Having bought the ID.3...................

The place to discuss everything else..
daern

Post by daern »

Latest update: apparently Cupra Born pre-orders going onto the system on 22nd March, at which point I should get some sort of idea as to when the car might turn up.

Happy to run a sweepstake on it here, but I've already claimed "2023"...
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Maybe VW should rename this product line (ID3, Born) as the "VW Unicorn"
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

DickieBoy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:00 pm
andrewparker wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:35 pm
daern wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:32 pm

To be fair, the order book doesn't yet appear to be open and there is no indication as yet as to when these cars may be delivered. It may be a significant wait...
It was more things like bucket seats and upgraded audio I was referring to. At around £40k I think I'd choose the Born over an ID3 Max.
Looks like they are going with the Born being the 'hot hatch' styling of the family. No idea what you get with the Max but I would prefer the matrix lights over bucket seats and sound system. At least this gives an option to those who wouldn't though.
The true cost of the Born will be determined by perception of the brand. VAG are aiming at Audi prices rather than VW prices. Can they pull off the perception of Cupra being a premium brand, or just an overpriced Seat? If you're giving it an Audi sized RRP but it has Seat residuals, it will be very expensive on a monthly basis, especially if it has perfornance looks but no extra performance - will it be considered a Halfords make over of the ID3?
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:00 am
DickieBoy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:00 pm
andrewparker wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:35 pm

It was more things like bucket seats and upgraded audio I was referring to. At around £40k I think I'd choose the Born over an ID3 Max.
Looks like they are going with the Born being the 'hot hatch' styling of the family. No idea what you get with the Max but I would prefer the matrix lights over bucket seats and sound system. At least this gives an option to those who wouldn't though.
The true cost of the Born will be determined by perception of the brand. VAG are aiming at Audi prices rather than VW prices. Can they pull off the perception of Cupra being a premium brand, or just an overpriced Seat? If you're giving it an Audi sized RRP but it has Seat residuals, it will be very expensive on a monthly basis, especially if it has perfornance looks but no extra performance - will it be considered a Halfords make over of the ID3?
To be fair, if you compare the Born price/spec against the new ID3 Life price/spec (rather than the ID3 price/spec up until recently), then the Born is definitely better value. A Born v2 has significantly more options and is still a grand cheaper. V1 cheaper again.
I do agree with you though about their brand management of Cupra v Seat. But they are also trying to sell Skoda's for up to ~£50k... it's analogous to what Kia and Hyundai are doing.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
daern

Post by daern »

Nice to see one in the flesh:

PXL_20220318_115734366.jpg

Unsurprisingly, it's about ID.3-sized, but it's a very handsome thing to my eyes.

As a note, my dealer told me that there will be zero purchasable stock coming into the UK, with all early cars being showroom / demo cars. The first cars sold will all be to order which will be "later in the year" - apparently, was meant to be June/July prior to the Ukraine conflict, but now pushed back an indeterminate period.
duncsand

Post by duncsand »

I spoke to my local Cupra dealer - he's not expecting customer cars to be delivered this year. They have demo cars already and invited me for a test drive, which I declined on the basis it's an id.3 in different clothes. They are taking orders from 22nd March, but I think I'll stick with the id.3 - I don't see any reason to think the Born will turn up quicker.
---
id.3 Family Pro Performance.
Ordered September 2021, build week 25, confirmed built 1st July, collected from dealer 20th July.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Tesla Bjorn has a Born press car at the moment and is doing a series of video reviews. He does continually refer to it a poor-man's ID.3 in the two videos I watched, but might be of interest...
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

sidehaas wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:48 pm Tesla Bjorn has a Born press car at the moment and is doing a series of video reviews. He does continually refer to it a poor-man's ID.3 in the two videos I watched, but might be of interest...

It rather vexes me about this whole “poor man’s ID.3” attitude, particularly from Tesla Bjorn of all people. Talk about stirring a pot that doesn’t need stirring…
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
daern

Post by daern »

I have an initial delivery date on my Born - 17th October (2022 for the avoidance of doubt!)

Apparently, should have been more like June/July, but Ukraine has thrown schedules out so a bit later. Some cars getting a 2023 delivery date, so cautiously pleased with this. Now they just need to actually deliver against it...
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Utumno wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:22 pm
sidehaas wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:48 pm Tesla Bjorn has a Born press car at the moment and is doing a series of video reviews. He does continually refer to it a poor-man's ID.3 in the two videos I watched, but might be of interest...

It rather vexes me about this whole “poor man’s ID.3” attitude, particularly from Tesla Bjorn of all people. Talk about stirring a pot that doesn’t need stirring…
What dies he consider poor about it (I tried to persevere with the video, but was bored)?

Under the skin its the same car and I had assumed it was supposed to be plusher inside, giving the interior some wished the ID3 had (presumably nicer door cards, sports seats etc). Does it deliver on the better interior at the expense of standard spec, not deliver on either front, or something else happening?

daern

Post by daern »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:46 am What dies he consider poor about it (I tried to persevere with the video, but was bored)?

Under the skin its the same car and I had assumed it was supposed to be plusher inside, giving the interior some wished the ID3 had (presumably nicer door cards, sports seats etc). Does it deliver on the better interior at the expense of standard spec, not deliver on either front, or something else happening?
I don't really get it. The only thing I can see that's a drop in spec is the lack of matrix headlights (which is annoying, I'll admit) - otherwise, it generally seems like you get more for your money at each level. I've now sat in a Born and, as far as I can tell, it's like a very-slightly plusher ID.3, but fundamentally the same car. Seats are nicer though :-)
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Maybe he's trying to counter all the reviews I have seen where they refer to it as the GTI version of the ID.3 and seem to ignore that it's ultimately the same car (in currently available options, I don't believe the higher power motor version is available yet is it?)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:11 pm

Maybe he's trying to counter all the reviews I have seen where they refer to it as the GTI version of the ID.3 and seem to ignore that it's ultimately the same car (in currently available options, I don't believe the higher power motor version is available yet is it?)
If its got the same output (not the same motor with a 10 second "overboost" (to use ICE terminology), or a more powerful motor then the analogy is probably more akin to R-line vs GT, if the Born range is all at Pro Performance level.

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I got the impression the only thing Bjorn positively disliked about the Born (a 58kwh model equivalent to a pro performance) compared to the ID3 was the headlights. He was neutral about the interior, describing it as different rather than better, but he said he thought it might appeal to some people who didn't like the ID3. He said he preferred the design of the ID3 infotainment to the Born's. In all other respects he basically said it was the same. The'poor man's ID3' line was just a windup for Seat/Cupra enthusiasts, he wasn't saying it was a poor car.
There was some surprising stuff in his 1000km challenge - overnight motorway driving at around zero C. He got 130kw at every charging stop up to about 20% SoC (he started out with a warm battery after rapid charging to full). The battery stayed warm while driving and there was no cold gating at all. But his average consumption was terrible - I worked out it equated to a 100% range of about 130 miles or so. I've never seen anything remotely that bad in my car. I think he said he was doing 120kph.