First test drive

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Yossa

Post by Yossa »

What I learned with B is that you can adjust throttle lift to regulate the breaking: if you just completely lift you find yourself breaking too hard but if you lift just a little it starts with a little breaking that can become more intense as you release the accelerator more. I find it extremely comfortable especially at roundabouts or intersections

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I'm fairly sure that on B the brakes are never applied (unless you press the brake pedal obvs :) ) - its just regen braking when you lift off.

Anyway - D is fine, but its B for me!
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Anyway, the whole point of this thread was to help someone who was considering buying one. And yet even though I asked multiple times where their journeys were going to be from/to they won't tell me, so I can't tell them.if there are any rapid chargers on the route. If you fancy telling me at some point, drop me a message. Very odd complaining about range anxiety when it probably isn't even and issue and then ignoring help.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

CarterHounslow wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:25 am Anyway, the whole point of this thread was to help someone who was considering buying one. And yet even though I asked multiple times where their journeys were going to be from/to they won't tell me, so I can't tell them.if there are any rapid chargers on the route. If you fancy telling me at some point, drop me a message. Very odd complaining about range anxiety when it probably isn't even and issue and then ignoring help.
I am not ignoring you - I am busy with other stuff. Perhaps I wasn't very clear. What I was trying to say, was that one of our non-typical trips will involve a charge top up. If we equate this to using an ICE, it is still an issue with EVs that one has to locate a charger in advance and hope it's working. At this time fossil fuel garages are everywhere and they work. Don't get me wrong, I really want an EV. I am trying to justify it to myself, without having to have an ICE as back up. Where I am going to and from is irrelevant. It's just a journey. Thank you for wanting to help. On this subject of locating chargers, how many apps and subscriptions are actually needed to drive these longer distances?
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Scratch wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:50 am
CarterHounslow wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:25 am Anyway, the whole point of this thread was to help someone who was considering buying one. And yet even though I asked multiple times where their journeys were going to be from/to they won't tell me, so I can't tell them.if there are any rapid chargers on the route. If you fancy telling me at some point, drop me a message. Very odd complaining about range anxiety when it probably isn't even and issue and then ignoring help.
I am not ignoring you - I am busy with other stuff. Perhaps I wasn't very clear. What I was trying to say, was that one of our non-typical trips will involve a charge top up. If we equate this to using an ICE, it is still an issue with EVs that one has to locate a charger in advance and hope it's working. At this time fossil fuel garages are everywhere and they work. Don't get me wrong, I really want an EV. I am trying to justify it to myself, without having to have an ICE as back up. Where I am going to and from is irrelevant. It's just a journey. Thank you for wanting to help. On this subject of locating chargers, how many apps and subscriptions are actually needed to drive these longer distances?
For longer distances I use zap-map to get an idea of the chargers on the way. i will tend to select one or two options for a stop

I then go to the website of the charger company to confirm the location

although most of the charger providers take PAYG, sometimes this is excessively expensive, e.g.
1. sourcelondon - dont think about it without a subs. The cheapest subs is a £10 one off. Subs take 5 days to register and they send you a key card. Includes parking with payment, so good for central london parking.
2. bp pulse. PAYG ok occasionally. subs is expensive and not worth it unless you are charging with them at least 2 times a month

If you journeys are mostly motorways, i would look for the services ones as they are generally good with the newer ones. Its the opposite of pterol where I would always avoid services as they overcharge for the petrol

Once you are used to it its not bad at all. Also worth buying a mains charger for remote locations (might need an extension cord as well). They are really not bad and can charge 50% of the tank for a short overnight stop
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:50 am Where I am going to and from is irrelevant. It's just a journey. Thank you for wanting to help. On this subject of locating chargers, how many apps and subscriptions are actually needed to drive these longer distances?

If you will need to plan a charge stop, then where you're going and how you would usually get there (and back) can influence the availability and the providers, which in turn influences whether you need an app or not and whether you need an RFID card or not.

The answer to your question is "it depends", and what it mostly depends on is your destination and route.

The ABRP app is a good one for this kind of thing, for free - pop it on your phone and create a number of different journeys to see what it is you might be contending with.
CarterHounslow

Post by CarterHounslow »

Scratch wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:50 am

The reason I ask is because it does vary where you live in the country. I live in Oxfordshire. In the town where I live, as it's located close to the M40, we have 3 x 50kw chargers, 8 x 100 kw chargers, 8 x Tesla Chargers. Bit ridiculous for a small town really. Although I've never used any in my own town, why would I? On my journeys to London and back and around the midlands, due to the upgrade of Electric Highway with Gridserve and Ionity, I have so much choice. Even if they all failed off the M40 there are other 50kw chargers further off, BP pulse or shell. However if you're in say Cornwall... not so much.

Check out Zap Map to see the availability of chargers. What you want to look at are 50kw and above CCS chargers (forget anything Type 2, even if they are 43kw which you can't use). You can filter them in the search.

In 5000 miles with a little planning I've not even had to be concerned, there was once where I wasn't 100% I was going to get back so I stopped on the M40 at Beaconsfield where there are tonnes of chargers for ten minutes, went on my way.

I did help one person in Scotland, their regular journey was a little risky, she was very remote, only two chargers on her journey where she needed it, that would risky.

What I do is just look before I start my journey, where am I going to charge.... check before you leave again and make sure they're working. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.