new to id3 owner

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
jdm700

Post by jdm700 »

hi all we picked our id3 up yesterday great drive from hull to leeds,Well today i was in kitchen cooking food the car keys in the draw both of them, and i seen a bright light outside it was the headlights on the car came on by them selfs no one in garden just me in kitchen cooking both keys in draw is there some sort of setting that needs turning off or something a bit confused to why that happened

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I see you’ve had numerous replies on the UK group on Facebook.

Check the manual for the settings on welcome lights, although you should stop your keys talking to the car when not needed.
digital

Post by digital »

This happens on our Family when the keys are moved. Leave them to settle down and the light show should stop.
ID3 Family, Scale Silver, East Derry alloys.

Go to https://share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to split £100 cashback with me from Octopus Energy.
aliced

Post by aliced »

jdm700 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:20 pm hi all we picked our id3 up yesterday great drive from hull to leeds,Well today i was in kitchen making coffee the car keys in the draw both of them, and i seen a bright light outside it was the headlights on the car came on by them selfs no one in garden just me in kitchen cooking both keys in draw is there some sort of setting that needs turning off or something a bit confused to why that happened
Same here! How irritating
B737

Post by B737 »

I think it is do with the proximity of the Key fob to the car. We had the same situation where our keys hang by our front door and the ID.3 is parked in our drive way at a distance of less than 4 meters away. The car keeps sensing the proximity of the key as indicated by the continuous red blinking lights on the key fob and the car headlights momentarily come on. It is part of the welcome to the vehicle feature.

As an experiment, we placed the keys well away from the front door and the car and both the red blinking light on the fob and the car headlights stopped. We now place our keys inside an RFID pouch by the front door - it stops this nuisance and also protects thieves from hacking into the fob to access the car since the pouch blocks all RFID signals. It works really well as well as provide protection (costs less than £10 on Amazon).
VW ID.3 Max Pro Performance - Manganese Grey
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Pop them in a pouch to block the signal or just stop moving them so they go to sleep.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Fact check : the ID.3’s keyless system is UWB based, not RFID based.

This means that hackers cannot hack communication between the keyfob and your car regardless of being in the pouch or not. The pouch is a good solution to prevent close proximity issues though!
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Mark S

Post by Mark S »

The welcome lights do seem to be overly sensitive though as even with the keys sitting on a flat surface where they should be guaranteed to go to sleep the welcome lights still trigger several times during the night (activating our security cameras hence why I know as I was asleep in bed at the time). Rather annoying if we have to remember to put the keys in a "security" pouch to stop this.