Wifi connection

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I can see a number of threads about wifi and being unable to connect to home networks. I tried to connect this morning and the car found my extender no problem but received a security not suitable message. The main Sky hub is deeper in the house and strength where I park too weak. It did however once pick it up and had the chance to enter my password but lost the signal before connection.
Im now on 2.1 and presume updates will need a wifi connection?
Is there likely any setting fix for the extender?
Could I use my mobile as a hot spot wifi and does that then use mobile data even if Im connected to my home network.?
Other than updates is there any benefit in being connected to my home network?
These are areas of knowledge that Im way behind with!
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

Daveion wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:17 pm I can see a number of threads about wifi and being unable to connect to home networks. I tried to connect this morning and the car found my extender no problem but received a security not suitable message. The main Sky hub is deeper in the house and strength where I park too weak. It did however once pick it up and had the chance to enter my password but lost the signal before connection.
Im now on 2.1 and presume updates will need a wifi connection?
Is there likely any setting fix for the extender?
Could I use my mobile as a hot spot wifi and does that then use mobile data even if Im connected to my home network.?
Other than updates is there any benefit in being connected to my home network?
These are areas of knowledge that Im way behind with!
Dave
From what I have read the wifi network has to support WPA2.

Its unclear that updates will require wifi, they ought to work over 4G too.

You can use your mobile as a hot spot, but that usually uses the data connection from the phone (at least on iOS).
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

My Ubiquiti router is on WPA2 and doesn't connect. An older and less intelligent router upstairs is WPA2 and the car does connect. And it always connects to my phone. It's a bit of a mystery to me, I'll explore more when (if) I get my car back.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Sounds similar to my issue. I was also getting a message about incompatible security settings (using WPA2). Since having the 2.1 update the car connected fine. However the following day it can't even see my network but is picking up everyone else's. I have parked in a different spot on the drive and to be honest can't see why I need the connection anyway so I have not moved the car to investigate further.
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

I have a Ubiquiti external access point near my ID.3 and it is set to WPA Personal, WPA2 Only with AES/CCMP Only encryption. It is broadcasting on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I was able to connect my ID.3 on v2.0 software without any difficulty. I won't know whether v2.1 will connect just a easily until it comes back from the dealer. I believe the car needs quite a strong wifi signal before it will connect. This would makes sense when it starts doing OTA updates – you wouldn't want a flakey wifi connection.
Deleted User 314

hwhbev wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:23 pm I have a Ubiquiti external access point near my ID.3 and it is set to WPA Personal, WPA2 Only with AES/CCMP Only encryption. It is broadcasting on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I was able to connect my ID.3 on v2.0 software without any difficulty. I won't know whether v2.1 will connect just a easily until it comes back from the dealer. I believe the car needs quite a strong wifi signal before it will connect. This would makes sense when it starts doing OTA updates – you wouldn't want a flakey wifi connection.
Once the car is back I’ll verify these settings. The UFO is about 3 metres from the car, signal isn’t a problem.
Spongebob

Post by Spongebob »

@G43FAN sorry to hijack this thread. Just took delivery of the id3 yday. Moonstone grey with basic alloys. Looking to get the east Derry alloys. Do you have any pics of yours, please?
I see if I can connect to my home WiFi and will come back with something more on point:)
Family | Moonstone Grey | 0792 |Stock wheels
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Any help? Wife's car was in the way, may try and get a better pic later as it's nice and sunny. Needs a clean too.

ID3.PNG

gwr

Post by gwr »

I understand that it's possible to connect the car to a fixed wifi point but what is the point of doing so? I can see a possible use the other way round (car as wifi server) but maybe I've missed something. Ideas welcome.
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

gwr wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:28 pm I understand that it's possible to connect the car to a fixed wifi point but what is the point of doing so? I can see a possible use the other way round (car as wifi server) but maybe I've missed something. Ideas welcome.
Main one is if you have a poor or non-existent 4G signal - keep in contact with car through WiFi.
More reliable / faster update download compared to 4G.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

simonrg wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:34 pm Main one is if you have a poor or non-existent 4G signal - keep in contact with car through WiFi.

From what I've read elsewhere it doesn't work like that - the app <> car communications still go through the eSIM (via VW servers) and not wifi.
Deleted User 314

simonrg wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:34 pm
gwr wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:28 pm I understand that it's possible to connect the car to a fixed wifi point but what is the point of doing so? I can see a possible use the other way round (car as wifi server) but maybe I've missed something. Ideas welcome.
Main one is if you have a poor or non-existent 4G signal - keep in contact with car through WiFi.
More reliable / faster update download compared to 4G.
Exactly, this is my use case. We have no mobile signal where we live. Plus the OTA element.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:57 pm
simonrg wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:34 pm Main one is if you have a poor or non-existent 4G signal - keep in contact with car through WiFi.
From what I've read elsewhere it doesn't work like that - the app <> car communications still go through the eSIM (via VW servers) and not wifi.
Do you have a reference for that?
If the case then agreed can't see much point.
Does anybody have no 4G but can still the car by WiFi?
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Deleted User 314

I’ll test when our car comes back. Might be a few weeks 😀
Spongebob

Post by Spongebob »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:43 am Any help? Wife's car was in the way, may try and get a better pic later as it's nice and sunny. Needs a clean too.
Looks great. Will order a set. Happy motoring...or the equivalent EV term:)
Family | Moonstone Grey | 0792 |Stock wheels
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

simonrg wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:43 pm Do you have a reference for that?
If the case then agreed can't see much point.
Does anybody have no 4G but can still the car by WiFi?

A guy who had his car on his WiFi and scanned the network traffic going to and from the car to see what it was doing, there was nothing app-related. He also discovered that the car goes to sleep (ie. drops off his WiFi network) after a short period of time, which is no use for car <> app communications that you could want at any time.

I can’t remember where I read it.

I think it’s more likely that WiFi will be used for OTA.
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

scott28tt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:08 pm A guy who had his car on his WiFi and scanned the network traffic going to and from the car to see what it was doing, there was nothing app-related. He also discovered that the car goes to sleep (ie. drops off his WiFi network) after a short period of time, which is no use for car <> app communications that you could want at any time.

I can’t remember where I read it.

I think it’s more likely that WiFi will be used for OTA.
I concur. Mine dropped off the wifi when I locked the car (or very soon afterwards). But that's not to say it doesn't wake up periodically and call home. I'll check my firewall-router logs after I get it back from the dealer following the protracted 2.1 update / control unit failure.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I wish I understood this whole business better.
Does anyone have a link handy so I can expand my knowledge regarding how 4G is utilized in the car and software interface? Do we have unlimited mobile data on our eSim? Is there a point in time when we will need to pay for data?
I looked around the net earlier in the week and was offered a 2G data free trial that I thought was via a VW link but decided to reseach it more hear first.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
luckypants

Post by luckypants »

Hello guys, new to this forum. I have an ID.4 that does not connect to 4G at my house. I found this thread via Google.

Did you manage to resolve the missing 3G/4G connection on your car? If so, how was this done?
VW ID.4 Honey Yellow
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

luckypants wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:35 pm Hello guys, new to this forum. I have an ID.4 that does not connect to 4G at my house. I found this thread via Google.

Did you manage to resolve the missing 3G/4G connection on your car? If so, how was this done?
Does it connect elsewhere, and the problem is only at your home?

Have you installed the We Connect ID app on your phone and configured it to connect to your car? Does it connect okay?

Have you tried connecting the car to your home WiFi network?

If your car shows it has a 3G or 4G signal when away from your home, but no signal at your home, then it must be that the cellular signal that your car is using is too weak at your home location. VW partners with Cubic Telecom, who in turn piggyback in the UK on the EE network. If your home location has a strong EE signal then so should your car.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot