Bumper and boot protection

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Our ID.3 will come with the VW accessory mats and boot liner a but the bumper protector is on back order and won’t be on it when we collect in a couple of weeks. We have 2 scruffy springer spaniels who will inhabit the boot and hop in and out of it quite frequently, sometimes it’s a scramble all over the bumper to make the jump and the ID.3 has a slightly higher rear lip than our current car.

The VW boot liner and the top of bumper protector are fine but really only a partial solution, our outgoing V40 has a Volvo accessory fitted liner that attached up the sides and back of the boot, so what I’m looking for now is a similar type of liner (I realise this will be non-VW) with integrated bumper protection (e.g. the flip out type that also helps with paws grip).

I see plenty of these sorts of things online, but just wondered if anybody had got such a thing sorted for their ID.3 that fits and works well? Thanks, first post :)
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Forget about the top of the bumper protection if it's literally a hard wearing clear sticker, it covers most of the top, but not the sloping edge. The edges of it will pick up muck over time soo, so it'll look grubby. I got a boot buddy cloth overhang bumper protector that velcro under the load liner (get the semi rigid rather than flexible load liner).

The towel is covering top of rear bench and head rests so our Labrador doesn't drool all over them when she rests her head there. Will get a smaller towel to do the job for a better fit but basically the towel clamps into the front edge of the head rests and loops back over. Less handy if you have adults in the back rather than child seats.

Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

There is an ID.3 one that's they list?

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

That's more for having the back seats down and it's a lot to roll up when you haven't got the back seats down. With my set up the load liner is always in place and you've a small amount of cloth overhang to tuck away when not deployed.

Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Great info, @monkeyhanger, you wouldn’t have a link or could let me know where you got the boot buddy could you?
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

This fits the ID.3 really well, with the lower boot floor position: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Oooh, interesting, we plan to use the higher boot floor position, I guess that affects the fit quite a bit
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Slightly Off topic - but I got a boot lip clear film protection kit from ebay for £17 I think - and its worked a treat. Can barely see it.. (I only left one bubble where it goes over the edge.. grr..).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:52 pm Slightly Off topic - but I got a boot lip clear film protection kit from ebay for £17 I think - and its worked a treat. Can barely see it.. (I only left one bubble where it goes over the edge.. grr..).
How long has it been on? Over time I expect that the edges (the thickness/cross section) will get dirt adhered to it, and that's what put me off going down that route. It happens with VW OEM films.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Leccy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:08 pm Great info, @monkeyhanger, you wouldn’t have a link or could let me know where you got the boot buddy could you?
I got it from BootBuddy's own website, They don't have an ID3 one officially, So I got the one for the T-Roc - same boot opening width.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:54 pm
MotMot wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:52 pm Slightly Off topic - but I got a boot lip clear film protection kit from ebay for £17 I think - and its worked a treat. Can barely see it.. (I only left one bubble where it goes over the edge.. grr..).
How long has it been on? Over time I expect that the edges (the thickness/cross section) will get dirt adhered to it, and that's what put me off going down that route. It happens with VW OEM films.
18 hours now :D

We'll see. If its crap it can always be peeled off. I've wasted £20 on far less useful things :)
I always end up scratching that lip putting stuff in and out - and I always notice scratches there (unlike on door sills) so figured it was worth a try.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:56 pm
Leccy wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:08 pm Great info, @monkeyhanger, you wouldn’t have a link or could let me know where you got the boot buddy could you?
I got it from BootBuddy's own website, They don't have an ID3 one officially, So I got the one for the T-Roc - same boot opening width.
Great, thanks
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:19 pm This fits the ID.3 really well, with the lower boot floor position: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
I'm tempted to get one of those. Looks better than my solution.

Deleted User 192

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:15 pm
scott28tt wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:19 pm This fits the ID.3 really well, with the lower boot floor position: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
I'm tempted to get one of those. Looks better than my solution.

It has 4 velcro strips down either side which hold it nicely in place on the carpeted boot sides, I don't have the VW floor liner so this was ideal for my needs.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

We just fitted the Toozey boot liner recommended by @scott28tt. Pleased with it, fits very well, we have the raised floor and have sat the ID.3 boot mat on top this liner. Seems well made and looks good. Great recommendation, thanks 👍
davyk31

Post by davyk31 »

Is the Toozey liner easy to fit and remove? I’m thinking of just putting it in when the dog is going in the car which is maybe just once a week or so

On another note Boot Buddy now have their liners available for the ID.3 with different models depending on boot floor position.

I’m deciding between these two options.
davyk31

Post by davyk31 »

There is 15% off the Toozy liner with Amazon which seems to end today. Means it’s less than £29
So I have ordered one to see what it’s like. Boot Buddy are over £100 so it’s worth a try and can easily be sent back to Amazon if it’s no good.
Deleted User 192

davyk31 wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:03 pm Is the Toozey liner easy to fit and remove?

Takes a few minutes to remove or pop back in, I just leave it in even though the dog is only in the car maybe once every 10 days, the Velcro strips on the side panels might pull at the carpet if it was taken out all of the time.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Yeah, the beauty of Amazon. It ought to be ok at being taken in and out given its secured by Velcro strips on the sides and straps with clips on the headrests. It took us a bit of time to get the fit as neat as possible (at first glance you’d think it was made for the car), but we don’t plan to take it out much. I wouldn’t be overly confident that the Velcro strips would stay stuck to the interior plastic if they’re being used often, the one specific to our old car had metal press studs. Well worth a try though.
Deleted User 192

Leccy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:29 pm Yeah, the beauty of Amazon. It ought to be ok at being taken in and out given its secured by Velcro strips on the sides and straps with clips on the headrests. It took us a bit of time to get the fit as neat as possible (at first glance you’d think it was made for the car), but we don’t plan to take it out much. I wouldn’t be overly confident that the Velcro strips would stay stuck to the interior plastic if they’re being used often, the one specific to our old car had metal press studs. Well worth a try though.

With the lower boot position, the Velcro strips on the outside of the liner go directly onto the carpet walls of the boot - no need to stick the self-adhesive bits of Velcro supplied with the liner onto the plastics.