You know it's coming, don't you.....

The place to discuss everything else..
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

As I have insomnia, I couldn't help over-thinking this.
So, you are happily driving down the motorway, at 80mph ;) , in your ID3 and unbeknown to you, are being followed by an unmarked cop car. How long will it be before that cop car can log into your ID3 and reduce your speed, or indeed, turn your ID3 off?
These cars are getting too intelligent.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

I suppose it's better than the Norwegian car chase method - Harpoon the criminal and reel them in - nice big hole in the back of your car!
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

If it stops you getting points and a fine, and makes everyone around you safer, why not?

But… this: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/content/ne ... -from-2022
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

scott28tt wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:57 am If it stops you getting points and a fine, and makes everyone around you safer, why not?

If they're going to intervene to reduce your speed, I'm sure they'll give you a fine and points for their trouble.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Probably not too far away will be a mandatory application of speed control in the SW that you cant overide. No need for police or harpoons.
Have to look on youtube for some harpooning 😆
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

As a follow up on this, how about a setting in the WeConnect app so that if you see your car being nicked, you can disable the drive remotely?
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

scott28tt wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:57 am If it stops you getting points and a fine, and makes everyone around you safer, why not?

Sooner than I expected. I will read on but presume there is no requirement for older cars/ICE models to be modified. That will make M way driving interesting.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Coopear

Post by Coopear »

One reason why not is if VW's software still has holes in it in 2022. When driving down the A1(M) a few months ago using ACC, as I entered a 50mph zone approaching a roundabout my car first slowed to 50, then decided the speed limit was 90mph (!) and began accelerating a couple of 100m from the roundabout :-/

Pretty basic error in their systems I would suggest. I reported it to my dealer, but no response back from VW

IMG_16FB6A0EFAD7-1.jpeg

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I’ve disabled the sign reading option. Makes the ACC far more predictable. Does mean you have to observe speed limits for yourself - but cuts out all the random speed changes.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I cant remember what I changed but my car no longer speeds up when limits change although if I pass a parallel access road or slip from an A road it detects the lower speed limit and slows down quickly much to the anoyance of those behind me.
I will look at the sign reading settings again.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

Scratch wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 am As I have insomnia, I couldn't help over-thinking this.
So, you are happily driving down the motorway, at 80mph ;) , in your ID3 and unbeknown to you, are being followed by an unmarked cop car. How long will it be before that cop car can log into your ID3 and reduce your speed, or indeed, turn your ID3 off?
I'm not seeing the drawback?

What moral/legal benefit is there to not having that?
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

sausageroll wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:46 am
Scratch wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:13 am As I have insomnia, I couldn't help over-thinking this.

It was meant to be a light hearted comment!
sausageroll

Post by sausageroll »

Scratch wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:56 pm
sausageroll wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:46 am

It was meant to be a light hearted comment!
Ah. It sounded too genuine as one of the cliches you see/hear about cars these days.

"In my day they didn't give you some flippin' light to tell you sommert were wrong wit' engine! You either lived in complete ignorance with 10mpg, or spent 12 weeks trying t'adjust t'points and gaps, even though you didn't know what you were up ta!"