Dealer wants paying in advance..

The place to discuss everything else..
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Quick Q - due to pick up on Monday - and the dealer has just rung wanting the balance to be paid today ‘so it can go through’ for Monday. I’ve initially declined as I’m buying the car on spec - never seen it or the dealer… and whilst 99% sure it’s legit it niggles…

Before I’ve always paid/settled/transferred on the day - whilst there…

Cheers.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

(It’s for a few £000 not the full amount etc.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

We were asked to pay for ours a day or two in advance in January. We just told them we weren't willing to pay until we had looked over the car, but would ensure in advance we had payment ready to go so that they could confirm receipt before we drove off. They didn't argue.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Thanks - that’s my view too - I want to have a good look over before handing over any £££!
Bubba82

Post by Bubba82 »

I could understand if it the last day of the month today and they want the money for the month end etc I did that on a car recently but saw it in its unwrapped state at the time…but it isn’t, make him wait till Monday as it’s a normal working day!
ID3 family pro in Turquoise with east Derry alloys
Ordered 21/9/2021…..Cancelled 19/3/2022
Was order No 31477
Original Confirmed build week 51 2021
Build week cancelled due to MY update
New build week of 35,36 now 40 2022 status 10
Delivery not now
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Yes - I’m tempted to send a fiver just to show it works etc 😁
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The annoying thing is - this is the type of thing that should be made clear/explained/in the T&C’s etc - then no problem - but it’s been sprung upon me. I’m sure they can wait.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

MotMot wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:53 am Quick Q - due to pick up on Monday - and the dealer has just rung wanting the balance to be paid today ‘so it can go through’ for Monday. I’ve initially declined as I’m buying the car on spec - never seen it or the dealer… and whilst 99% sure it’s legit it niggles…

Before I’ve always paid/settled/transferred on the day - whilst there…

Cheers.

I have a policy for dealers asking for stuff like this :

Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
ytshome

Post by ytshome »

Personally I’ve had this a number of times, especially with premium brands and I do pay in advance as it makes the process much quicker on the day. Banks now go through security so you know that you are paying it into the Main Dealer account rather than the salesman’s slush fund. That said, we are all different. Enjoy your car.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Well all went fine today - with a couple of minor hiccups/strange things.....

1. The car came with mats as 'optional extra's' which I didnt need - but they wouldn't take then off the bill (it was in the original advert spec they said) - oh well I can shift them on ebay (or here!)
2. It didn't have a type 2 lead with it!!! Bizarrely in the boot are the folded paper instructions for the 'mode 3 type two charging lead' but no lead. Instead - they'd put a granny charger (new) in. They'd also added this to the bill - but then also added a £200 discount - presumably for the lead (go figure). I asked if I could keep my old type 2 lead and they said fine - but they would'nt give me the money back for the granny charger.....

So - bizarrely, I now have a spare granny charger (genuine VW) which is for sale if anyone wants it - also a set of carpets similarly for sale! :D

Anyway - otherwise fine! Odd - as if they didnt sell many electric cars.......
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:56 pm Well all went fine today - with a couple of minor hiccups/strange things.....

1. The car came with mats as 'optional extra's' which I didnt need - but they wouldn't take then off the bill (it was in the original advert spec they said) - oh well I can shift them on ebay (or here!)
2. It didn't have a type 2 lead with it!!! Bizarrely in the boot are the folded paper instructions for the 'mode 3 type two charging lead' but no lead. Instead - they'd put a granny charger (new) in. They'd also added this to the bill - but then also added a £200 discount - presumably for the lead (go figure). I asked if I could keep my old type 2 lead and they said fine - but they would'nt give me the money back for the granny charger.....

So - bizarrely, I now have a spare granny charger (genuine VW) which is for sale if anyone wants it - also a set of carpets similarly for sale! :D

Anyway - otherwise fine! Odd - as if they didnt sell many electric cars.......
That all sounds highly irregular - all ID3s ID4s and Cupra Borns come with a type 2 lead, they're standard equipment and should you go to sell your EV down the line, the first thing the receiving dealership will ask is "where's the type 2 lead? If you haven't got it, we'll drop the price of your p/x or sale by £200".

So they can adjust the invoice if you wanted to keep your old type 2 lead to charge you for the currently free granny lead, but they can't adjust it to knock off the cost of the mats you don't want? What a bunch of sheisters. Who are these jokers?

I have had to rebuff a few advances for GAP/Lifeshine/Wheel and Tyre insurance for the incoming Born. I suppose its these dealerships' bread and butter, that and the finance i'm not taking. They didn't really contest the lack of finance - there's no incentive to take it right now, which I find strange.

Even if it was a free service pack that'd realistically cost VWFS all of 2 hours labour billable at £55 an hour (warranty/service pack agreed rates, or there abouts), an £17 pollen filter and 2l of brake fluid - I would take the finance, settle within 14 days and keep the service pack - did that with my A4 Avant.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Busman

Post by Busman »

The business with the mats and Charger is a bit weird Mats and chargers are normally standard and included as standard.I got both a granny and type 2 charger at no extra charge in Ireland.ID Pro 58KWh with heat pump Delivered in May also with Park assist.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

yes - I couldnt figure it out. Anyway - I couldn't be bothered to quibble seeing as I was getting a fairly decent deal on the car anyway...
who knows! The weird one was the instructions for the type 2 lead - which means it must have had one once...

It also didnt have the little USBC - lightning cable that my life came with - so I simply swapped that over too...
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

MotMot wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:35 pm yes - I couldnt figure it out. Anyway - I couldn't be bothered to quibble seeing as I was getting a fairly decent deal on the car anyway...
who knows! The weird one was the instructions for the type 2 lead - which means it must have had one once...

It also didnt have the little USBC - lightning cable that my life came with - so I simply swapped that over too...
We weren't going to get a lightning cable until I specifically asked for it, then they looked a bit sheepish and went and got one from their office. That dealer were clearly only giving them out if people asked.

Did you get the tyres/software you wanted? :D
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

MotMot wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:35 pm yes - I couldnt figure it out. Anyway - I couldn't be bothered to quibble seeing as I was getting a fairly decent deal on the car anyway...

Sounds like someone at the dealership wanted one for home and didn't want to pay for it.

My dad had the first MK7 Golf GTD in the country apparently (ordered a month after me and got his 3 months earlier than me :?: The loops at the bottom of the key were supposed to be chrome attachments with embossed with "GTD", funnily enough they weren't there at handover, just the plain black plastic loops. My Dad didn't know any better, but I did - they went and found the metal loops and someone who works there was probably disappointed they didn't have them to stick on their bog standard 140ps Golf TDI's keys.

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

@sidehaas - v2.3 (I expected thet tbh) but Conti’s as tyres 👍👍👍

This was the delivery miles GOM with a 100% charge 😂😂😂

48798BAF-FC04-4F05-B7F8-3A1C8E810D63.jpeg

Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

MotMot wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:08 pm Thanks - that’s my view too - I want to have a good look over before handing over any £££!
Just curious and assuming this is a new car. What are you expecting to look over?

Totally understand for a second hand and goes without saying, but new, it will be mint. Never had to look over a new car before and we have had a few over the years. Am I missing something.
ID.3 Family 58kWh Pro 204PS Moonstone Grey / East Derry alloys (Nov 22)
UK based
Deleted User 1733

Post by Deleted User 1733 »

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:30 am
MotMot wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:08 pm Thanks - that’s my view too - I want to have a good look over before handing over any £££!
Just curious and assuming this is a new car. What are you expecting to look over?

Totally understand for a second hand and goes without saying, but new, it will be mint. Never had to look over a new car before and we have had a few over the years. Am I missing something.
Missing options, transport damage, functioning software, no scratches or scuffs, have had to reject a couple of new cars in my time due to it not being “ mint “
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

My post (a while back!) was also because I’d bought the car over the phone - from a dealers ad in Autotrader - and was a bit wary of transferring a few K bearing in mind I didn’t actually know if they existed etc!! Which they did - and all was fine - and still is fine.

(Apart from having the 2.4 update postponed 3 times - still waiting!)
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Wilhelm wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:30 am

You hope it will be mint.

A Polo bought new in 1999, my factory fresh order, not a stock car hanging around a while. First time I washed it, I noticed a pressing error on the front wing - perfect 2" line creased into the wheel arch, with a perfect paint job. VW QC missed it and the dealership's PDI missed it. They resprayed the surrounding area 3 times to blend in after sorting out the crease, never got a perfect match (diamond black metallic). The same car had split stitching on the rear seat bench when no one had sat on it yet - I noticed when I went to scotch gard the seats and carpets a few days into ownership.

My new Scirocco bought in 2011 had a big crack on the inside of the windscreen, top drivers side corner - not seen by PDI.

My 2013 Golf GTD had 1 set of transport pucks left on the front shocksfrom the PDI - wrecked the front top mount bearings after a week of driving.

One of our 2 2022 Cupra Borns had a big gap between the sill and the screwed on sill extensions - all things the PDI missed or ignored in the hope I wouldn't notice. When you're buying locally it's not too bad, but buying from a distance can be, VAG generally wash their hands of a physically apparent defect present from manufacture, if PDI didn't pick it up and report it, putting the onus back on the supplying dealer to rectify at their own cost. If that dealer is 250 miles from home, that's a PITA to resolve if the dealership won't fund a local resolution and make you come back to them.