UK vs Norway............

The place to discuss everything else..
Mark55

Post by Mark55 »

Hi
Before covid, I was flying to Norway several times a year and EVs are everywhere there, even my son has one.

The difference between Stansted airport and Oslo airport for EVs is staggering.

Stansted has ZERO EV chargers in its car parks. Long, Mid and Short.

Oslo Airport has lots 727 of them, cost to charge is 10 NOK per hour up to 5 hours. After five hours, you have reached the maximum price for charging and can charge for as long as you want. Parking Payment/prices for the actual parking time comes in addition to the charging fee.

My idea would be to fit "some" Stansted parking bays with 3 KWh chargers. That way when you get back to the car say after a week it should be at whatever the max charge was set on the car. If the ID.3 can do that, as not got mine yet and probably not until February march next year.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance ordered September 2021.
Glacier White Metallic Flat black
Delivered May 2023. Running 3.2
Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/dusky-quail-943

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

At Manchester airport (2nd busiest in the country now I believe?) there are ZERO EV charging points. The nearest is (free) at the National Trusts Quarry bank. If you want to pick someone up the short term parking costs £6 for 30 min parking rising to £12 for an hour and that much per hour there-after. About as much as it costs me sat charging at an instavolt charger.

In the on site long stay its c.£30 and upwards a day.
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

Norway is way ahead. There’s a great YouTube channel by Bjørn Nyland in English featuring EV’s in Norway. Recommend it.
TheJimster

Post by TheJimster »

MotMot wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:02 pm At Manchester airport (2nd busiest in the country now I believe?) there are ZERO EV charging points. The nearest is (free) at the National Trusts Quarry bank. If you want to pick someone up the short term parking costs £6 for 30 min parking rising to £12 for an hour and that much per hour there-after. About as much as it costs me sat charging at an instavolt charger.

The lack of EV charging at Manchester airport does seem ridiculous. And they do keep finding more and more ways to squeeze money out of you. I don't think you can drop off or pick up at the airport now without paying.

We do have three 50kw rapids in Wilmslow at least, which is only a few minutes away. But surely there must be a decent demand for EV charging at the airport itself.
71 / 2021 ID.3 City Pure Performance, Moonstone Grey. Get a £50 bonus when you switch to Octopus energy: http://share.octopus.energy/best-moose-515
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

TheJimster wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:04 pm
MotMot wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:02 pm At Manchester airport (2nd busiest in the country now I believe?) there are ZERO EV charging points. The nearest is (free) at the National Trusts Quarry bank. If you want to pick someone up the short term parking costs £6 for 30 min parking rising to £12 for an hour and that much per hour there-after. About as much as it costs me sat charging at an instavolt charger.

The lack of EV charging at Manchester airport does seem ridiculous. And they do keep finding more and more ways to squeeze money out of you. I don't think you can drop off or pick up at the airport now without paying.

We do have three 50kw rapids in Wilmslow at least, which is only a few minutes away. But surely there must be a decent demand for EV charging at the airport itself.
It’s £3 to pick up or drop off now - all anpr driven. Came in a few months before covid. Hence you sometimes get passengers being dropped off just as the motorway bit ends. Bonkers and money grabbing.

Anyway - there is at least the 8 x 150kw chargers on the A56 in Stretford which is about 20 min away. Lymm services the other way on the M56 (3x Gridserve). Planning ongoing for Tatton services that should have loads of chargers too… maybe.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

My other half is Norwegian and even three years ago I was staggered to see 12 Tesla super chargers in the car park of a perfectly average Spar type small super market in the middle of nowhere north east of Bergen. Not even on a main road! Most bus lanes have been open to EV drivers but that may be changing due to the sheer number of EVs on the road. There are all sorts of other advantages too. Norway has road pricing but EV's are charged at the lowest level - each car has to have an Autopass gadget fixed in the windscreen. EVs are exempt from 25% VAT since 2001 and are exempt from purchase/import taxes. Autopass charges are also discounted:

www.autopass.no/en/payment/rates-and-discounts
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

This has something to do with it: https://elbil.no/english/norwegian-ev-policy/

Taxpayers are footing the bill for all those incentives, or going without other services.