Having bought the ID.3...................

The place to discuss everything else..
daern

Post by daern »

andrewparker wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:37 pm Have you been able to spec it? Options? Colours?
Minimal info on this available right now. Taken the V2 spec (Mrs Daern wants heated seats!) and the basic colour (keeping the costs under control), but there's not much information on what other options would be available. On a lease car, they tend to be burnt money anyway, so would have been unlikely to take anything excessive anyway.

There's a pile of stuff in the international brochure, (here: https://www.cupraofficial.com/content/d ... e-2021.pdf) but it's not clear what will be available in the UK. Details of trim levels is at least available now, here: https://www.cupraofficial.co.uk/cars/cu ... /born.html
Cupra Born V2 - Vapor Grey
Lease order placed in Jan '22
Dealer order placed in March '22
Build date confirmed, delivery due late-July '22
ID.3 Family Pro - ordered Jan, optimistically due end of '22. Cancelled in Feb

andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

daern wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:46 pm
andrewparker wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:37 pm Have you been able to spec it? Options? Colours?
Minimal info on this available right now. Taken the V2 spec (Mrs Daern wants heated seats!) and the basic colour (keeping the costs under control), but there's not much information on what other options would be available. On a lease car, they tend to be burnt money anyway, so would have been unlikely to take anything excessive anyway.

There's a pile of stuff in the international brochure, (here: https://www.cupraofficial.com/content/d ... e-2021.pdf) but it's not clear what will be available in the UK. Details of trim levels is at least available now, here: https://www.cupraofficial.co.uk/cars/cu ... /born.html
Cool, I'll have a look. It was adaptive dampers that interested me. It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere I've looked, either as standard or optional.
Polestar 2 / Midnight / Plus / 20s
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
daern

Post by daern »

andrewparker wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:54 pm Cool, I'll have a look. It was adaptive dampers that interested me. It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere I've looked, either as standard or optional.
Best I can see is "Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC suspension)", which is in the global brochure as an option. Same thing?

https://www.seat.com/car-terms/d/dcc.html

Looks to be the thing you're after, but whether it comes to the UK is another question...
Last edited by daern on Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Thought the Born was a lot more money for a lot less spec, although that might be why it's available quicker.
What was the stats for the factory, 1250 cars a week.
VW saying there's a 95k backlog of IDs (or is that MEB platform) either way 76 weeks... hope your Born is already built.
Splash-Man

Post by Splash-Man »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:18 pm Thought the Born was a lot more money for a lot less spec, although that might be why it's available quicker.
VW saying there's a 95k backlog of IDs (or is that MEB platform) either way 76 weeks... hope your Born is already built.
The 1250 capacity is per day not week based on 330,000 total build per year.. Gives approximately 11 week at full capacity.
No idea what the actual build rate is at the moment though so clearly these numbers are all guess work.
2023 Facelift 77kWh Pro S Costa Azule
18/9/23 Order placed
15/12/23 Collection day count down !
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

daern wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:16 pm
andrewparker wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:54 pm Cool, I'll have a look. It was adaptive dampers that interested me. It doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere I've looked, either as standard or optional.
Best I can see is "Dynamic Chassis Control (DCC suspension)", which is in the global brochure as an option. Same thing?

https://www.seat.com/car-terms/d/dcc.html

Looks to be the thing you're after, but whether it comes to the UK is another question...
Yeah, it's standard on the Max so I wondered whether the V3 spec mirrored that of the Max, but it would seem DCC is optional, though it's not clear whether it's part of a pack, or a stand alone.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
daern

Post by daern »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:18 pm Thought the Born was a lot more money for a lot less spec, although that might be why it's available quicker.
Pricing pretty similar here, although more than the ID.3 Family Pro we had originally ordered as it was a 2021 order so pre-price rises and changes to the EV grants. Specs seem similar to me, with the V2 supposedly being placed at £34,190 (a bit cheaper than a Family Pro Performance ID.3). You lose the glass roof and matrix headlights, but gain the HUD and a bigger main screen in the cabin. Not seen one in the flesh, so can't comment as to whether or not the interior is better or worse than an equivalent spec of ID.3.
G43FAN wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:18 pm What was the stats for the factory, 1250 cars a week.
Entirely fair, although my suspicion is that one of the reasons that the ID.3s are being so delayed is getting launch stock of the Cupra Born built on the same line, so I wouldn't assume that a new Cupra order will go to the back of the ID.3 line.

Reality is that I've taken a punt and who knows when it will turn up. I reckon I wouldn't have seen my ID.3 until next year anyway, so I doubt I'm a whole lot worse off. We'll see!
stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

Cupra Born has no cover on the reversing camera so will get filthy, NO matrix headlights and no HUD. As far as I am concerned it's form over function so I will stick with my ID3 Tour thanks!
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger
daern

Post by daern »

stevieboy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:54 pm Cupra Born has no cover on the reversing camera so will get filthy, NO matrix headlights and no HUD. As far as I am concerned it's form over function so I will stick with my ID3 Tour thanks!
Not noticed the camera - good spot that - but will need to wait to see one in the flesh to see how it works out. I mentioned the matrix headlights above (which are a sad omission), but the HUD is standard in V2 and V3 trim levels. The Tour-equivalent (77kWh) version isn't out until later in the year anyway (with a supposed "e-boost" function for short-term power boost), so it's anyone's guess as to what the spec will look like by then.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Splash-Man wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:23 pm
The 1250 capacity is per day not week based on 330,000 total build per year.. Gives approximately 11 week at full capacity.
No idea what the actual build rate is at the moment though so clearly these numbers are all guess work.
Yes you're right that was a per day figure.. although that seems to work out as a 5 day production week so 95,000 is still around 15 weeks unless they are dragging the workforce in 7 days a week to catch up.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

daern wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:28 pm
Reality is that I've taken a punt and who knows when it will turn up. I reckon I wouldn't have seen my ID.3 until next year anyway, so I doubt I'm a whole lot worse off. We'll see!
Absolutely, I hope you get lucky, I have been looking to replace my wife's 4yr old Golf and wondered about the Born, but the Matrix light omission was a killer for me plus my Family was a lot cheaper than a Born was looking so I felt doubly challenged.
daern

Post by daern »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:28 pm Absolutely, I hope you get lucky, I have been looking to replace my wife's 4yr old Golf and wondered about the Born, but the Matrix light omission was a killer for me plus my Family was a lot cheaper than a Born was looking so I felt doubly challenged.
Indeed. Absolutely the same quandary here. Mrs Daern loved the matrix headlights (driving around at night on full beam all of the time will *never* get boring!), but she also loved the poke in the Pro Performance model (for various reasons, it wasn't really possible to get a Pro Performance ID.3 at a sensible price, and a sensible timeframe) so we'd had to compromise a bit with the Family Pro ID.3, which was priced excellently. It all came down to leadtimes in the end which led us to pay a bit more money for the Born V2. Not an easy decision at all, I'll be honest, and as of right now, I'd probably accept whichever car turned up first!

Both would be excellent cars and we wouldn't have been unhappy with either. Had it been a case of "place order, receive car next week", we'd have the better priced (if a bit less powerful) ID.3 Family Pro I'm sure.

FWIW, I reckon a model revision will see the Born get the matrix lights eventually anyway...probably with a price hike to go with it!
daern

Post by daern »

For those interested in such things, Cupra now have the configurator for the Born with the various UK market options (and pricing) on their website now:
https://www.cupraofficial.co.uk/configu ... f=cupra-uk

Few highlights:

Panoramic roof: £900
Cargo pack (double boot floor + mode 2 charging cable): £315
Heat pump: £900
DCC : £765
Tech (M) (Kessy, car 2X, wireless phone charger): £500
Tech (L) (as above, plus park assist): £720
Beats audio: £435

Orders being taken from April, but no idea when the official order book opens. I'll chase my lease company later this week...
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

Beggars belief that Cupra will sell you a highly specced ID3, but VW won't.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
daern

Post by daern »

andrewparker wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:26 pm Beggars belief that Cupra will sell you a highly specced ID3, but VW won't.
To be fair, the order book doesn't yet appear to be open and there is no indication as yet as to when these cars may be delivered. It may be a significant wait...
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

daern wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:32 pm
andrewparker wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:26 pm Beggars belief that Cupra will sell you a highly specced ID3, but VW won't.
To be fair, the order book doesn't yet appear to be open and there is no indication as yet as to when these cars may be delivered. It may be a significant wait...
It was more things like bucket seats and upgraded audio I was referring to. At around £40k I think I'd choose the Born over an ID3 Max.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
DickieBoy

Post by DickieBoy »

andrewparker wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:35 pm
It was more things like bucket seats and upgraded audio I was referring to. At around £40k I think I'd choose the Born over an ID3 Max.
Looks like they are going with the Born being the 'hot hatch' styling of the family. No idea what you get with the Max but I would prefer the matrix lights over bucket seats and sound system. At least this gives an option to those who wouldn't though.
Family Pro owner (Sept 22)
andrewparker

Post by andrewparker »

DickieBoy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:00 pm

Looks like they are going with the Born being the 'hot hatch' styling of the family. No idea what you get with the Max but I would prefer the matrix lights over bucket seats and sound system. At least this gives an option to those who wouldn't though.
It's a moot point given VW can't even sell you a car with matrix LEDs at the moment.
VW up! GTI / Tungsten
DickieBoy

Post by DickieBoy »

andrewparker wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:19 pm
DickieBoy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:00 pm

It's a moot point given VW can't even sell you a car with matrix LEDs at the moment.
Yeah although Cupra can't sell you a Born with bucket seats or Bose speakers at the moment either. :)

All in all they need to differentiate the cars somehow. Think folk will just be happy to get a car within a year of ordering at the moment.
Family Pro owner (Sept 22)
daern

Post by daern »

DickieBoy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:30 pm All in all they need to differentiate the cars somehow.
I wonder how they could....
DickieBoy wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:30 pm Think folk will just be happy to get a car within a year of ordering at the moment.
...ah, yes. That would do it! ;)