Data Volume Used Up

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Got this notification earlier and not sure why?
I did subscribe to a free trial via the app, Cubictelecom, but until recently it showed 1Gb unused data. Data seems expensive versus my phone so not sure I even need it.
Will it stop me getting OTA updates?
Everything in the car is still working as normal!
Phone is still connected to car wifi!
Not my strongest subject so any advice would be apppreciated.
Dave

20210714_120844.jpg

1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

ThinWhiteDuke

Post by ThinWhiteDuke »

Don't panic.

The data you buy from Cubic allows you to use the 4G Mobile Data in built for other devices. The 4G in your car is otherwise exclusively used by the car for traffic updates and other OTA upgrades to the car's software.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance 58Kwh; Scale Silver
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Thats a relief.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

The only current in-car function that the data plan is used by is internet radio.

The only other reason is if you want to use your car as a hotspot for wifi-only devices (such as my iPad).

You definitely do not need a data plan for OTA updates, for voice control, for the in-car nav, or any other functions to operate correctly.
sclrkuk

Post by sclrkuk »

Any idea how to get rid of the persistent notification that data has been used up? I only signed up to the free trial to get rid of the internet radio notification. Now I have this one instead.
VW ID.3 Life
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

sclrkuk wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:06 pm Any idea how to get rid of the persistent notification that data has been used up? I only signed up to the free trial to get rid of the internet radio notification. Now I have this one instead.
Same here 😂
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
MartyB

Post by MartyB »

Same here. I have been in touch with Cubic telecom who say it’s not their problem, try VW. Got nowhere so emailed VW UKs Executive office. Got nowhere. The only suggestion is to log vehicle out of WeConnect and set everything up again. Anyone think this is a good idea? No idea what effect that will have on my vehicle’s set up and it’s position in the queue for the 2.3 OTA update. Or if my vehicle will disappear from VWs radar altogether.
Views anyone?
ID.3 Pro Performance Family Moonstone
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

I subscribed to the Cubic data plan for a few Gig in case there was anything useful. (So far no)

But what is interesting is that each and every trip uses data, a couple of Mb up to 60/70 Mb on a trip.

I do not use Internet radio so I am wondering if the car polls VW and the order of connectivity is Cubic first then Car second.

Can anyone suggest an idea how to check out the hypothesis?
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

That's interesting. I registered with cubic for the free option when I got the car, my data usage history shows zero even after two minor updates. I've recently unregistered the car from cubic and all seems fine with We Connect alone.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Deleted User 314

A genuine mystery, here's from the last week:

Untitled.png

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

That 1:53am 5Mb entry, I'm assuming you were tucked up in bed at the time ? That seems properly strange.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Deleted User 314

Exactly.
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

That data usage is odd. The car can be used as a hub which will use cubic data. Could an external device be connected to it?
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Deleted User 314

I did suspect this but some of the timings of data usage tell me something else is going on.

In the early months there was a huge 800Mb download which a few weeks later disappeared from the report and usage log.

I think I’ll do some concrete testing, my curiosity is piqued.