Home charger location

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Getting nearer (perhaps) to ordering the ID3 and just wondering where people have had their charger fitted. Is it in the garage or on an outside wall? Or both? Is it even possible to have 2 chargers? If your charger is on an outside wall and you have a garage, are you just going to leave your car parked outside all year round, bearing in mind that these batteries don’t really like the cold weather?

Leccy

Post by Leccy »

Having been through the pod point pre-install process (still awaiting the installation), seemed to me that you can have the charger where you want within reason, but a standard install has the charger quite near to your main fuse box/supply point and doesn’t require complex or disguised routing between the two. An example “standard” install would take supply from under the stairs, go to the outside wall from there and run a cable to the charger mounted with 10 metres on that wall. The questions asked were about more distance, inside routing or underground cabling being needed, which I guess would all be possible but at more cost.
SOLD: Cupra Born V3 eBoost / Silver / Beats / Panoramic / Tech L / Cargo
Previous: ID.3 Max / 2.4 / Stonewashed Blue / Andoya Wheels
Pod Point Solo / Octopus Go Faster
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

My car is parked right outside my garage, my consumer unit is in the garage, my Pod Point is on the outside wall on the correct side for the car as I reverse onto the drive.

The cable runs over the top of the garage door (on the inside of the garage) to where I wanted the Pod Point, they drilled through to the outside and the only cable visible outside is the tethered one that plugs into the car.
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

I have an Ohme tethered charger. The set up is similar to Scott28tt with the car on the drive during charge except the charger is inside the garage. It's on the side needed for when I reverse up to the garage and is placed on the wall near door, cable runs under door when in use. When not in use it's locked out of sight in the garage. Fitted by SOL, very neat installation. It's out of view, secure, out of weather, and with minimal trip hazards. Very happy with it.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Thanks for the replies. Our installer has said that the charger can be either in or out of the garage. My issue is that I would like to have the choice of charging in or out of the garage. If the charger is inside, I can't find a way to get the cable to the outside. It won't go under the garage door. Hence have 2 chargers, 1 in and 1 out, but expensive, or find some other solution, which defeats me at the moment.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

scott28tt wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:31 pm My car is parked right outside my garage, my consumer unit is in the garage, my Pod Point is on the outside wall on the correct side for the car as I reverse onto the drive.

The cable runs over the top of the garage door (on the inside of the garage) to where I wanted the Pod Point, they drilled through to the outside and the only cable visible outside is the tethered one that plugs into the car.
So you are happy to leave your car outside year round? That was my point about these batteries not liking cold weather.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:11 am
scott28tt wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:31 pm My car is parked right outside my garage, my consumer unit is in the garage, my Pod Point is on the outside wall on the correct side for the car as I reverse onto the drive.

So you are happy to leave your car outside year round? That was my point about these batteries not liking cold weather.
The majority of people in this country don't have off street parking, and of those that do, probably less than half have have a garage. Our Winters are pretty mild vs the majority of Europe. The fact we're a small island and the relative proximity of the temperature regulating sea helps on that score a lot. Charging at home is very easy on the battery vs rapid charging. Even in the worst conditions, VW have guaranteed the battery for 8 years/100000 miles across all European markets, including those with much colder Winters than ours to still maintain a certain capacity (can't remember the figure - 80%?).

We used to have a garage,but I converted it. Standard 8 foot width, pretty useless with the modern wide car. The ID3 is over 6 foot wide with the wing mirrors folded, add in the thickness of the door when opened ajar and you've got almost no room to get out.

I'd estimate that 90% of cars on the road don't get garaged.

I can imagine that the sellers description of "1 lady owner" is going to be replaced with "only rapid charged X times" for EVs or "SOC still Y%".
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:11 am

I haven’t garaged a car for about 20 years, my BEV will stay on the drive no matter what the weather.

My garage is a gym space, a storage space, a laundry space, and a space for 2-wheeled vehicles (both with and without an engine)
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

I'm happy leaving it out too although, like Scott28tt, I have no option.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I have a similar experience; never used our garage in sixteen years. Narrow and full of 'stuff'. I had our Zappi charger installed inside the garage, so as not to spoil the look!
The cable runs underneath the up & over door (a neighbour helped chisel out a one inch deep channel in the tarmac) so the car can get charged with the door shut. Our solar panels provide most of my charging to date.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Raxacorico wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:38 am I have a similar experience; never used our garage in sixteen years. Narrow and full of 'stuff'. I had our Zappi charger installed inside the garage, so as not to spoil the look!
The cable runs underneath the up & over door (a neighbour helped chisel out a one inch deep channel in the tarmac) so the car can get charged with the door shut. Our solar panels provide most of my charging to date.
I did think about the chiselling scenario. Might be a last resort.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Scratch wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:54 am
Raxacorico wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:38 am I have a similar experience; never used our garage in sixteen years. Narrow and full of 'stuff'. I had our Zappi charger installed inside the garage, so as not to spoil the look!
Personally, I would think about cutting a slot into the garage door and adding a rubber Weather seal of some sort rather than channel the drive. It would be a lot less costly to reverse the action.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:14 am
Scratch wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:54 am
Personally, I would think about cutting a slot into the garage door and adding a rubber Weather seal of some sort rather than channel the drive. It would be a lot less costly to reverse the action.
Ours is a metal door. I did look at that but dismissed it as too messy.
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

The slot/channel I cut is purely in tarmac. Our drive rises approx. 10 inches to the garage floor level, over a distance of about three feet. I know from experience with our communal drive, off the public road, that bags of home user tarmac are available. I've used one to repair the communal drive. Very easy to do.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

Our car is usually outside during the the summer months and in the garage from November through end of March. I am planning to have the charger just inside the garage door next to where the power comes in. I plan on running the cable under the garage door during the summer months to charge, since that half of the garage is full of gardening stuff from April onwards.
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***