Long-distance Public Charging network experience

The place to discuss everything else..
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

I’ve ranted elsewhere about this. Just completed 1000 mile trip, from Blairgowrie, Perthshire - a week near Alnwick and a week with family in South Wales, so followed the east coast down past Seahouses, then down A1, M1, M5 and this week back up the M6.
I’d downloaded apps, sent for RFID cards (about 5), gathered from ZapMap that motorway service station Ecotricity chargers were very frequently useless and identified other rapid chargers en route. At various times, 2 apps dismissed my access to chargers, 2 that I had cards for ended up costing me the ‘guest’ price, 2 turned out not to need app or card and were free, 1 on the ID.3 satnav turned out not to exist, and a Tesco slow charger refused to release my cable from either end.
On the M6 return leg, the Legh Arms Inn, Knutsford charger was occupied when I got there (nice beer garden and outdoor drinking tents), waited half an hour, set off for Lymm then Knutsford services where not a single charger was operational, so returned to charge successfully at Legh Arms (thanks ZapMap) and arrived at Gretna to find 4 unoccupied super 350Kw Ionity chargers. So safely home with just under 12% left after a 12-hour trip, wasting mileage, time, charge and nervous energy around Knutsford.
The profusion of charging networks across England and miserable maintenance record of Ecotricity’s so-called Electric Highway at motorway service stations would put most people off major EV journeys across the country at a time when EV ownership is soaring. I guess 90% of owners only commute and travel limited and ‘safe’ trips.
Scotland seems to have a pretty unified network in ChargePlace Scotland at which ChargeyourCar RFID cards seem to work well (although the app is crap). Charging seems largely free at the moment although the network is shifting soon to a single private firm working closely with Transport Scotland - and it’ll probably cost the going rate. I say “seems” because I’ve only had the ID.3 a month and have only tried to charge once here.
The car was great on all roads at all speeds, but the voice lady drove us up the wall and the electric drive failed to engage gears on several occasions, so it’s booked in for a check on Thursday. Happy trails!

Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

Interesting report Keith! Much as expectations might predict regarding Motorway Services at the moment - things can only improve with the likes of GridServe paving the way. I'm in Scotland, have just ordered an ID3 (due in September), and will be getting the Charge Place Scotland card. I don't know what to think about the new 'ownership' at the moment; one of their chargers nearby has not worked for at least six months! Thankfully I will have no need to use it.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Ecotricity have just opened their first High Powered Charging site at New Rugby services M6 Junction 1. There's 12 CCS. Which sounds quite a lot when they have only seem to have 2 ? on the motorways. But if we are all moving to electric cars that's not many. I wont be using the Rugby ones - its not on the way anywhere for us. Used the Ionity chargers at Milton Keynes the other week - quite quick (15 to 20 MIns) only 4 though. Ionity don't seem to be expanding their network . They seem to be at random places in the country.

Just trying to work out how I can get from Leicester to Cardiff for a wedding - and where the high speed charging sites are ? Not many !
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

Just trying to work out how I can get from Leicester to Cardiff for a wedding - and where the high speed charging sites are ? Not many !
That’s only about 150 miles so you would only need a short top up on a 50kw charger and there’s a few in Cardiff and close by including Bp pulse at holiday inn
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Warminster id wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:10 pm Just trying to work out how I can get from Leicester to Cardiff for a wedding - and where the high speed charging sites are ? Not many !
That’s only about 150 miles so you would only need a short top up on a 50kw charger and there’s a few in Cardiff and close by including Bp pulse at holiday inn

Have you tried the ABRP app?

You can tell it what car you have, your start and end charge levels, how low you’d be happy letting the car go before charging, preferred chargers, and more.

For a round trip like that, set you Leicester location as the start and end with your Cardiff location as a waypoint - see what it suggests.
KeithR

Post by KeithR »

Warminster id - there’s an Osprey fast charger at Two Rivers Inn car park in Chepstow, quite new and it seems reliable a couple of miles off the M48.
Warminster id

Post by Warminster id »

KeithR wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:19 pm Warminster id - there’s an Osprey fast charger at Two Rivers Inn car park in Chepstow, quite new and it seems reliable a couple of miles off the M48.
Hi guys,
Sorry I forgot the quote marks in my last post it was ph66 that was going to the wedding, I’m sure he is happy with the help.
Life pro performance grey/steels standard car