Three-pin / granny charger recommendations

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Rampton

Post by Rampton »

No doubt this topic has been covered before, please forgive the repetition. I'm due to take delivery of an ID.3 next week, that'll be our first electric car so there's some trepidation.

We have a regular electrical outlet in our garage which I'd like to use for overnight charging. Because this is a communal garage, we can't install our own charge point so I'll need a three-pin charger. There are so many options, is there much difference between them or is it safe to go for the cheapest? They seem to range from something for £130 from Screwfix (below) to over £300. Currently leaning towards the below by Vonhaus.
Would be very grateful for any advice.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/masterplug-1 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

I managed to get the dealer to throw in a VW granny charger FOC.
Bear in mind you not get to charge faster than 9 miles per hour from a standard domestic socket, so if you are a high mileage driver, you will be topping up en route.
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Picked up the 10 metre version up of one these from eBay this week, strikes me as very well made, bit of a beast actually! Its variable so you could set a lower charging rate if you have all the time in the world and you’ll pay less, it can also be set to charge for a certain amount of time. Used it once to try it out, went from around 70% to full in 6-7 hours.

https://thirdrockenergy.co.uk/products/ ... eq=uniform
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve one of the genuine VW ones - and it seems like a good bit of kit. Using it now to charge at the in laws house and it’s tricking away quite happily at 8mph.

I don’t know if this is the case in the other ones - or if it’s important - but the VW one had a temperature sensor (that cuts the charge of too hot) in the 3 pin plug. Seemed like a sensible thing to have.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

If you're an Octopus electricity customer, you'll be able to get Ohme's app-enabled granny charger for £199, if that helps.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

Bought one of these:

It seems to be sold by a number of different brands/companies and has a consistent high score.

Current is selectable and it has a nice led info display showing how much it is supplying and kwh supplied in session. It also has a bright green charging beacon. The cable seems hugh quality and it is molded into the charger and plug.

No idea if it will stand the test of time but good so far ....
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Can anyone please tell me the cable length on the VW granny charger? Thanks
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

From 3 pin plug to charger its 1.4 m , From charger to type 2 plug it's 4 m and charger is 0.23m , hope that helps
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Thanks Bromsgroveuser.
Rampton

Post by Rampton »

Thanks all. Have gone with the Vogvigo, will report back if any issues.
BeesKnees

Post by BeesKnees »

Utumno wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:11 pm If you're an Octopus electricity customer, you'll be able to get Ohme's app-enabled granny charger for £199, if that helps.
Just spotted this,

I was going for the VW charger with the car but this seems like a much better option. Will be ringing the dealer tomorrow to cancel the VW one
https://ohme-ev.com/octopus-offer
Life Pro with tow hook Stonewashed Blue
Ordered July , provisional build week 40/41, now 43. Confirmed 45
Order No 3136****
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

Looks like a good deal - too late for me though! One important consideration is cable length - you may not have a suitable 3-pin socket close enough for use. I currently use the VW granny charger but added a Toughleads extension unit (which gives me another 10m of cable specified for continuous charging use) which makes it a lot easier. Also, since your 3-pin charger is the one you take with you when visiting friends, you may well need the extra length.
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:06 am I currently use the VW granny charger but added a Toughleads extension unit.
Hi, can you tell me which variety you went for please? I went to their website, but there are a variety of options.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve a tough leads extension. Ots great. Got one with the RCD on the plug - but might not bother if ordering again.
BeesKnees

Post by BeesKnees »

I'm fortunate that I have external plug sockets within reach of the parking spaces. But getting a charge point installed has become an absolute mare as the space is 50 metres from the consumer unit and has no spare points.

So this ohme cable is ideal.
Order No 3136****
Id3x2-21/71

Post by Id3x2-21/71 »

share.octopus.energy/warm-swan-246

Then buy an ohme charger at reduce rate for being an octopus energy customer for only
£199

you have a choice of 3 pin plug or commando socket.

Commando Ideal if you wanna steal caravan site electric 😎
Id3 life pro performance 58kwh white east Derry alloys & Id3 city pure performance 45kwh moonstone grey east Derry alloys

Energy supplier octopus

£50 referral link

share.octopus.energy/warm-swan-246

Charger Ohme ev tethered
NewId3

Post by NewId3 »

The ID3 sold in Ireland comes with both the VW granny charger and the standard charging cable. Have been using the granny charger with no issues the last few weeks at home on an external socket. I’ve set the charging times in the car under location settings to take advantage of night-saver rates and it works well, though the car seems to delay the charging start time as much as possible and always finishes before hitting the 80% limit I’ve set. The WeConnect app doesn’t allow me to override the charging times set in the car.

I will be getting an EV charger installed, but given the ability to set the charging times in the car and my low weekly miles, I could happily do without for now.
Pro Life / White / Dustbin lids
BeesKnees

Post by BeesKnees »

I was half tempted to get a commando socket and buy a three pin to commando adaptor for £5-6.

Later on I can then run some swa cable out with a commando outlet and find an electrician to do the internals. That way I get a 7kW smart charger at home. Using the original granny charger.

I'm sure there is probably a catch I haven't considered
Order No 3136****
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I was just wondering, how many ID3 owners rely on using the Granny Charger? Wall chargers aren't that easy to source at the moment, so may have to rely on our granny charger.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I have a Zappi, but as I am using as much excess Solar as possible and the car sits outside the house most days I hardly ever use the Full 'Fast' mode on the charger and set it to Eco or Eco+.. Effectively delivering similar charging rate to a granny. But my usage allows for that relaxed charging regime.