ID3 width

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Does anyone know if the door mirrors add any width to the VW data sheet width of 1809mm? The data sheet implies they don’t.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If it's the official measurement from the diagrams at the back of the brochure/pricelist (which I think it is), those are the folded dimensions. The car's wider than that with the mirrors unfolded.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:39 am If it's the official measurement from the diagrams at the back of the brochure/pricelist (which I think it is), those are the folded dimensions. The car's wider than that with the mirrors unfolded.
The drawing I have seems to indicate otherwise:

Width.png

Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Raxacorico wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:46 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:39 am If it's the official measurement from the diagrams at the back of the brochure/pricelist (which I think it is), those are the folded dimensions. The car's wider than that with the mirrors unfolded.
The drawing I have seems to indicate otherwise:
That’s exactly what I mean. I think VW have confused things by saying “excluding door mirrors”.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

The official dimensions do state 1809mm excluding wing mirrors (just checked on VW website), but if the car's got wide "hips" that sit wider than the wing mirrors, I suppose it's academic, unless that view's misleading.

I do fold my mirrors in when I back onto my drive beween my opened gates if I've has to come in at an angle because my arsehole neighbour is slightly encroaching on my driveway. Maybe there's no need and I'm in greater danger of scraping my front wings?

Or maybe that view's misleading? I will have to get my spirit level out later and offer it up to the wing mirror ends to check.

jhg

Post by jhg »

I don't know whether it's accurate or not, but the website automobiledimension.com states the width as 2070mm with mirrors unfolded (and the above figure of 1809mm with mirrors folded). The image in the earlier post above makes it look as though the car is wider at the front than at the mirrors, but that's just due to perspective.
ID.3 Tech Pro Perf, Glacier White, May 2021
Wallbox Pulsar Plus
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Pic just taken front a view exactly in line with the flat edge of the front wheel arch. The wheel arch doesn't seem to curve from front to.back, yet the mirror out seems well beyond its width.

cara download photo instagram

download instagram photo high resolution

The car's definitely wider with the wing mirrors open.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:15 am Pic just taken front a view exactly in line with the flat edge of the front wheel arch. The wheel arch doesn't seem to curve from front to.back, yet the mirror out seems well beyond its width.

cara download photo instagram

download instagram photo high resolution
Thanks for sharing that. Any idea (roughly) how much extra it adds to the width? I always reverse into the garage and use the mirrors to help with that.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

It looks around 5" either side, so jhg's quoted 2070mm with wings unfolded seems about right.

Between my opened driveway gates, I have about 2350mm, so when I come in perfectly, I have about 5" spare each side with the wing mirrors not folded. If I come in less than perfectly straight, I usually fold them in while reversing.

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Thanks for the photos Monkeyhanger, that drawing is quite misleading!
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Probus5002

Post by Probus5002 »

I agree. The dimensions are misleading. I had a 997 (1809 cm) which went in to my garage with mirrors out. I used that dimension for considering the id3 which I subsequently discovered has to fold the mirrors in to get though the gap. Annoying but manageable.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:27 am It looks around 5" either side, so jhg's quoted 2070mm with wings unfolded seems about right.

Between my opened driveway gates, I have about 2350mm, so when I come in perfectly, I have about 5" spare each side with the wing mirrors not folded. If I come in less than perfectly straight, I usually fold them in while reversing.
Thanks again for that info.