Charger network in Europe. Watch out in Italy

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Some of you maybe thinking your EV needs a holiday in the sun. So what about charging using the WeConnect card.

I live and travel a lot in France, S Germany and Switzerland and I have had no issues with WeConnect. I don’t like the software because it doesn’t locate all of the chargers but starting the charge using the RFID card is never a problem. I have the ChargeMap card and app. because it gives me more charging options and is easier to use.

Warning for Italy!
Just done a 1000km drive to Abruzzo region and have experiences some big problems when south of Bologna.
1) The number of high speed chargers, even on the autostrada service areas and major towns drastically reduces.
2) None my RFID cards (VW, Mini, ChargeMap) do not seem to work. The Enel-X 22Kw network you find in many of the towns is particularly bad. But same with the BeCharge
3) The Enel X network uses the JuicePass cards or App, but downloading and activation is not straightforward. The QR codes on the chargers also lead to a ‘page not found’.

I had a particular ‘stressful evening’ in Ancona finding a charger with only 50km range left.

I have been very lucky that my Mini Charge App has allowed me to activate the BeCharge chargers via the App without the card. It has worked flawlessly.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun

ajf

Post by ajf »

Hi Duckworthsj,

Thanks for the info. I am due to go to Austria later this year and have noted your comments above.

I have just downloaded the Chargemap app and, following your words, I will order a card too, as you stress that is useful

Questions:
Am I right that the WeConnect card carries a monthly subscription?
If so, do you effectively get that back through cheaper charge rates?
Did you ever use Ionity?
iD3 Tour Pro (77kW) in white
Ordered Aug 2021, initially due Jan 2022, arrived 31 May 2022
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

WeCharge has 3 subscription options, form pay-as-you-go with no monthly fee, a medium monthly subscription and lower charging fees, and finally a heavy usage subscription with higher monthly fees and even lower charging rates. https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/electri ... harge.html

I took out the WeCharge Plus at £9.99/month/lower with low charge rates and it's been very good. It essentially paid for itself on one long 3,000km trip.

I also have both Tesla and Ionity accounts set up so I can talk directly to the charger in case of WeCharge problems, and this has got me out of a few holes in the past (VW server getting confused about the cars charging status, stopping WeCharge from working.)

However, once you are off the autoroutes deep in the country it gets very messy fast and I've had lots of problems, including a charger that only worked with WeCharge on certain days, with no discernible pattern. The granny charger with a good quality adaptor plug has also been very useful on occasion.