Should DC Charge stop at Limit set in Car ?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
SilverID3

Post by SilverID3 »

My car has been back to dealer today for a small snag fix..

When I collected the car, the dealer had it plugged into some kind of rapid CCS DC charger, and it was charged to 100%.
However, the car is set to charge to 80% as per the recommendation of the very same dealer, but it clearly didn't stop charging at 80%.
I am interested if the CSS DC Rapid and the more conventional 7KW charger I have at home have different charger settings within the car ?

As it was at 100%, and I only live 2 miles from the dealer, there was me on way home from the dealer going long way round and round in circles, trying to use up battery..
I do not need the car until Monday and I hear it is bad to leave at 100% for more than a few hours..
I got it down to 88% before I gave up and went home, so hoping this is OK to stand until Monday, even though it is currently charged to greater than 80% ?

In the month that I have owned the car, this is my first experience of Rapid charging, so me thinks I still have plenty to learn :-(
Family Pro Performance. East Derry Wheels, Scale Silver - Ordered 11th Oct 2021

Estimated Handover: April 2022

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

The dealer may have charged to 100% and then reset the limit to 80% afterwards. I know VWs guide for PDi tells dealers to charge to minimum 80% before handing the car over - I guess some people would complain otherwise.
I wouldn't worry about it being high for a couple of days, especially not at 88%, that won't do any harm. Even 100% is not true 100%, there is a top buffer. These are general rules to reduce battery degradation over a period of years, breaking them occasionally will not have a cliff edge effect.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

Don't worry about it, we nearly always charge to 100% and after 11 months and 9K miles I've not noticed any battery degradation. Maybe in the winter drive a few miles after a 100% charge but at the moment just use the full range.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Agreed, we’ve 40k (km) on the clock now and 19th months. We don’t stress over 80% vs 100% at all and still getting the same range.

To the question, yes it should stop at 80% (or whatever) but we find our dealer always resets the limit to 100%. Maybe that is there process?
ytshome

Post by ytshome »

We’ve bought three new evs now and each time we have picked the cars up they’ve been charged to 100%. Having spoken to many of the salesmen who almost all have the id4, they all seem to charge to 100% all the time. In fact, whilst I’m careful like you, or at least I have been, I’ve got a new id5 gtx on order for collection in September and having read the blurb I see that it only achieves maximum power when at 88% or above, so vw must realise that owners of those cars will charge to maximum often.

And frankly, VW should anticipate this and do something like Tesla have to allow maximum charging to 100% rather than 80%.
Splitty

Post by Splitty »

Elon Musk was in the press the other day recommending that Tesla owners only charge to 80% and the main reason was efficiency and regen braking as at 100% there’s nowhere for the regen to go. But there is no official Tesla recommendation AFIK.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Splitty wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:44 am Elon Musk was in the press the other day recommending that Tesla owners only charge to 80% and the main reason was efficiency and regen braking as at 100% there’s nowhere for the regen to go. But there is no official Tesla recommendation AFIK.
In an ID3 you still get quite a bit of regen even at 100% - it's still able to regen because it allows itself to use part of the top buffer for this purpose. You won't get quite as much regen as normal if you brake hard. Driving gently you'll get as much at 100% as you do any other SoC. You can see how much is available through the green bar in the cockpit.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
SilverID3

Post by SilverID3 »

The original question was less about the issue of charging above 80% and more about should the rapid charge stop at 80% as per the cars charge settings ?

The dealer hadn't wound the charge level in the car upto 100%, it was still set at 80% when I collected it !!

Surely the rapid charger should respect the the 80% limit set in the car ??
Family Pro Performance. East Derry Wheels, Scale Silver - Ordered 11th Oct 2021

Estimated Handover: April 2022
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

SilverID3 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:45 pm The original question was less about the issue of charging above 80% and more about should the rapid charge stop at 80% as per the cars charge settings ?

The dealer hadn't wound the charge level in the car upto 100%, it was still set at 80% when I collected it !!

Yes it should.
It's highly likely the dealer changed the limit to 100%, charged the car and then changed the limit back to 80%. The car doesn't throw up any sort of error if you do this. If you have a new car with software 3.0 I believe it even has a feature that reverts the limit back to 80% by default after a higher charge, if the feature is enabled. So I strongly suspect you are worrying about nothing. Easy way to find out.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

sidehaas wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:37 pm
SilverID3 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 3:45 pm The original question was less about the issue of charging above 80% and more about should the rapid charge stop at 80% as per the cars charge settings ?

Yes it should.
It's highly likely the dealer changed the limit to 100%, charged the car and then changed the limit back to 80%. The car doesn't throw up any sort of error if you do this. If you have a new car with software 3.0 I believe it even has a feature that reverts the limit back to 80% by default after a higher charge, if the feature is enabled. So I strongly suspect you are worrying about nothing. Easy way to find out.
Yes, I think your spot on there.. I forgot about that new feature, it will have charged to 100% then reverted.