Longer trip charger booking

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ChrisTurner

Post by ChrisTurner »

Hi.

Something I’ve not seen much info on yet, is which apps to use for booking chargers slots at Motorway services etc.

I see there have been a few company mergers and name changes, but am wondering what the preferred options are? Any thoughts? Thanks!
Id3 Life Pro 145PS Moonstone Grey (with cycle carrier and heat pump as extras) ordered 2nd October ‘21.
"Confirmed" build - week 34 (22nd August).
Collected on 26th September '22.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Do you actually mean booking slots in advance? If so that's not a thing I've heard of. They are all first come first served.
Most services have Gridserve chargers which are entirely contactless card operated, there is no app. You can look at live availability data on their website, or via zapmap/wattsup apps with a slight delay.
Good alternatives you will occasionally find at services or (more often) at other sites near motorway junctions include Ionity (who have an app and you can also use wecharge RFID card), Osprey (ditto but also work with contactless cards), Instavolt (using contactless cards or their own app) and MFG (using contactless cards or they also work with Octopus Electric Juice now, as do Osprey and Ionity).
To keep it simple you can use all the above with just a credit card and your wecharge card without any apps.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ChrisTurner

Post by ChrisTurner »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:40 pm Do you actually mean booking slots in advance?
Yep - booking in advance. Pretty sure the VW salesman told us that it's a thing. So long since we made the order though, I've possibly remembered it incorrectly. :)
Id3 Life Pro 145PS Moonstone Grey (with cycle carrier and heat pump as extras) ordered 2nd October ‘21.
"Confirmed" build - week 34 (22nd August).
Collected on 26th September '22.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Certainly that works over here. Maybe a European thing?
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

ChrisTurner wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:22 pm
sidehaas wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:40 pm Do you actually mean booking slots in advance?
Yep - booking in advance. Pretty sure the VW salesman told us that it's a thing. So long since we made the order though, I've possibly remembered it incorrectly. :)
Booking rapid chargers in advance is not a thing in the UK.
As long as you do a bit of planning and stick to the larger sites and better networks, availability is generally very good. I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't had to wait yet; if you do it won't be for long. You're more likely to hit problems if you turn up at a busy services with only one or two chargers in rush hour due to not planning your stops well.
Edit - if you mean a destination charger at a hotel or something, you might be able to book a suitable parking space, you'd just need to call them and ask.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.