Probably a dumb question but……..

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
smuj

Post by smuj »

……….How do you select neutral? When I took a test drive a couple of weeks ago it was explained how to select drive and reverse. Once finished it was just select the parking brake, walk away from the car and it would lock itself. Didn’t think to ask about putting car in neutral. Just wondering if putting the car into park automatically puts it into neutral. Seems logical but couldn’t find anything in the online user manual explaining that. So, just wondering.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

To move between forward (either D mode or B mode) and reverse you go “through” neutral when twisting the selector.

So just like you push the top of the selector forward once to initially put the car in D (or toggle between B and D), if you pull the top of the selector back towards you once the car will be in N, pull it a second time and the car will be in R.

And yes, press the selector end for P and the car will be in neutral.
smuj

Post by smuj »

Thanks. I’m sure I’ll get there.
Smuj

robgarth

Post by robgarth »

I thought neutral enables the car to freewheel, I assume for towing, etc. Once park is pressed the brakes are reapplied and all drives, including Neutral, are disconnected.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
smuj

Post by smuj »

So, if you stop the car, leaving it in drive, apply the parking brake and lock the car, what state is it in when you next start the car? Still in drive or reverted to neutral? He asks scratching head.
Smuj

sclrkuk

Post by sclrkuk »

smuj wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:44 pm So, if you stop the car, leaving it in drive, apply the parking brake and lock the car, what state is it in when you next start the car? Still in drive or reverted to neutral? He asks scratching head.
Park mode.
VW ID.3 Life