Error Drive system

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Jono

Post by Jono »

3rd day with new ID3 - this morning I was greeted with “error drive system - visit workshop”. Perhaps by luck, I was just setting off to the workshop as the car was booked in to correct other errors.

They’ve added this one to the list - I’ll update with outcome.

Currently sat in the socially distanced showroom with 4 other masked customers.

CF4E69C2-1A01-45ED-8DF2-211274B87982.jpeg

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I've seen that posted by a number of users on Facebook, there is a theory that this may happen if you leave the car plugged into a charger for over a certain amount of time.

It's one of those that disappears again - switch off and lock up, wait a few minutes, unlock and start, and it might go away.
Jono

Post by Jono »

It’s been reset by the dealer - seems you can’t leave car plugged in for more than 8 hours.

Looks like I’ll have to get up in the middle of the night to unplug LOL.

Quite unbelievable
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

Jono wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:43 pm It’s been reset by the dealer - seems you can’t leave car plugged in for more than 8 hours.

Looks like I’ll have to get up in the middle of the night to unplug LOL.

Quite unbelievable
What a load of rubbish. Have left ours plugged in for literally days at a time (eg over a weekend when I can’t be bothered to go out in bad weather to unplug or during lockdown when I know it’s not going to be used) .....never had a problem... in fact don’t think I’ve ever left it plugged in for LESS than 8 hours....it’s normally 11-12 as a minimum...
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

So from your similar comment on other threads, they gave you the same reason (plugged in for longer than 8 hours) for all your faults?

Which dealership is this?
Jono

Post by Jono »

Yes, they said there are known issues when it’s plugged in for over 8 hours.

The vehicle low speed sound fault

The drive unit fault

No idea what’s caused the latest fault - really frustrating as it’s blocking 1/4 the screen
Narked@50

Post by Narked@50 »

I am considering changing my MK7 golf later in the year and thought the ID 3 would be a good way forward. With all the error/software bugs being reported, i am starting to become concerned i could be buying a £30k, white elephant ?

/
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Narked@50 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:37 pm I am considering changing my MK7 golf later in the year and thought the ID 3 would be a good way forward. With all the error/software bugs being reported, i am starting to become concerned i could be buying a £30k, white elephant ?

The software has come a long way in a shorter time - from the 0564 version that initial cars were shipped with to the 0783 (also known as 2.0) version that’s been available since mid-December. I’ve had more than 20 issues/quirks resolved since I got mine, there are now just 8 items left on my list.

The 2.1 software which is just starting to rollout is the version that VW always intended to be on the car from the start.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

What charger have you got?
Mine sits every night on 3-phase reduced 7,x kW (could use 11 kW, but lower kW usually means longer battery life).
Departure times set to morning leaving time and since now happy.
I don't believe, that connection makes any bad, even, if charging all the time.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
crobinson

Post by crobinson »

Same issue here, it goes away if I turn the car off and on again it’s annoying as I’ve only had it back from the dealer a few days.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the 2.1 update.

I charge the car using an official 3pin charger into a mains socket (currently waiting for an EO mini charger to be fitted).

Clearly once it hits 8 hours it tiggers something in the code which causes the issues.
Jono

Post by Jono »

Interestingly the error appeared mid drive on mine yesterday. I hadn’t charged for more than 8 hours and it wasn’t showing when I started the journey
Zoobz32

Post by Zoobz32 »

We have had this a number of times, but when we pull up, the car is stuck in Drive and won’t engage Reverse or Park. It once got stuck in Park. Had to call roadside assist. Has anyone else had this issue.
GarethOates

Post by GarethOates »

I’ve had this error show up twice now with the latest 2.1 software installed. I’ve left it charging once for over 8 hours but the error showed up a couple of days later.

A turn off and on again has fixed it the two times it’s happened for me, but I’m obviously not very happy about it.

Those who’ve taken their car to the workshop, what do they do?
irishlore

Post by irishlore »

Hello. I bought the id3 back in October. I've had the drive error a few times at this point with the times In-between getting longer and longer before the car goes back into drive etc, the last one been around 40 minutes. They've had the car 3 weeks with the error log having to be sent to Germany to see how to fix it. It failed the software update as well🤣. Wondering at this stage will I ask for my money back or a replacement car 🤠
Matoow

Post by Matoow »

Same drive issue here. We've seen it 3 times once before the 2.1 update, now twice after.

Yesterday, after driving kids to school it got stuck in the middle of the road and refused to move whilst turning the car around. We had to leave it there for 15 mins until it agreed to start.

It's now with the dealer, who apparently has agreed to look at it within 48 hours.

I'll update with what the dealer says, be interested to hear if anyone has had any dealer feedback with similar issues??

Our experience is it's unrelated to charge time..

Thanks,

Matt
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I tend to agree with stu-evs. I will probably regret saying this but I have not had this fault and my car is often plugged in charging for more than 8 hours and often beyond 8 hours after reaching its charge setting. Does anyone know if this fault and others we see in these threads correlate with specific trim levels? If various modules change with trim level maybe it would explain why some owners have more issues than others.
My faults since Dec delivery.
My plug locked into a public charger once.
Infotainment screen froze a few times on old SW.
Had to push brake pedal hard twice to turn car on. Normally requires just a touch.
Its a pro life and covered 2,200 miles.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

Just posted under a linked thread that my 1st Edition is going in tomorrow after several no-gear tantrums. Got going quite quickly I have to say but amber warning has told me to take it to the workshop. Loads about this issue on EU ID3 Owners page/site.
Brewsch

Post by Brewsch »

Had this issue today for the first time on my one month old ID3. Got stuck halfway through a manoeuvre in a car park with the car stuck in park mode for about 20 mins. Called roadside assistance but then eventually the car came back to life after maybe the sixth or seventh time turning it off and on again so didn’t need assistance in the end.

I don’t have a wall box yet so I have only charged it at public rapid chargers for 1h at a time. So this issue is not necessarily related to charging over long periods.

Will wait to see if it happens again…
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

VW garage couldn’t find any faults with my drive system. I’ve had the fault three times since yesterday! Something is definitely wrong - the emergency brake assist white light remains on when this happens, with the same amber warning up by the SOS pod. Anyone else?
TFP

Post by TFP »

My ID3 broke down with error in drive system, it flashed red across car dashboard and then stopped within 10 metres, luckily had just come off a dual carriageway. Still in the garage, software update didn't sort it out. I'm worried that this could happen on a 70mph road and stop as suddenly, seems a major safety issue! Do all electric cars stop so suddenly when they breakdown?