4 though

BB
Jimmybones100

Post by Jimmybones100 »

I have just received an email from them,I got an Ohme and tour pro,sometimes it charges but sometimes it’s just 8kw only all 7hrs off peak all night long,they are putting the blame on VW,waiting to hear what’s next.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

TheDarylSharp wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:54 pm Hi,

Hi Daryl
To clarify,do you mean the Ohme customer service team - do you work for Ohme?
Mine was fixed quite a while back by moving to the CPWL car profile in the Ohme app (when on ID software 23, but one of the later builds). It stayed working as expected when I moved to VW Id software 2.4. I have never connected to the VW API though, I'm happy with how it works without the API. Have the ID3 profiles now been updated such that it should work with the API without the CPWL profile?