Direct Comparison to the Cupra Born

The place to discuss everything else..
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:44 am
Scratch wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:01 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:40 pm Just complete the initial estimate on the motorway website and see what comes up. I beat their price twice (not by much, so the estimates seem accurate).

I really do think you'll need to be quick if you want to snap up a Born already built and waiting to go.
The Motorway initial estimate - is that the target figure? i.e. it may or may not be beaten? If it doesn't reach that target, do they expect you to accept whatever the lower figure comes out as?
Sorry to treat you as the guru on this subject, but I couldn't find anything about this on their website.
That figure is the target figure for your car, based on previous sales of cars of your type, usually it is set at your "reserve" for the auction they hold - if it beats that price, they'll say your car is "sold" (although you can still change your mind at this point. You can agree a reserve price wherever you want, but the initial estimate is probably a fair price to draw your bottom line at.

Once your car is considered sold, the buyer will want scans of your V5 and drivers license to prove the car's credentials and they'll send someone up to take a quick look to see it is as described, ring their boss, get payment by BACs to you and then drive off with it.
Thanks

Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Need to find a dealer with a V1 in grey or white... Sunderland only have an aurora blue!
2016-2021 - Nissan Leaf Tekna 24
Sept 21-Jul 22- VW ID.3 Life Pro Moonstone
July 22 on - Cupra Born V1, Vapor grey, Tech Pack L, 19" Typhoon alloys
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Do heated seats and wheel not appear until the V2 spec?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Blackeunos wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:23 pm Need to find a dealer with a V1 in grey or white... Sunderland only have an aurora blue!
Is Sunderlad local to you? If so, have you tried asking S G Petch in Durham if they have anything?
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Derekosb

Post by Derekosb »

Blackeunos wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:35 pm Do heated seats and wheel not appear until the V2 spec?
Heated steering wheel is standard throughout the range.

Heated seats is a V2 and above standard fit.

HTH

D
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:26 pm Is Sunderlad local to you? If so, have you tried asking S G Petch in Durham if they have anything?
I'm in North West Durham.

I thought they had to be a cupra dealer rather than just a Seat dealer, or do the Seat dealers sell the Born as well?
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Derekosb wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:47 am Heated steering wheel is standard throughout the range.

Heated seats is a V2 and above standard fit.
Cheers, I think the heated wheel is the more important of the two for me, so that sounds okay.

If the V1 had heated seats as well it would be perfect, however, rear view camera, alloys and that more powerful motor over the Life Pro could just swing it for me.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Not wishing to hijack this thread, but with what appears to be quite a few jumping ship from the ID3 to the Born, how old are these ID3's? Anyone jumped before their ID3 was 12 months old? I have said previously that if the Born had been available when I bought my ID3, I would have got the Born. But the dilemma for me is that my ID3 is 10 months old. I have never traded a car that new previously. The issue is the value of my ID3, like others, has increased significantly, plus the government grant and a VW incentive, all helped.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:07 am Not wishing to hijack this thread, but with what appears to be quite a few jumping ship from the ID3 to the Born, how old are these ID3's? Anyone jumped before their ID3 was 12 months old? I have said previously that if the Born had been available when I bought my ID3, I would have got the Born. But the dilemma for me is that my ID3 is 10 months old. I have never traded a car that new previously. The issue is the value of my ID3, like others, has increased significantly, plus the government grant and a VW incentive, all helped.
13 month old ID3 Life and 12 month old ID3 Family sold on Motorway. The Family was worth about £4k more. If you are thinking of switching, you need to know the cost to change and decide accordingly.

If your ID3 is bought outright, its a bit easier to sell. If its on PCP, you need a settlement figure from VW and the buyer will have to settle your finance and give you the remainder. As the buyer is likely to be a main dealership near London, this shouldn't be a problem for them - my Life went to a Honda dealership near Hounslow, London, and the Family went to VW Beadles in Chelmsford, Essex.

Do a quick check on Motorway.co.uk to see what you're likely to get, see what the Born you're after is going for on the likes of Autotrader or local dealership stock you're aware of (you'll pay RRP, you won't get a discoount in this sellers market, there's no grant any more and there are no Cupra finance incentives).

Do your sums and see if its viable for you.

Example - You have a 10 month old Life PP and Motorway say it's worth £35k, and your settlement figure from VWFS is £26k, you have £9k equity.

You pick a V2 Born for £38k, and use that £9k equity as deposit, effectively financing £29k - what are your PCP monthlies like? The Cupra website's finance calculator should allow you to put in a higher deposit and see what the monthlies are over the term you pick.

If its a goer, deflect the dealership's attempts to get you to but their GAP, Lifeshine and alloys/tyres insurance and just pay list, take their finance if you need to.

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Blackeunos wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:47 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:26 pm Is Sunderlad local to you? If so, have you tried asking S G Petch in Durham if they have anything?
I'm in North West Durham.

I thought they had to be a Cupra dealer rather than just a Seat dealer, or do the Seat dealers sell the Born as well?
Depends on the dealer. All Cupra dealerships are also Seat dealerships, to my knowledge, but not all Seat dealerships are also Cupra dealerships. Not sure if S G Petch are doing Cupra too.

Presumably Pulman Durham is your nearest Cupra dealership (its pretty grim looking as dealerships go), they have a V1 demo in red and a V2 e-boost 230ps demo in silver to test drive.

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:44 am
Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:07 am Not wishing to hijack this thread, but with what appears to be quite a few jumping ship from the ID3 to the Born, how old are these ID3's? Anyone jumped before their ID3 was 12 months old? I have said previously that if the Born had been available when I bought my ID3, I would have got the Born. But the dilemma for me is that my ID3 is 10 months old. I have never traded a car that new previously. The issue is the value of my ID3, like others, has increased significantly, plus the government grant and a VW incentive, all helped.
13 month old ID3 Life and 12 month old ID3 Family sold on Motorway. The Family was worth about £4k more. If you are thinking of switching, you need to know the cost to change and decide accordingly.

If your ID3 is bought outright, its a bit easier to sell. If its on PCP, you need a settlement figure from VW and the buyer will have to settle your finance and give you the remainder. As the buyer is likely to be a main dealership near London, this shouldn't be a problem for them - my Life went to a Honda dealership near Hounslow, London, and the Family went to VW Beadles in Chelmsford, Essex.

Do a quick check on Motorway.co.uk to see what you're likely to get, see what the Born you're after is going for on the likes of Autotrader or local dealership stock you're aware of (you'll pay RRP, you won't get a discoount in this sellers market, there's no grant any more and there are no Cupra finance incentives).

Do your sums and see if its viable for you.

Example - You have a 10 month old Life PP and Motorway say it's worth £35k, and your settlement figure from VWFS is £26k, you have £9k equity.

You pick a V2 Born for £38k, and use that £9k equity as deposit, effectively financing £29k - what are your PCP monthlies like? The Cupra website's finance calculator should allow you to put in a higher deposit and see what the monthlies are over the term you pick.

If its a goer, deflect the dealership's attempts to get you to but their GAP, Lifeshine and alloys/tyres insurance and just pay list, take their finance if you need to.
Thanks for the reply.
I have been tentatively checking with Motorway, and it seems, for my Life PP anyway, that the value is dropping quite rapidly. It went from over 35K to 34K in a week, about 2 weeks ago.
Still can't make my mind up what to do, and by the time I do, I suppose all the Borns will be sold. C'est la vie.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:26 am
Thanks for the reply.
I have been tentatively checking with Motorway, and it seems, for my Life PP anyway, that the value is dropping quite rapidly. It went from over 35K to 34K in a week, about 2 weeks ago.
Still can't make my mind up what to do, and by the time I do, I suppose all the Borns will be sold. C'est la vie.
Do you have finance or bought outright? You might have a rough idea of your settlement amount if you remember what the purchase price was net of all incentives and consider that only about 60% of your monthlies would have actually been clearing capital in year 1 of a 3 or 4 year PCP.

If there's no cost to change, i'm sure you won't regret it, the Born is a marginally better car like for like on the outputs, if you have an appreciation for hot hatch styling. If there is a cost to change and its in line with what you expected to lose , then it still could be worth it.

You might find the big value drop to be an isolated incident related to a milestone change.

What spec is your car? Life Pro Performance 58kWh or Life Pro 45kWh or 58kWh? If it's a Pro rather than Pro Performance, being 3 months younger than mine was, but with the smaller output motor and/or battery, with or without alloys, that might be about right.

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:43 am
Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:26 am
Thanks for the reply.
Do you have finance or bought outright? You might have a rough idea of your settlement amount if you remember what the purchase price was net of all incentives and consider that only about 60% of your monthlies would have actually been clearing capital in year 1 of a 3 or 4 year PCP.

If there's no cost to change, i'm sure you won't regret it, the Born is a marginally better car like for like on the outputs, if you have an appreciation for hot hatch styling. If there is a cost to change and its in line with what you expected to lose , then it still could be worth it.

You might find the big value drop to be an isolated incident related to a milestone change.

What spec is your car? Life Pro Performance 58kWh or Life Pro 45kWh or 58kWh? If it's a Pro rather than Pro Performance, being 3 months younger than mine was, but with the smaller output motor and/or battery, with or without alloys, that might be about right.
Owned outright, no finance.
As per the Motorway values I quoted, I think it would cost me between 4 and 5K to change. Mine is a 58kwh Pro Performance, east Derrys and heat pump, with not many miles - 4800.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:50 am
As per the Motorway values I quoted, I think it would cost me between 4 and 5K to change. Mine is a 58kwh Pro Performance, east Derrys and heat pump, with not many miles - 4800.
With respect to your spec, it would seem as though values are softening slightly. What were you looking to change to? V2 E-Boost with metallic paint and the L-Tech pack that seems to be already specced on most of the demo stock coming through? Or another 204ps variant?

I had to pay about £4600 to change mine up, for the missus' Family to change, it was more like £800! The Family was commanding a far better price than the Life weeks ago. I don't mind the cost to change, the RRP differences cover half that cost to change.

I'm not convinced I got any more for my Life's alloys, the Motorway form doesn't take any account of optional alloys to up the valuation originally quoted, so I suppose there's a reliance on the buyer knowing what's optional and what's standard - mot sure my Honda dealership buyer for my Life knew or cared that the alloys were ont standard. Similarly, for your heat hump, I doubt anyone knows or cares that it's optional, most people don't know what one does, let alone the optional cost.

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:05 am
With respect to your spec, it would seem as though values are softening slightly. What were you looking to change to? V2 E-Boost with metallic paint and the L-Tech pack that seems to be already specced on most of the demo stock coming through? Or another 204ps variant?

I had to pay about £4600 to change mine up, for the missus' Family to change, it was more like £800! The Family was commanding a far better price than the Life weeks ago. I don't mind the cost to change, the RRP differences cover half that cost to change.

I'm not convinced I got any more for my Life's alloys, the Motorway form doesn't take any account of optional alloys to up the valuation originally quoted, so I suppose there's a reliance on the buyer knowing what's optional and what's standard - mot sure my Honda dealership buyer for my Life knew or cared that the alloys were ont standard. Similarly, for your heat hump, I doubt anyone knows or cares that it's optional, most people don't know what one does, let alone the optional cost.
I wasn't particularly bothered about the e-boost, our present ID3 is plenty fast enough for me. But if that was all they had at the time, I would probably take it. I like the blue, but don't dislike the silver or red or the black(ish). And preferably a V2.
Was it you that had an issue with the paintwork on a Blue Born? If so, how did that work out?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Scratch wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:20 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:05 am

I wasn't particularly bothered about the e-boost, our present ID3 is plenty fast enough for me. But if that was all they had at the time, I would probably take it. I like the blue, but don't dislike the silver or red or the black(ish).
Was it you that had an issue with the paintwork on a Blue Born? If so, how did that work out?
Yes, it was the wife's Aurora blue with issues - nothing wrong with the paint application to the car, just the worst PDI prep by far I have ever had on a new VAG car (we're now on our 16th!). The majority of the paintwork felt like frosted glass, the dealer doesn't give a crap - they're 283 miles away and probably wouldn't rectify anyway, and the local dealership group warranty team have confirmed that the car is just massively contaminated with airborned powdered tree sap that's an absolute bugger to remove. I spent 4 hours yesterday treating the car with a tar/wax/adhesive removal product that's probably removed 80% of it completely and what remains is much improved - just the tops of the 2 doors on the drivers side and the drivers wing mirror cap are noticeably rough still (but far less rough). Probably needs a clay bar to finish off, but i'm reluctant to use on on paint that is so new and soft. it doesn't look rough, but it does feel rough, but would've undoubtedly been easier to remove at the time of PDI rather than a week or 2 later when it's had the opportunity to bake on.

I'm awaiting my Cupra UK customer satisfaction survey (already had it for the white one) so I can give the Woking dealership a rock bottom rating with their absolute reluctance to acknowledge the big gap in the sill (now rectified locally, no thanks to them), the paintwork prep issues and having to pick up the car from their grotty little Arthur Daley style used car lot around the corner from their main dealership premises.

The blue colour is great - generally a teal/sea blue, but when the light is on it, it goes sapphire blue, with the bits in the shade looking purple.

The Silver demo in Pulman that I test drove looks great too, but silver has always been a bugger to colour match if you need any paintwork doing. The equivalent to Manganese Grey (blackish) on the ID3 makes the ID3 look sleek, but it seems to hide the lines of the Cupra and make it look less sporty.

I marginally prefer my white one to the wife's Aurora Blue, because it looks great in all lighting - it's the colour I would pick if all were lined up in front of me and available.

duncsand

Post by duncsand »

I highly recommend a clay mitt - much, much easier to use. Like a 1,000% easier than normal clay. I use the G2 Pro mitt you can pick up in Halfords.
---
id.3 Family Pro Performance.
Ordered September 2021, build week 25, confirmed built 1st July, collected from dealer 20th July.
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

Saw my first born in the wild this weekend sat in the Silverstone park and ride car park. Drove past it on the bus and caught it out of the corner of my eye and had a look thinking it was an iD.3.

Looked nice, in the fleeting glance I got.

I'm supposed to be test driving one tomorrow night after work, but don't think I'm going to have time to, so might have to rearrange for the weekend.
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

I’ve just jumped ship to a Born. By some miracle my local dealer had one I a liked new in the showroom. It’s a V1 in Aurora blue with Typoon wheels and Tech pack L.

It’s so much nicer inside and was surprised how different it was to drive. Getting it next Friday. That’s the shortest I’ve ever owned a car but they are giving me more than I paid for it in PX so nothing to lose apart from £55 a month more!
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Blackeunos

Post by Blackeunos »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:09 pm so nothing to lose apart from £55 a month more!
I'm off to have a look tomorrow, I've 'guesstimated' the figures at £12 more per month, with an extra £1100 on the GFV, but I won't be putting in £500 deposit like I did with my iD.3, so the man maths comes out at a difference in total payback of around £900... obviously this excludes the 10 months of payments of £200-odd quid I've made, but that's man maths for you! 🤣