Educate me regarding charging away from home

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Hi all,
Would someone be so kind as to outline what a new EV owner needs to have in preparation for charging away from home please. Should I sign up to any organisations? Do I need to have subscriptions for any organisations? Do I need a card of some sort? Can I pay through their apps?
I guess my list of questions could be limitless.
Thank you

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/ - You could start there both looking at the information given and checking what chargers you are likely to encounter on your travels.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

It depends where your journeys tend to take you.

I’m only 3-4 weeks into the EV game and prior to picking it up I downloaded a raft of apps. To date the only ones I have used really are zap-map. Podpoint (needed for charging at Tesco and Lidl (and other places), Osprey (as I’ve used two of their chargers on my routes) which I don’t need but using the app saves 5p per kWh over contactless. Also One for charging free on Manchester points.

Otherwise it’s mainly using contactless payment. Including:

InstaVolt - seems to work every time. Easy to use.

Gridserve (motorway services in some places)

That’s about it.

I stressed about it pre ownership - and charging away from home has been a total non issue!
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 3:49 pm https://www.zap-map.com/charge-points/ - You could start there both looking at the information given and checking what chargers you are likely to encounter on your travels.
Spot on.👌
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

It's a non-issue in London. 7kW charging at Source London walking distance from home and 50kW at an NCP Osprey charger walking distance from Westfield. Signed on to both of them and Bob is very much my uncle.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

You could sign up for lots, but will probably only use one or two. Best to check your routes and see which charging services are on those routes and then make sure you know what's needed, whether it be sign-up for an app, or order a card, etc.

I've driven a 24kWh Leaf for the past 5 years, and have never done long distances, mostly charging at home, but the charges away from home that I've done have been straight forward because I've checked in advance.

Charge Your Car (I used the app, but I think you could get a card) depended on the location, but the app was a bit unreliable.

Pod point (app based) dead straight forward once signed up, and free in the places I've been.

Instavolt (contact less debit/credit card) even simpler, but a bit pricey.

Most recently used a rolec at a national trust that was free and just plug in to start, same as a charger at home.

Looking forward to when my 58kWh ID.3 arrives and I doubt I will do much charging away from home at all!
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Thanks to all for your replies.
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Hi
From your previous posts I believe you are getting a home charger so unless you regularly do over 170 miles in a journey then public chargers are not much of a concern.
If you are doing long journeys check your route and see what you need from there.
You would probably want rapid chargers on a long journey and the motor way services the most convenient.
Be aware if you haven’t signed up to some providers they charge more and some will take a pre authorisation charge from your card.
Bp pulse are one of the cheaper providers if a regular user membership costs 785 pm
Electric highway 30p per kw/h both are not overly reliable at the moment
If you have time at the end of the journey then look for a polar 7kw charger in a Tesco they only charge about 25 mph
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Warminster id wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:15 am Hi
From your previous posts I believe you are getting a home charger so unless you regularly do over 170 miles in a journey then public chargers are not much of a concern.
If you are doing long journeys check your route and see what you need from there.
You would probably want rapid chargers on a long journey and the motor way services the most convenient.
Be aware if you haven’t signed up to some providers they charge more and some will take a pre authorisation charge from your card.
Bp pulse are one of the cheaper providers if a regular user membership costs 785 pm
Electric highway 30p per kw/h both are not overly reliable at the moment
If you have time at the end of the journey then look for a polar 7kw charger in a Tesco they only charge about 25 mph
You are probably correct in that most journeys won't be that long in distance. I just want to be aware of what I need to know in the event of doing a much longer trip.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Try and avoid motorway service areas. Find a InstaVolt/osprey charger close to a motorway exit (they’re quite deliberately located there.. nearly always next to somewhere where you can have refreshments) have a cuppa and stick in 30 min worth of electrons and carry on 👍😁
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Like I said look out for the charges you could find yourself with money held on your card.
And if you are putting a big charge in osprey and InstaVolt are pricey , could mean you’re paying £4-10 extra on a long journey.
The network is getting more reliable with more investment.
When you eventually get your new car I hope you enjoy the experience and all your worries melt away.
Looking forward to hearing from you with your ownership experience
Have fun
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Warminster id wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:51 am Like I said look out for the charges you could find yourself with money held on your card.
And if you are putting a big charge in osprey and InstaVolt are pricey , could mean you’re paying £4-10 extra on a long journey.
The network is getting more reliable with more investment.
When you eventually get your new car I hope you enjoy the experience and all your worries melt away.
Looking forward to hearing from you with your ownership experience
Have fun
Thanks. I am beginning to wonder if I will get this car at all. The VW dealer doesn’t seem to communicate much. A week ago I left them a small holding deposit after they had told me that they had found a car for delivery end September. I did phone them a couple of days ago and they said they couldn’t confirm anything as the VW computer network was down. Is it still down? (Rhetorical question).
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Sorry to hear about the delay, keep badgering them and in the meantime check with some other sources.
I think some others have managed to pick theirs up in about 4 weeks.
And I read monkeyhanger’s post and he picked up a really good deal.
Good luck it’s definitely worth the wait I’ve enjoyed my car and no issues that others have had.