We Connect App whilst charging

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Idmania3

Post by Idmania3 »

Hi Everyone,
I have just returned from a holiday in Cornwall and have used public chargers for the first time.
Whilst using any public charger my We Connect App will not open and just closes immediately.
It means that I was unable to see the SOC and had to stay around the vehicle to check when it was charged.
Has anyone else had this issue.
VW id3 1st Edition Moonstone Grey
Octopus referral. www.share.octopus.energy/harsh-hippo-272

Averloc

Post by Averloc »

Since the recent app update it crashes when I'm home charging as well.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

After the 2.1 update mine played up. Whether this was coincidence or not I deleted Home Location where there were some settings logged and since then the app has been at its best.
I can stop and start charging, reset charge-to % and see charging progress.
I charge from a granny at the moment and its really behaving well.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

We used a public charger today for the first time since the app update and the same thing happened to us. Very frustrating if you want leave the car to have a coffee or go shopping, but don't want to have people waiting for you to get back to your fully charged car so they can use the charger.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

I was charging my car yesterday at a public charger and had what sounds like the same issue too. Every time I tried to open the app to check the progress of the charge it was crashing almost immediately. It hasn't done this in the past. I think the app may have updated itself the other day as I had to login for the first time in ages and accept Ts and Cs and agree to WeCharge having access. Maybe this has caused the issue somehow. I can use the app now to see the current state of charge but I'm not charging. Hopefully it gets fixed before I need to charge again.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

You could always install Tronity, it's currently free for ID. owners.

https://www.tronity.io/?lang=en

Apps in whatever app store you use for your phone, I have it on my iPhone and Apple Watch too.
daesimpso

Post by daesimpso »

How do you get it for free, as I can only see paid subscriptions?
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

They don't charge you if you've an iD due to the lack of data being available externally.
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

I had solar while using Instavolt in North Wales, however my wife was able to open it on her phone. I deleted the app and reinstalled but the didn't work. Oddly the next day at the same charger it worked.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

I contacted VW Digital Services about the problem with the app and received the following reply:
Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Digital Services.

We are sorry to hear about the inconvenience you are currently facing after the latest update of the We Connect ID. app, however, we will be more than happy to assist you.

We would like to recommend your completely remove the app from your smartphone clearing the cache and cookies, restarting and re install the latest We Connect ID. app.

You may also check the charging status if you connect to the myVolkswagen portal at the following address:

https://myvolkswagen.net

If the issue is not resolved, kindly reply to this email with the following additional information so we may examine the case further:

Your smartphone model and operating system version.
Your mobile data provider and signal strength.
The We Connect ID. app version.
A Screenshot of the System Information of the Infotainment System ie Software Version (“Settings” → “System Information”).

For further clarifications, we remain at your disposal around the clock, 7 days a week. You may reply to this email, or call us on our dedicated line 0800 – 2797508.
I've just done this myself, but I won't be near a charger to test it for a couple of days. Perhaps someone else who is also having trouble could give it a try.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I've just encountered this issue. Plus although I have never had an issue previously I have just plugged my Zappi in on fast mode for a buffer before I pop out later. It's only charging at 1.2kW whatever I do with the settings.

Edit: OK the app still crashes, the car had an error stating "Only emergency charging is currently possible. Please consult vehicle wallet.". I unplugged the charger and plugged it back in and it's now pulling 7.7kW :)
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

I've had the same problem but only noticed it while home charging. The app closes immediately on opening and repeats this performance however many times I try. Restarting my phone doesn't fix it but later on (probably when off charge - I hadn't made that connection) it works again. So it's nothing to do with the cache or cookies, it's just a crappy app.
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

ProstetnicVogonJeltz wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:54 pm I've had the same problem but only noticed it while home charging. The app closes immediately on opening and repeats this performance however many times I try. Restarting my phone doesn't fix it but later on (probably when off charge - I hadn't made that connection) it works again. So it's nothing to do with the cache or cookies, it's just a crappy app.
Mine has done the same both at home and on a fast charger but worked normally on both occasions after it had been charging for a few minutes
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

My Android We Connect ID app crashed immediately when using my (first ever) rapid charging. Wife's iphone was fine so we could at least check the charging progress. VW have asked if this is a problem that only occurs with rapid charging, so at some time tonight between 12:30 and 04:30, I'll be checking....(sigh).....
id3 Max 2021
SinglePointSafety

SinglePointSafety wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:55 pm My Android We Connect ID app crashed immediately when using my (first ever) rapid charging. Wife's iphone was fine so we could at least check the charging progress. VW have asked if this is a problem that only occurs with rapid charging, so at some time tonight between 12:30 and 04:30, I'll be checking....(sigh).....
OK, so I did indeed check this and... the app works just fine when my home EV charger is delivering its 7 kW.

Weird that the app's functionality seems to depend on the car's charging rate.....!
id3 Max 2021
daesimpso

Post by daesimpso »

I’ve just used a public charger for the third time since getting the car a week ago (different types of charger in different locations). Every time I’ve monitored the charger in the We Connect app with no issues.

Car came with 2.3 software
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Single point..
I dont know if its charging rate or something else.
In the past 9 months my app has been up and down for no apparent reason so many times. Sometimes fails to display on a granny, 7Kw or 11kw.
I have deleted and reinstalled many times.
Sometimes it resolves it, sometimes it seems to self correct after 24 hours.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
SinglePointSafety

Daveion, yes, you're probably right: the app's behaviour might not be predictable or reproducible (on my droid phone at least) but so far my experience has been limited since it took a manual intervention by 'VW central' to get the app to connect to the car at all.

if I see any pattern, I'll report back.
id3 Max 2021
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

So I have joined those who can't see the charge process on the WCApp.... appropriate name!
I am connected to a 50kw pod point and can see remotely whats happening via Tronity App 👍
So 1 point to Tronity although my car just will not leave Berlin by location map????
Any ideas?
Dave
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
SinglePointSafety

My app's behaviour is (nearly) reproducible: home EV charger not charging, all is fine. Car starts to charge, app crashes instantly. Re-start app, crashes instantly. Re-start phone, app is fine and does indeed tell me the car is charging. (Sigh). No doubt there are multiple semi-random permutations that exist.....
id3 Max 2021