Lane assist

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

At first I used to fight lane assist, but now I go with it and find it quite helpful

Some things I do:
1. Always signal when changing lane, this switches its lane warnings off temporarily
2. Less enthusiastic on fast cornering if impediments in road (e.g. road works)
3. Extra careful if road narrows alot
4. Hold wheel with both hands or very firmly with one, when going on motorways, and generally over 30

A few times i have drifted out of lane and its slight nudge to get back into the lane has actually been quite helpful

The car has slammed on emergency braking for me once. I reverse very fast onto my driveway, and I know when to stop a few inches from the garage door :) The car took offense to this and slammed on the brakes, so I go in slower now ....

I do often get the red "obstacle ahead warning" , but this is unavoidable sometimes in congested town driving

No doubt it will be improved with software updates, but I can say now its on balance a positive of the car
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674

duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Agree with the comment on roadworks - the system can get confused.
I have found the 'push back' less intrusive than others. The Renault Megan the ID3 replaced was much more stronger.
The VW ID3 is not so different than other cars, but I agree some of those cars have an option to disable / activate the 'lane assist' mode. It however tends to be a pain, because tend to buried in a sub-menu.

However for general use - using the 'mirror SIGNAL manoeuvre' that is the base of the Highway Code, solves the problem.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
Sephiro

Post by Sephiro »

The system can certainly get confused as in my short ownership it's already tried to steer me into a head on collision when a car on the opposite side of the road cut the corner in front of me so I turned in towards the kerb and lane assist then tried to push me back to where I was. Fortunately I had a good grip on the wheel so it failed, however if people are going to end up in court for switching it off then I'd imagine VW will be having a bad day in court when it causes a collision when the driver is trying to avoid one.
TimF

Post by TimF »

While the system may improve safety on some roads, on others it degrades it (IMO). To give just one example, some country roads near me are through woods where the soil is chalky. That means the banks at the side of the road are speckled with white. LA spots this and thinks its a gutter marking (LA detects that, NOT nearside kerb - it isn't that clever). So it tries to steer the car midway between the speckled part of the bank and the middle of the road, which can take the nearside wheels right to the edge of the gutter. I suspect something similar could happen where there's a lot of litter in a hedge. Or snowdrops?