Pod Point Load Monitoring

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Pod Point are advising me that I need an additional 2 core cable from my consumer unit to the charger to support the load monitoring device inside the charger. The research I did before ordering didn't show anything but a 6mm 3 core cable.
I need to know if there is also a device that needs to sit inside the meter cupboard and what size it is as its really tight on space.
Pod point have not said what the 2 core terminates Into so it's literally a loose end at the moment.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

fixit

Post by fixit »

I suspect the premises are fused at less than 100A, perhaps 60A? There's a chance of taking this out under full load so the charger will need to lessen its load when it detects high usage from other equipment. It does that via a current sensor between the meter and the company fuse, which is what the 2 care cable is for.
It doesn't need to be heavy duty, just exterior grade.
The only way around that is to contact your electricity company and ask them to upgrade the supply. If the infrastructure will support it, it's just a change of fuse.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Mine was installed by an authorised 3rd-party.

There are 2 cables going to the consumer unit from the Pod Point - one is thin and round, the other is thick and more rectangular in shape.

The thin round one comes back out of the consumer unit and is attached to a clamp over one of the thick cables for the regular electrics.

My supply has a 100A fuse, and there's an isolator for the charger in the consumer unit.

Not a technical answer (!) but seems to back up what they are saying.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

It's probably a CT Clamp (can't imagine it being anything else). The 2 core wire is going to be no more than Network cable, the clamp itself is matchbox (ish) and sits around the main feed into your DB.

https://solarandheatstore.com/product/ct-clamp/
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Thanks. Its just an induction transformer by the sound of things picking up the amperage from the main cable so the 100amp cant be exceeded by the charger ๐Ÿ‘ That can be accommodated if its match box size. First time I have seen that on any of the chargers I have looked at but I would imagine they would all need that feature and cable to look at the total house load.
Many thanks all.
Dave
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

This is my Pod Point installation done through Pod Point

Podpoint.jpg

First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Yup the little dangly black box is a CT clamp alright.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Southwellpeter

Post by Southwellpeter »

PodPoint had to install the white box below my meter box as there was no room in it - I have PV panels and a FIT meter
Life Pro-Performance, Stonewashed Blue, East Derry Alloys, 58KWh battery. Pod Point Home charger
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Bromsgroveuser wrote: โ†‘Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:33 pm This is my Pod Point installation done through Pod Point
๐Ÿ‘Thats not an issue.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22