Should I Take The Plunge?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

DorsetDC wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:48 pm Two questions arise, what’s the achievable range of the 58kWh model (quoted 248 miles) in the real world and living in Dorset our charging points are few (only 4 in my home town) and often used by holidaymakers so have any of you installed your own chargers and which one do you favour?

Depends on factors such as lots of short journeys or a smaller number of of longer ones, you should get no less than 160 miles in winter and 220 miles in summer - hopefully plenty more.

I have my own point at home - it's just so convenient to top up whenever you need to. Mine is a Pod Point Solo, it's probably the most common - it works well with the car and has it's own scheduling so you don't have to set anything up on the car.

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

DorsetDC wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:48 pm Thank you all for taking the time to reply, still leaning to going down the ID-3 route. I’ve tickets for the Goodwood Festival of Speed on Thursday where there’s an Electric Avenue so it will be interesting to look at some other manufacturers although I still favour VW. Two questions arise, what’s the achievable range of the 58kWh model (quoted 248 miles) in the real world and living in Dorset our charging points are few (only 4 in my home town) and often used by holidaymakers so have any of you installed your own chargers and which one do you favour?

I find EV Database hugely useful for these kinds of questions and you might too. If you look at the details of each battery/motor type you're interested in, you'll find they've calculated a "more real" range estimate for a range of driving styles and temperatures, saving you from doing all the Watt/Hour calculations yourself.

I found this hugely helpful in informing my "worst case" range requirements in the depths of winter. I'm not affiliated in any way with them, just a regular user of that website!
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Jamh2000

Post by Jamh2000 »

The only niggle for me is the sheer unreliability of public chargers. You have to plan ahead with 3 options for a recharge in my experience because there is every chance your option 1 will be broken (even if zapmap suggests otherwise) and option 2 will be in use. Motorway services usually have 2 battered ecotricity chargers only, so chances a working one will have a CCS and not be in use are not great. Hoping to get a home charger soon!
ID.3 Life Pro, Manganese Grey
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

DorsetDC wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:21 pm I have been a very happy owner of a Golf R for the last 5 years and before that two GTIs for a similar time and am now looking for a replacement. Another R? as I still love driving but I’ve now reached the grand old age of 70 so the excitement of power is no longer top of the list. Yesterday went to my local VW dealer and test drove a Max ID.3 and I was very surprised with the instant response of the engine, the handling on our less than wide and potholed Dorset roads, and the ride which is much better than the R, the only downside was the silence which meant I could hear every word my wife was saying and had to respond accordingly 😀. I am now pondering what to do, if I go for the ID3 I would go for the Tour as I need the extra range to go to London and back without a charge, as I am still working as a (quite nice) estate agent and we have recently had applicants coming down from London and the Home Counties in their EVs who arrive at the Service Stations only to find the charging stations already occupied. I know this is a rather stupid question to ask on the ID.3 forum but if you were in my position, what would you choose, I must admit I am leaning towards the ID.3 which surprises me.
As someone who's had a strong of performance VWs, including a 2015 Manual Golf R.in Lapiz Blue, with Pretoria wheels, I don't really miss petrol.power. I loved my Golf.R, but unless.you were wringing its neck above 5k revs, it didn't feel particularly quick (except off the line) - the price you pay for refinement and comfort on a modern car. Although it definitely is, the 204ps ID3 doesn't feel much slower with that immediate pickup of torque that an EV has, and like the R - no tramping (unlike my string of VW performance diesels and 2 Polo GTIs).

The press and any of the YouTube amateur reviewers have given it a rushed overview, claiming its been built on the cheap vs the likes of the Golf. I had the opportunity to do a good comparison last week when I had a courtesy e-Golf for a week. When you look closely,only the top 4" of the Golf's door card is the soft, rubbery plastic, therest of itis quite hard. The ID3's door card is marginally harder for the top half, and a little less gard for the bottom half. That doesn't really matter unless you like stroking plastic anyway. Other small details like door seals etc are better on the ID3. The reviewers seem to equate a lack of buttons to cost cutting, but everyone's going that way, the MK8 Golf has the same treatment. Minimalist doesn't necessarily scream cost cutting. The Golf GTD/GTI/R sports seats look better for sure, but theID3 isn't declaring itself a hot hatch, even though it's quicker than a GTD.

The ID3 handles very well as an 1800kg lump, with its very low centre of gravity, it handles much better than the e-Golf.

I liked the ID3 so much, we chopped in our 2019 Polo GTI and bought a second one. When you're charging at home it's costing about 1.5p a mile on Octopus GO tariff. It will be more like 10p a mile on most 50kWh chargers out and about though.

Realistically in the Summer, 100-5% charge will get you about 210 motorway miles or about 240 miles around the doors (30-50mph).
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

Had a longer test drive on Friday and drove up the country roads from Dorchester to Sherborne and back. The car is perfect , the ride is so comfortable compared to the R, the acceleration and handling on a par with a GTI, and the overall driving experience with the lack of sound exceptional BUT and this is the deciding factor, I don’t think I can come to terms with the infotainment system. I was constantly looking away from the road to adjust the temperature and the radio, tried to do it with the microphone but it didn’t understand my commands, and most infuriating I kept inadvertently touching the buttons on the steering wheel which implemented commands I didn’t want. This has now led me to thinking I will stick with my R and wait hopefully for a Mk 2 ID.3 to come out with a better dash🤞
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Having changed from a vehicle with NO electronic aids or features, I just love the ID3 experience. Yes, I suffered from the attraction of the screen for a while, but once the music is going I pretty well ignore it now. Keep your thumbs inside the steering wheel and you’ll be OK.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yeah - the Haptic buttons are different - I really like the volume slider - mute is a simple slide to the left. Havigg by the hazards as a touch button is a bit daft though!
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

It was the hardest thing for me to adapt to, but after a week or so it’s really slick.

The hazard button is my only annoyance but one you get the voice control sussed when internet connected then it’s great.
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

After a week of contemplation I have still not ruled out purchasing an ID.3, is it too early to ask if anyone been able to download the new software update for the Infotainment system and has it made any difference?
Deleted User 192

DorsetDC wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:37 pm After a week of contemplation I have still not ruled out purchasing an ID.3, is it too early to ask if anyone been able to download the new software update for the Infotainment system and has it made any difference?

Yes, it's too early - I've not yet heard or read of anyone who has it.

There are a small group of customers (invitation only) who will get the 2 upcoming updates first, that was due to start this week but it doesn't seem to have happened yet.
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

You'd expect that they could easily change the gesture for the hazard button to be a long press or something.

That's the big plus side to this tech - it makes it possible to be far more flexible, and allows the car to be improved via software
yummymummy11

Post by yummymummy11 »

DorsetDC wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:48 pm Thank you all for taking the time to reply, still leaning to going down the ID-3 route. I’ve tickets for the Goodwood Festival of Speed on Thursday where there’s an Electric Avenue so it will be interesting to look at some other manufacturers although I still favour VW. Two questions arise, what’s the achievable range of the 58kWh model (quoted 248 miles) in the real world and living in Dorset our charging points are few (only 4 in my home town) and often used by holidaymakers so have any of you installed your own chargers and which one do you favour?
I have the 58kW been a VW driver for the last 30 years having had Polo’s and 3 Golfs still have my GTD which I loved, however I’ve had my ID.3 just over 8 weeks now and I absolutely love it! It’s a completely different way of driving so relaxing! I have a 70 mile commute 3 times per week for work, charged to 80% I get 180-200 miles of realistic range (it’s been summer driving so far) it might be a different story in the winter up here in the north east of Scotland!

It’s a completely different way of driving and it’s normal to have some ‘range anxiety’. Might be an idea to download the zap map app and keep and eye on the public chargers you might want to use and see how busy they are at the times of day you’d be looking to use them? I hardly ever use public chargers now that I have my home one installed, preferring to charge at home two or three times a weeks.

My next challenge is to do the NC500 purely in my EV, just home from a break in the north of Scotland (in my husbands Audi) and there were chargers everywhere 😊
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

I think I am going to Take The Plunge and have been looking at the demo cars available. Have dismissed the Tour as it only has two seats and seatbelts in the back so won’t accommodate school run to pick up grandchildren. Have seen a 2021 Tech Pro Performance which I like but this model doesn’t appear in the VW Configurator, is it a Max? Also does the panorama roof have a roof cover?
Deleted User 192

Tech isn’t a spec you can order any more, this older guide lists the equipment: https://www.phillipsvolkswagen.co.uk/ne ... 4Nov20.pdf

It was a lower spec than Max, the guide above will give you the details on the difference.

Here’s the current version of the guide: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live ... t-p11d.pdf

The pano roof does have a cover, I don’t have one so can’t tell you anything specific about it, I just know it has one.
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

Thanks for your prompt reply, as it doesn't have heated seats the Tech will be a no no for the wife. I will keep searching.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

DorsetDC wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:24 am I think I am going to Take The Plunge and have been looking at the demo cars available. Have dismissed the Tour as it only has two seats and seatbelts in the back so won’t accommodate school run to pick up grandchildren. Have seen a 2021 Tech Pro Performance which I like but this model doesn’t appear in the VW Configurator, is it a Max? Also does the panorama roof have a roof cover?
The panoramic roof has an electrically retractable cloth cover on the inside that recesses into the roof lining.

I thought all ID3s had heated seats and steering wheel.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
jhg

Post by jhg »

I have a 2021 Tech Pro Performance. I chose it for other features, in particular the travel assist and the HUD. I was a bit concerned that the panoramic roof might make the car too hot inside during the summer months. However, it hasn't been a problem during the hot weather of the last few days.

In the latest brochure the panoramic roof is described as sliding/tilting, whereas the 2021 version cannot be opened.
ID.3 Tech Pro Perf, Glacier White, May 2021
Wallbox Pulsar Plus
DorsetDC

Post by DorsetDC »

Decision time, I’ve decided to go with a Max 58kWh Pro Performance in Manganese Grey and Andoya wheels as it has the adaptive suspension which I had on my last GTI and I am hoping I will be able to find a demo car as I don’t want to wait for a new one as the delivery time seems too long. It’s now down to the dealers to find me one, but Murphy’s Law says there are hardly any available 🤞
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

DorsetDC wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:25 pm Decision time, I’ve decided to go with a Max 58kWh Pro Performance in Manganese Grey and Andoya wheels as it has the adaptive suspension which I had on my last GTI and I am hoping I will be able to find a demo car as I don’t want to wait for a new one as the delivery time seems too long. It’s now down to the dealers to find me one, but Murphy’s Law says there are hardly any available 🤞
Waiting is very much about money, too. Or not waiting, that is.

If you get new, you tend to be able to get a few thousand knocked off (nearly £6k, in my case), whereas I've not seen pre-reg/demo/used at anything less than list really. If you paid by PCP, you also pay double interest on one, too.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

5/6 weeks ago when I was about to buy one there were 200+ in Autotrader. Mainly new /in stock being advertised and a few nearly new. Yesterday 30.