A couple of general questions re charging in Scotland

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
shortben

Post by shortben »

Hi guys,

I am due to take delivery of a ID.3 107KW Life Pro 62kWh in October from Leasing Options. I ordered in January.

It's my first electric car and I am trying to get to grips with the nuances of EV Charging, costs, technology etc

I have been spending hours on forums and other websites trying to educate myself but I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions to fill in the blanks.

* I assume that you don't get a free charging cable with the ID.3? I was going to buy a type 2 to type 2 cable for public charging, is something like this suitable?

https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/vol ... 5-10-metre

* I have a number of free charging points near my house, they are 7kW, how long does it typically take to charge 80%? 8 Hours?

* Anyone from Scotland, how are you best using public charging the most cost effective way? Any grants or tips? I assume that the free chargers are typically full?

* I have some PodPoints near me in my local LIDL car park, they are 25p per kW, I assume this will double come the energy cap, about the same as home charging. What's the benefits of home charging now given the huge cost of electricity? Are PodPoints worth it?

Hope these questions make sense.

Thanks

Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

The ID.3 comes with a type 2 AC 3phase charging cable, this will allow you to make use of 11kw charge speeds on 22kw chargers. Get a chargeplace Scotland account and order the RFID card - this is very handy when a machine loses network connection.

On 7kw charging 80% is around 6.5 hours. If you can, switch onto Octopus and ask to be put on their GO tariff asap, this will give you 4hrs cheaper during the night for charging.
slef2003

Post by slef2003 »

should come with a type 2 charging cable.
for charging speed divide the free capacity by 7 to get a rough time scale i.e for 58 (usable capacity forget the 62 figure) - current charge status and 80% (10% = 5,8kwh) and divide by 7 eg if you need 22.5 kwh this is roughly 3 and a bit hours
20.08.21 Order Tour Pro S Bog Standard Robinsons VW Lowestoft
Order Number 31435***
16.02.22 Given Build Week 37
29.05.22 Given Build Week 34
02.07.22 Given Build Week 36!
12.08.22 Given Build Week 48!
02.23 confirmed build week 09
Collection 28.04.23
shortben

Post by shortben »

Thanks, I appreciate the response.

Are public chargers in Scotland cheaper then England? I typically see 50pkW quoted as the price down south.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Big_GT wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:05 pm Get a chargeplace Scotland account and order the RFID card - this is very handy when a machine loses network connection.
Agree with this.
Some are still free, but often full up as you'd expect, but they are all much cheaper than say Gridserve/Instavolt/Osprey.
Typical price is 25-30 pence per kWh.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
shortben

Post by shortben »

Raxacorico wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:29 pm
Big_GT wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:05 pm Get a chargeplace Scotland account and order the RFID card - this is very handy when a machine loses network connection.
Agree with this.
Some are still free, but often full up as you'd expect, but they are all much cheaper than say Gridserve/Instavolt/Osprey.
Typical price is 25-30 pence per kWh.
Thanks, I'll get a card sorted.

I have quite a few free within 0.5 miles of my house. I am going to check them out tonight and see what the lie of the land is.
ashmcmac

Post by ashmcmac »

Hi there ……definitely get ChargePlace card and app !! All park and ride stations in Edinburgh / Stirling / Perth are still free of charge 👍 . Not sure if the following information is correct for all scotland . Maximum parking stay in 7kw ( on street parking) 3hrs ……1 hour in 50 kw chargers . Parking free in Dundee . NOT MULTI STOREY
Jamie1c

Post by Jamie1c »

ashmcmac wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:39 pm Hi there ……definitely get ChargePlace card and app !! All park and ride stations in Edinburgh / Stirling / Perth are still free of charge 👍 . Not sure if the following information is correct for all scotland . Maximum parking stay in 7kw ( on street parking) 3hrs ……1 hour in 50 kw chargers . Parking free in Dundee . NOT MULTI STOREY
Still free here in Airdrie. Drumgelloch train station and Airdrie train station. No maximum parking stay that I've noticed. 👍
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20/08/21
Dealership- Arnold Clark
Status 10 (14/02/22)
Collected - 28/04/23
shortben

Post by shortben »

How are you finding availability of the free charging stations in Central Scotland? Easy enough to get a space once or twice a week?
Jamie1c

Post by Jamie1c »

shortben wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:14 pm How are you finding availability of the free charging stations in Central Scotland? Easy enough to get a space once or twice a week?
For me it's never been an issue, I've only used the ones I mentioned plus another in the town centre which I forgot about. My current car is an outlander phev so I'm only charging for about 20 mins at the most.
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20/08/21
Dealership- Arnold Clark
Status 10 (14/02/22)
Collected - 28/04/23
Jaylow

Post by Jaylow »

Hi shortben currently the cheapest fast charger is lidl at 28pence per kW if you download the charge place Scotland app to your phone it will show all the available charge points. Most are 30pence per kW but some are free. Tesco 7 kW are free also. 7 kW are fine for a top up. To work out how long it will take to charge its simple arithmetic. Your car has 58kw to charge so if you were totally empty and you were charging on a free 7 kW per hour charger you can charge 7kW in one hour 14 kW in 2 hours and so on. If you are at 20 percent charge and want to charge up to 80 percent it would take a little under 5 hours roughly to charge. A 50 kW charger at lidl will do the same in about 40 minites but would cost just under 10 pound.
shortben

Post by shortben »

Jaylow wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:41 am Hi shortben currently the cheapest fast charger is lidl at 28pence per kW if you download the charge place Scotland app to your phone it will show all the available charge points. Most are 30pence per kW but some are free. Tesco 7 kW are free also. 7 kW are fine for a top up. To work out how long it will take to charge its simple arithmetic. Your car has 58kw to charge so if you were totally empty and you were charging on a free 7 kW per hour charger you can charge 7kW in one hour 14 kW in 2 hours and so on. If you are at 20 percent charge and want to charge up to 80 percent it would take a little under 5 hours roughly to charge. A 50 kW charger at lidl will do the same in about 40 minites but would cost just under 10 pound.
Thanks Jaylow. That's a good summary.

I'd probably be looking to charge once a week max.

It seems like I have a few options really near me in with free 7kW chargers. That's positive.

Also LIDL is literally 1 minute from me so would be perfect for an 'Emergency' Rapid charge if I needed to travel further afield at short notice.

I am more confident with the charging process now and very much appreciate the help.
Jamie1c

Post by Jamie1c »

shortben wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:07 am
Jaylow wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:41 am Hi shortben currently the cheapest fast charger is lidl at 28pence per kW if you download the charge place Scotland app to your phone it will show all the available charge points. Most are 30pence per kW but some are free. Tesco 7 kW are free also. 7 kW are fine for a top up. To work out how long it will take to charge its simple arithmetic. Your car has 58kw to charge so if you were totally empty and you were charging on a free 7 kW per hour charger you can charge 7kW in one hour 14 kW in 2 hours and so on. If you are at 20 percent charge and want to charge up to 80 percent it would take a little under 5 hours roughly to charge. A 50 kW charger at lidl will do the same in about 40 minites but would cost just under 10 pound.
Thanks Jaylow. That's a good summary.

I'd probably be looking to charge once a week max.

It seems like I have a few options really near me in with free 7kW chargers. That's positive.

Also LIDL is literally 1 minute from me so would be perfect for an 'Emergency' Rapid charge if I needed to travel further afield at short notice.

I am more confident with the charging process now and very much appreciate the help.
Do you have any idea how much the chargers at lidl is? There's a Lidl being built just now next to Airdrie's football stadium and apparently there will be chargers there.
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20/08/21
Dealership- Arnold Clark
Status 10 (14/02/22)
Collected - 28/04/23
Jaylow

Post by Jaylow »

Currently it's 28 pence a kW but will probably go up again in the near future like everything else.
Jamie1c

Post by Jamie1c »

Jaylow wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:36 am Currently it's 28 pence a kW but will probably go up again in the near future like everything else.
Not bad. That's true.
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20/08/21
Dealership- Arnold Clark
Status 10 (14/02/22)
Collected - 28/04/23
Jaylow

Post by Jaylow »

Jamie1c you have 1 in Bellshill which is your nearest.
Jamie1c

Post by Jamie1c »

Jaylow wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:57 pm Jamie1c you have 1 in Bellshill which is your nearest.
Yeah seen that mate. I'm happy with the chargeplace Scotland ones at the moment. I'm right next to drumgelloch train station, couldn't be any handier. I'll certainly keep bellshill in mind when I eventually get the id3 as a backup for charging.
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20/08/21
Dealership- Arnold Clark
Status 10 (14/02/22)
Collected - 28/04/23
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

If it’s easier I find a 7kw charger gives about 30 miles per hour.
Check Lidl terms I have heard if you charge there and don’t shop you will get a fine even if paying for the charging.
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Jamie1c

Post by Jamie1c »

Warminster id wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:03 am If it’s easier I find a 7kw charger gives about 30 miles per hour.
Check Lidl terms I have heard if you charge there and don’t shop you will get a fine even if paying for the charging.
I thought that would be the case. Once this new one opens I'm planning on doing shopping there to try it out and give the charger a go. I've never shopped in a lidl but if it's any good then it's a win win.
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20/08/21
Dealership- Arnold Clark
Status 10 (14/02/22)
Collected - 28/04/23
Jaylow

Post by Jaylow »

There is a time limit for lidl car park which is 90 minutes it's not for the charger. If you park in a normal bay and go over 90 minutes you will be charged. You don't have to shop there to charge your car how could they police it.