Wireless phone charging - not in the UK

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

UK 1st edition models definitely do NOT include wireless phone charging - I decided to open the centre console up, there simply is no hardware.

If you take out the rubber phone pocket you'll see a metal panel, this can be removed with a bit of effort by pushing the 2 shiny metal clips down one side towards the centre - there is a lovely space behind that panel where a charger COULD go but instead there's just an empty space.

The current UK ID3 brochure refers to the centre console space as an "illuminated smartphone storage compartment". Sadly we all got the 1st Plus edition in the UK, the pricier 1st Max edition sold overseas includes it - not even the UK "series" models have it listed in their spec.

The wiring diagram for a car such as the 1st Max can be found online: https://evflux.pro/id3-interior#front-c ... lhd-models

From what I could see in my car, the USB-C hardware (part 6) is different as I couldn't see a spare socket to power the actual charger (part 5) - these might be available through unofficial suppliers if anyone fancies finding out, I'm just going to order a charging mat and plug it into a USB-C port!

Deleted User 192

UPDATE: The Tour spec with the 77kWh battery WILL include wireless charging, but is the only UK model which will.
ID-Ian

Post by ID-Ian »

Is this not the wireless charging option:
    Comfort telephony with LTE and wireless charging[/list][/list]

If so it lookalike it s standard on all series ID3 except 1st Edition -
    In the brochure it is part of the infotainment package

Infotainment Package
    » Navigation system “Discover Pro”
    » Comfort mobile phone interface
    » Wireless smartphone charging

Looks like it was omitted from 1st Ed only
    Deleted User 192

Which brochure are you looking at?

This is the price and spec guide: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live ... t-p11d.pdf

No mention of it in there.
    ID-Ian

Post by ID-Ian »

Apologies I was looking at the 23/10 Brochure was not aware that VW have done an update 2 weeks later

From what can see wireless charging is not appearing anywhere in the new brochure but it is coming up as standard equipment in the online configurator for all models.
    So the brochure does not align with the website configurator.

I would hope wireless charging comes as standard in a ne state of the art high the car but then again it does not come with alloys and only front speakers. Its like being back in the 1980s
    Deleted User 192

Yes I am disappointed that the 1st Plus doesn’t include it, and it will never be an option to get one added via VW directly - at least the 1st comes with some lovely looking alloys :D
    dsilvapt

Post by dsilvapt »

Mine is only heating the smartphone. Doesn't charge at all.

Also the front USB-C aren't quick charge.
    Only the two on the back set are working fast charging.
    billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

don’t know if i’m missing the direction of this thread but y max definitely does have wireless phone charging andy when i put my phone in the slot it even says on the centre console charging mobile device
    chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

You may be missing the fact that this thread is more than a year old!
    Deleted User 192

billybobb2019 wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:31 am don’t know if i’m missing the direction of this thread but y max definitely does have wireless phone charging andy when i put my phone in the slot it even says on the centre console charging mobile device

Of the UK specs, only the 1st Edition (known as a 1st Plus in other countries) does not have wireless charging.
    billybobb2019

Post by billybobb2019 »

chrisfs wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:58 am You may be missing the fact that this thread is more than a year old!
    I was replying to the previous poster mate who recently posted - not from the beginning….. hence my question ? just trying to be helpful