Vehicle tracking

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

rikimaru wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:51 pm
Scratch wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:26 am Doesn't the map app on IOS tell you where the car is?
Apple Maps only tells you when it detects you’ve parked your car, because it records the location when you disconnect CarPlay. If it gets stolen then Apple Maps has no way of knowing where it’s going.
"because it records the location when you disconnect CarPlay". Are you sure about that? My previous Ford didn't have Carplay and it still found the car.

Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Scratch wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:54 am
Scratch wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:26 am Doesn't the map app on IOS tell you where the car is?
Apple Maps only tells you when it detects you’ve parked your car, because it records the location when you disconnect CarPlay. If it gets stolen then Apple Maps has no way of knowing where it’s going.
"because it records the location when you disconnect CarPlay". Are you sure about that? My previous Ford didn't have Carplay and it still found the car.

It works for either Bluetooth or CarPlay. So if your Ford had a Bluetooth telephone connection, the "Parked Car" feature would still work and store a pin when the phone/car connection ended.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Did it track the car if you drove it without it connected to your phone (even via Bluetooth)?
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

rikimaru wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:38 pm

Did it track the car if you drove it without it connected to your phone (even via Bluetooth)?
I don't know. It was always bluetooth connected.
It's correct that the car can't be tracked whilst it's moving but the thieves would have to stop sometime. I am not knocking the Apple tags by the way, I just don't know if that's the best solution.