ROAD TRIP! Taking the ID.3 to central Italy

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Two observations I forgot to mention:

1) the car recognises it is not in Kansas anymore and the lights switch automatically to ‘drive on the left’, which beats the old way of doing this which was to glue tape over the long-distance part of the lights. We have the adaptive lighting pack as standard on the Tour so not sure if it’s linked to that.
2) you can set units to “sane, sensible and comprehensible”, sorry I mean metric, which I would recommend while in France. One side effect of that is that suddenly instantaneous consumption (which I think is in miles/kWh in the UK) is now in kWh/hour which keeps your brain occupied (e.g. 20kWh/h and speed of 120kmh/h means you are doing 6km/kWh or 3.75 miles/kWh. It’s good to keep your brain jogging while driving.

All the best

Andreas
Last edited by Andreas on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)

Black

Post by Black »

Excellent write up and thanks for taking the time to share.
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Abadgermac

Post by Abadgermac »

Andreas wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:12 am Two observations I forgot to mention:

1) the car recognises it is not in Kansas anymore and the lights switch automatically to ‘drive on the left’, which beats the old way of doing this which was to glue tape over the long-distance part of the lights. We have the adaptive lighting pack as standard on the Tour so not sure if it’s linked to that.
2) you can set units to “sane, sensible and comprehensible”, sorry I mean metric, which I would recommend while in France. One side effect of that is that suddenly instantaneous consumption (which I think is in miles/kWh in the UK) is now in kWh/hour which keeps your brain occupied (e.g. 20kWh/h and speed of 120kmh/h means your doing 6km/kWh or 3.75 miles/kWh. It’s good to keep your brain jogging while driving.

All the best

Andreas
Which country are you referring to when you say “drive on left”. This setting has confused me ever since I got the car.
ID.3 1st Edition, Manganese Grey Metallic. 2.1 Software update 7 April 2021. 2.3 OTA Software update 2 August 2021. Dealer installed 2.4 update & battery 29 July 2022. 3.0 OTA update 21 December 2022. 3.2 Dealer installed October 2023.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Let me check that later.

I think it said ‘Drive on the Right’ (steering wheel side) while I was in the UK. I then wanted to change that manually after landing in France but saw the car had already done it.

But will check. I’m confused now as well.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
thewanted

Post by thewanted »

I'm really jealous that you managed to go abroad! Sounds like an awesome trip, and Italy is my favourite destination in Europe.

I have searched high and low for photos/videos of how practical the boot is with regards to luggage but haven't been very successful. Would you mind taking a photo of how you've packed the boot please? I'm wondering if the car could be used for airport runs where two large (20kg+) suitcases need to be carried. I don't mind removing the parcel shelf in this situation.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

thewanted wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:08 am I'm really jealous that you managed to go abroad! Sounds like an awesome trip, and Italy is my favourite destination in Europe.

I have searched high and low for photos/videos of how practical the boot is with regards to luggage but haven't been very successful. Would you mind taking a photo of how you've packed the boot please? I'm wondering if the car could be used for airport runs where two large (20kg+) suitcases need to be carried. I don't mind removing the parcel shelf in this situation.
There's always good old Bjorn and his banana box test..
thewanted

Post by thewanted »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:48 am
thewanted wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:08 am I'm really jealous that you managed to go abroad! Sounds like an awesome trip, and Italy is my favourite destination in Europe.

Cheers. I've seen this video but banana boxes are not a very useful point of reference for me.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

thewanted wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:51 am

Cheers. I've seen this video but banana boxes are not a very useful point of reference for me.
To be honest I'm am not sure they are for anyone other than a greengrocer.

We can get my son's full hockey kit in the back along with stick bag. (Goalie) so a lot of kit. It actually fits in the ID3 better than it did in my Tiguan as although the Tig had a bigger (slighlty, I think) boot the wheel arches stuck into the space and made it less practical.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Let's continue, day 2.

Considerable improvement over day one. After another trip to the pool and a great breakfast, appointment at La Pharmacie at 09.45 for obligatory COVID test (EUR25pp, needed for entry to Italy). Results by 10.30 and off we go.

Crossing the border is no issue, no controls, and off we go zooming down the very nice but busy Swiss highways (Vignette was mail-ordered in the UK). First stop is Ionity Neuenkirch, a marvellous charging location with a nice playground and view of the mountains. Taking some time the ID.3 is charged to 100%. On arrival at the four chargers a XC40 occupies another one, and that's it. While there a couple rocks up in an Ionity 5, test-driving, and obviously seeking out other EV drivers for a chat (there is a nice social aspect in charging, you get to talk to lots of fellow EV drivers if you are so inclined). I recommended the ID.3, which was their other option.

The onwards to the Gotthardt tunnel, and yes, mountain motorway driving is fun, the recharge function is working overtime, and the distance on the Guessometer keeps going up. As there is traffic jams advertised at the Gotthardt, a quick comfort break and opportunity top-up at Gotthardt Süd. Another nice location, next to a river. The Swiss do motorway stops in style.

Then off to the tunnel. A 5km traffic jam before the entry costs us about 30 minutes. The nav system is clearly on drugs (as is Waze), suggesting to avoid the jam by going over the pass. Sure, Jan. My daughter decides to take a nap in the back, and (another EV advantage) conks out completely for the next 3 hours. Lack of noise and vibrations makes for better sleep I guess. As the old joke goes, I want to die peacefully and in my sleep, like grandpa, and not screaming and in terror like the others in his car.

As the car is now quite well charged, and as the descent from Gotthardt means recharge is now permanent, there is no need to stop at Bellinzona, and we are off to Binasco, just south of Milan. Again, no checks at the border (with Italy this time), a short traffic jam shortly after the border, and then heavy but fast-moving traffic to Milan. The ACC is working well in this, but you need to keep attention to the speed limits in construction sites, since Italians treat them as laughable suggestions. At Binasco there's a McDonalds and not much else. Top-up to 100%, as there is a 281km leg coming up to Forli, and I don't intend to stop at Carpi or repeat yesterday's experience. We cut through to the A! direction Bologna rather than going north and then south again via the Milano Tangenziale Sud, shaving 5 or 6km off. Then it's straight 280km down the motorway at 130km/h without a break. The ID.3 just goes 'Range Anxiety, what's that mate'? I keep monitoring use, but we go along with music and nav system on and a/c running at comfortable level all the way, at allowed speeds (Although I may or may not once have taken her to 154km/h to overtake a particularly recalcitrant middle-lane hogger). it's all brilliant.

We get to Forli in the dark, the Ionity station is a bit off the motorway at a major shopping centre. So we shop a bit, have a coffee for the last leg, and stretch our legs. Then it is off into the night (the adaptive lighting is awesome) down the SS3bis. Trust me, you do not want to go down the SS3bis. It's a constant construction site down to Perugia, with the only benefit that it's so sh*t, even truckers spurn it and go another way south. We eventually make it, again maybe not always having kept the 40km/h speed limit the ACC insisted on. We arrive at around 23.30 at our destination with a reasonable charge, and another memorable day ended. I now have full trust in the range capacity of the ID.3 Tour, a much better idea of what I can push it to, and am overall happy as Larry (whoever he is) with the choice.

Day 2 stats
Distance covered = 861km
Speed = 86km/h average 1
Driving time = 10h12
Average efficiency = 6.1km/kWh
Day started charge level 59kwh
4 Charges:
1) Ionity Neuenkirch 55.82 kWh/58mins/CHF16.75 (to 100%)
2) Gotthardt Süd Ionity 6.56 kWh/12mins/CHF1.97 (top-up)
3) Ionity Binasco 32.14 kWh/44mins/EUR9.64 (to 100%)
4) Ionity Forli 52.10 kWh/53mins/EUR15.63 (to 100%)
Day ended charge level 53kwh
Total 146.62 charged and 4.62 battery drawdown for total of 151.24 kWh, 2h47 charging time, EUR42.68

All the best

Andreas
——————
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

We had one large Samsonite (20kg+ variety), two carry-ons, and various bits and bobs (small box, daypack rucksacks, charging cables (Type 2 and 3-pin). It's unloaded now but will see if two 20kgs fit. I suspect they will, if they are being but upright and athwart the car), with an additional carry-on and a backpack, charging cables between the large luggage wheels. As long as you remove the parcel shelf, which we did.

But let me check, I may be over optimistic.

All the best

Andreas
——————
van

Post by van »

G43FAN wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:09 pm
thewanted wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:51 am

To be honest I'm am not sure they are for anyone other than a greengrocer.

We can get my son's full hockey kit in the back along with stick bag. (Goalie) so a lot of kit. It actually fits in the ID3 better than it did in my Tiguan as although the Tig had a bigger (slighlty, I think) boot the wheel arches stuck into the space and made it less practical.
Take a look at autoev.co.uk review from about 6'40"
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Okay I just checked. With soft shells 2x20kg+ and one carry on seem to be the design load. If you can then wedge the Type 2 cable into the small stowage space you will be able to put some smaller bags in on the side of the large suitcases.

All the best

Andreas
——————
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Here’s a picture. There’s enough space in front of the big luggage to put another one.

All the best

Andreas

BFD2F983-F398-4C04-86BC-73007FD08B69.jpeg

——————
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Abadgermac wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:38 am
Andreas wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:12 am Two observations I forgot to mention:

2) you can set units to “sane, sensible and comprehensible”, sorry I mean metric, which I would recommend while in France. One side effect of that is that suddenly instantaneous consumption (which I think is in miles/kWh in the UK) is now in kWh/hour which keeps your brain occupied (e.g. 20kWh/h and speed of 120kmh/h means your doing 6km/kWh or 3.75 miles/kWh. It’s good to keep your brain jogging while driving.

All the best

Andreas
Which country are you referring to when you say “drive on left”. This setting has confused me ever since I got the car.
Sorry for delay. Convinced now it refers to the side your car is on based on the forward direction of travel. I got left and right confused in my post. Only human, and male. 😬

It switched from one to the other automatically though when we got to France.

All the best

Andreas

95A1B4F6-894F-4B1C-A488-92C0592170EF.jpeg

——————
thewanted

Post by thewanted »

van wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:44 pm Take a look at autoev.co.uk review from about 6'40"

Thanks! I missed that review. His suitcases are smaller than ours, but it certainly gives a good idea of what's possible.

Andreas wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:48 pm Here’s a picture. There’s enough space in front of the big luggage to put another one.

All the best

Andreas

That's amazing! Thank you so much for going through all of that hassle for me. I really appreciate it.

I test drove the ID.3 today and the boot is certainly bigger in the flesh than it comes across in videos. I have no doubt that we could get a large amount of luggage in, including a BabyZen YoYo stroller.
KefynBryn

Post by KefynBryn »

great fun and good luck!
ID.3 FAMILY PRO ARCTIC WHITE ON ORDER FROM 10/08/2021
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Thanks! Loving it now that I'm here. The car was made for driving around bendy hilly roads. Very zippy and sits flat on the road.

Every evening before going to bed it's plugged in and recharges happily, to start the next day at 80%. Turns heads too, as it seems to be the only ID.3 around here thus far.

All the best

Andreas
——————
Kelloggs

Post by Kelloggs »

Thank you for posting this. Really enjoyed reading about your trip. I was thinking of driving over to see my son in Milan when we can get over without 5 day isolation. I’d be really interested in your trip back if you can post anything. Have a great time and best wishes for a smooth trip back
id3 life performance pro heat pump, turquoise,black.
share.octopus.energy/witty-hawk-404
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Thanks your posts are a very interesting read. Mine will be a 58kwh pro performance family. Your stops to Switzerland are similar to the ones I had in mind. From Zurich I’ll be heading to Viareggio which on ABRP means I’ll be charging at Bellinzona and Piacenza ionity.
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Okay, final on this in two parts.

I - In Italy
We spent about four weeks in Central Italy, with two return trips to Firenze airport (200km each way) and two return trips to Abruzzo where my parents now live most of the year (200km each way). Also racked up about 50-100km per day driving around, e.g. to the public pool in the morning, shopping etc. All on hilly and bendy roads. It was awesome. Charging was done mostly at home, on reduced AC current overnight, with no major issues. You can't have other heavy loads going, it will blow the fuse as Italy only has 3.3kW as mains power standard in a domestic connection. High-speed charging at Valdichiana Outlet (Bettole, ca. half-way to Florence). The place was crowded the first time I went there, and I ended up looking for a nearby EnelX which also worked. The village also has a BeCharge column (11kW) which was good to have but too expensive at 45c/kWh. Still, good backup. If it had been 30ish I would have used it exclusively. Used a hotel charger in Pineto twice, which also worked very well, on a timed charge by the looks of it, and a free 11kW Lidl charger once.

One thing to consider for home charging in Italy is that if you have a power adapter on your granny charger, make sure the adapter is rated to 15 amps. In Abruzzo power quality was very low, the adapter only rated to 10 amps, and it melted it. Fortunately enough no fire, but this was a close call.

The ID.3 is handling very very well on the Italian secondary and tertiary roads. It's acceleration is awesome and really helpful if you want to overtake. In hot summer weather range even at 130km/h is exceptionally good, I co-axed it to over 400km, which is not something I could replicate in colder northern weather.

All the best

Andreas
——————